British Speedway Forum
dantodan

British Speedway Promoters Meeting

You've seen what they are doing, they aren't going to go back on that, you can't change it and encouraging others to boycott it won't help anything. Personally I'd rather watch a few young Brits having a go than watch two teams of foreigners seeing who has the fastest bike on a giant slick track, but each to their own.

You can't change anything with that attitude.

If you continue to attend you will allow a lower standard of product to become a precedent.

The promoters are refusing to listen to us. They seem to think being a promoter makes them a celebrity and that nobody know's better than they do. And now look whats happened. The decisions the promoters have made do not support growth, they only support very limited retention. That is no way to run a business and is a recipe for disaster.

It's time to speak with actions, not with words. The promoters have nobody to blame but themselves.

Edited by Synikalle
  • Like 1

You can't change anything with that attitude.

If you continue to attend you will allow a lower standard of product to become a precedent.

The promoters are refusing to listen to us. They seem to think being a promoter makes them a celebrity and that nobody know's better than they do. And now look whats happened.

It's time to speak with actions, not with words. The promoters have nobody to blame but themselves.

The promoters are offering what they can afford to offer. Being a promoter means that they are taking the risks! The new set-up can help British riders, lessen the dependence on foreign riders and hopefully mean that everyone can afford to carry on. They might not be offering what YOU want, but I wan't to give it a fair go. Trying to blackmail them by staying away won't suddenly make them wan't to risk everything on more expensive options, that's already been tried and it lead to this.
  • Like 3

The promoters are offering what they can afford to offer. Being a promoter means that they are taking the risks! The new set-up can help British riders, lessen the dependence on foreign riders and hopefully mean that everyone can afford to carry on. They might not be offering what YOU want, but I wan't to give it a fair go. Trying to blackmail them by staying away won't suddenly make them wan't to risk everything on more expensive options, that's already been tried and it lead to this.

No this is completely wrong. You are a prime example of everything wrong with British Speedway.

They do not need to take expensive measures at all! There are many entirely free marketing options that would help increase attendances across the UK without a doubt. I work for a marketing company which boasts an impressive array of clients and case studies. British Speedway does NOTHING in the form of marketing, or at least nothing of value.

Speedway is a brilliant and exciting sport! There is nothing wrong with it except the complete lack of hype and knowledge. I have never met a single person my age who is familiar with speedway and that is the real issue. The die hard older generation will keep attending, so forget about them! We need to focus each and every one of our efforts on targeting new fans aged 12 - 30.

The BSPA need to stop resting on their laurels as they are clearly not working. Audiences are overwhelmingly of an older generation and in years to come there will be no new blood in the sport to take over when they are no longer around.

If the BSPA were to set up a designated marketing team who could handle the offline aspect of advertising and most crucially of all the online aspect of social media and advertising it would only take a very minimal contribution from each club. This alone could double audiences within just a couple of years!

Reducing the quality of the product to minimize costs is not the way forward! It's like moving your straw around the bottom of the cup to suck up the last few drops when really it need's a refill.

If you'd like to pretend these issues don't exist then be my guest, the BSPA have been doing it for the last 10 years ;)

Edited by Synikalle
  • Like 2

It's simple, I won't be attending speedway in Britain next year and would urge others to do the same.

I will save my money and travel to a Polish Ekstraliga match or two.

You're on your own m8, I can't wait for March :-)

If you have the answer to our sport get involved! I've no money to invest or I would get involved and try to make a difference. As it is I'll just keep on attending British speedway and enjoy watching the racing on show!

Edited by Trees
  • Like 7

You're on your own m8, I can't wait for March :-)

Oh dear, do you really believe that for one second? You couldn't be more wrong.

Edited by Synikalle

OK, perhaps I should add, afa I am concerned!

Edited by Trees

OK, perhaps I should add, afa I am concerned!

I love the sport with a passion, but I feel this is my last opportunity to protest. Actions speak far louder than words.

Can't you talk to your local promoter instead, perhaps he can give you an insight into why these decisions have been made? And try to do some sort of deal with them to make a difference yourself to British speedway?

• Like 1

No this is completely wrong. You are a prime example of everything wrong with British Speedway.

They do not need to take expensive measures at all! There are many entirely free marketing options that would help increase attendances across the UK without a doubt. I work for a marketing company which boasts an impressive array of clients and case studies. British Speedway does NOTHING in the form of marketing, or at least nothing of value.

Speedway is a brilliant and exciting sport! There is nothing wrong with it except the complete lack of hype and knowledge. I have never met a single person my age who is familiar with speedway and that is the real issue.

The BSPA need to stop resting on their laurels as they are clearly not working. Audiences are overwhelmingly of an older generation and in years to come there will be no new blood in the sport to take over when they are no longer around.

If the BSPA were to set up a designated marketing team who could handle the offline aspect of advertising and most crucially of all the online aspect of social media and advertising it would only take a very minimal contribution from each club. This alone could double audiences within just a couple of years!

Reducing the quality of the product to minimize costs is not the way forward! It's like moving your straw around the bottom of the cup to suck up the last few drops when really it need's a refill.

If you'd like to pretend these issues don't exist then be my guest, the BSPA have been doing it for the last 10 years and look where they are now ;)

That's all supposition and maybe's, they have taken steps to address the current problems. They aren't necessarily reducing the quality of the racing , everyone reckons that PL racing is more interesting and exciting than EL, but in most cases the riders are of a lower ranking. I see that you appear to support Poole, don't judge the other clubs by their standards, most other clubs have less crowds, lower potential catchment areas and are totally inaccessible to anyone who doesn't have their own transport. Anyway I'll let you have the last word, or is it "moan"?
  • Like 2

So Koscuich gets £100 + a point, air fares paid, a van, a mechanic to ride at reserve, but a British youngster is only worth £40 a point. Get rid of the GP riders if you want to save money, & stop pretending that this is being done to help them. Nothing against Norbi by the way, just using him as an example.

• Like 2

Can't you talk to your local promoter instead, perhaps he can give you an insight into why these decisions have been made? And try to do some sort of deal with them to make a difference yourself to British speedway?

I have tried so many times. I have spoken to many promoters and others involved with the sport, all the way to the top. I have even offered our services free of charge for a whole season just to show them what can really be done with the right minds in the right places. At worst I have been completely ignored and not even offered the courtesy of a reply or acknowledgement, at best I have been told that they are not interested.

The promoters are sports fans and average businessmen, not marketing graduates who know what they are talking about and can really make a difference.

That's all supposition and maybe's, they have taken steps to address the current problems. They aren't necessarily reducing the quality of the racing , everyone reckons that PL racing is more interesting and exciting than EL, but in most cases the riders are of a lower ranking. I see that you appear to support Poole, don't judge the other clubs by their standards, most other clubs have less crowds, lower potential catchment areas and are totally inaccessible to anyone who doesn't have their own transport. Anyway I'll let you have the last word, or is it "moan"?

With all due respect you are a perfect example of the ignorance shared by many of the promoters. They are not "supposition and maybe's", they are tried and tested methods employed by all top businesses but you are simply out of touch with them.

Even Poole is far from the standard the UK is capable of achieving with the right minds in the right places.

So Koscuich gets £100 + a point, air fares paid, a van, a mechanic to ride at reserve, but a British youngster is only worth £40 a point. stop pretending that this is being done to help them.

Spot on.

Edited by Synikalle
  • Like 1

Speedway is a brilliant and exciting sport! There is nothing wrong with it except the complete lack of hype and knowledge. I have never met a single person my age who is familiar with speedway and that is the real issue. The die hard older generation will keep attending, so forget about them! We need to focus each and every one of our efforts on targeting new fans aged 12 - 30.

If you'd like to pretend these issues don't exist then be my guest, the BSPA have been doing it for the last 10 years ;)

I live in a neighbouring town from Kings Lynn, about 10 mile away. and you see nothing in regards to advertising speedway or reports of meetings. There could be loads of people interested and not even know there is a meeting on.... Plain Crazy.......

Edited by GRW123
  • Like 2

After just checking Twitter, it would seem Lewis might be changing his mind, after Phil Morris gave him a call and explained everything.

You have to laugh. A rider apparently gets the wrong end of the stick, the forum mal-contents take it as gospel and go into meltdown, Wizzer clarifies the position with the rider , but the forum experts (Who have absolutely no idea how it is going to work) are predicting Armageddon.

Give it a break guys. We haven't even had the post-AGM meeting yet , let alone rules being published and the season is still 4 months away. The only thing we can say for sure is Phil Morris is known to be a good bloke , has a passion for the sport and up till now has never really put his name to anything that is detrimental to youth training so maybe one or two should wait until we have the complete picture before jumping in with their size 13's. Plenty of time for that, if necessary when all the details are out.

• Like 6

You have to laugh. A rider apparently gets the wrong end of the stick, the forum mal-contents take it as gospel and go into meltdown, Wizzer clarifies the position with the rider , but the forum experts (Who have absolutely no idea how it is going to work) are predicting Armageddon.

Give it a break guys. We haven't even had the post-AGM meeting yet , let alone rules being published and the season is still 4 months away. The only thing we can say for sure is Phil Morris is known to be a good bloke , has a passion for the sport and up till now has never really put his name to anything that is detrimental to youth training so maybe one or two should wait until we have the complete picture before jumping in with their size 13's. Plenty of time for that, if necessary when all the details are out.

Was just about to post something very similar. I don't know a great deal about Phil Morris, what I do know and have seen over a good few years is that he is very keen on helping youngsters make their way in Speedway. I don't believe that there is any way he would involve himself in a scheme that would hurt the development of young British riders.

If that pay rate is right it may not be a great payday but these are kids who generally would be riding NL at £10 per point (in theory) or PL and not earning any or much more than they are being offered. We don't yet know what the package is but the opportunity is there for a kid to make some big strides if they take advantage of it. As for upgrading to EL equipment that's not strictly true as they will be riding against the same people they would be in the NL and PL. However when the time comes to make the step up perhaps they will be better informed as to the upgrades they really need to make rather than just throwing money at stuff that won't actually make them faster.

• Like 3

Just seen this in the speedway star.

Grants are being considered for elite and premiere league teams who set up second sides in the national league. Subject to a new television contract being agreed.

Great idea this.

• Like 6