British Speedway Forum
Jonny the spud

Isle Of Wight 2014

Have we seen the last of the wightlink islanders ?

The air fence issue may be the death knell for the club. What will happen to the riders either way, what do the fans want to see next year ?

I really hope its not the end of the IOW the bspa should help small clubs if u ask me they could have put a meeting like Dean Felton did at Buxton.

• Like 1

I haven't seen any fundraising activities from the Isle of Wight concerning an 'Air Fence Fund' type thing, yet Buxton (and others) started theirs months ago.

I just hope they haven't left it too late.

Well something would need to be sorted quite quickly so as to avoid leaving their riders in limbo and maybe missing out on other team places

The Air Fence Saga again! Lets have a whip around!

Have we seen the last of the wightlink islanders ?

The air fence issue may be the death knell for the club. What will happen to the riders either way, what do the fans want to see next year ?

I really hope its not the end of the IOW the bspa should help small clubs if u ask me they could have put a meeting like Dean Felton did at Buxton.

The Air Fence Saga again! Lets have a whip around!

I am sure that I read somewhere the cost of an Air Fence is in the region of £20,000?

I haven't seen any fundraising activities from the Isle of Wight concerning an 'Air Fence Fund' type thing, yet Buxton (and others) started theirs months ago.

I just hope they haven't left it too late.

Prominently featured on the home page of the club's OFFICIAL website at www.iowislanders.co for many, many, many weeks now has been a link to the "Smallbrook Airfence Campaign" sir!

Edited by Bryn

Prominently featured on the home page of the club's OFFICIAL website at www.iowislanders.co for many, many, many weeks now has been a link to the "Smallbrook Airfence Campaign" sir!

I stand corrected! Just that I didn't see anything more widely advertised (if advertised is the correct word!), although I admit not to follow every club (be it EL, PL or NL) on Twitter/Facebook etc., I thought I might have seen it somewhere!

As I say apologies, although my original post wasn't to 'have a go' at anyone.

Also, as a footnote, it's great to see you back on the Forum, Bryn and I hope you are getting (or got) near to your usual self.

Edited by The Abbott

I stand corrected! Just that I didn't see anything more widely advertised (if advertised is the correct word!), although I admit not to follow every club (be it EL, PL or NL) on Twitter/Facebook etc., I thought I might have seen it somewhere!

As I say apologies, although my original post wasn't to 'have a go' at anyone.

Also, as a footnote, it's great to see you back on the Forum, Bryn and I hope you are getting (or got) near to your usual self.

No worries sir ( I use this word as I think that whilst some like internet names I'm not a fan and it would sound daft to me to use "The Abbott" :P ) and let me say I certainly didn't think for a moment that your original posting was 'having a go' at anyone. However I felt I should draw attention to the campaign being in existence with full details being carried on the Wightlink Islanders OFFICIAL website.

Personally speaking I've always considered that any club's official website is the most accurate source of any details / info / news that I might want to seek out about that club and, of course, there are links to all club's official sites on the BSPA website.

I'm glad to be back, although bored with the close season already and perhaps wishing too that it would have been possible for me to go to Australia for three months - hopefully next year! :wink:

Edited by Bryn
  • Like 1

air fence!! could they not use one of the poly foam fences? if several clubs " joined together" they could buy one fence and just transport it from track to track or would it be just to big?

air fence!! could they not use one of the poly foam fences? if several clubs " joined together" they could buy one fence and just transport it from track to track or would it be just to big?

[The ferry trips would be a bit exspensive ,,could float them across the solent behind a rowing boat to save money though ?

• Like 1

It would be said to see any club have to close because of the air fence it lucky for club like King's Lynn Cov and Dudley as they use track that already have them there did Oxford have a air fence if so anyone know what happen to it ?

is it really only the air fence issue?

Oh!! That's an intriguing comment? :unsure: