British Speedway Forum
dantodan

British Speedway Promoters Meeting

Derek, sorry but your showing exactly the attitude here, lack of understanding and dinosaur thinking of some of the promoters, another example of why you get on so well with some of them especially the completely out of date and touch co promoter at Kent.

In this day and age, a good website IS your best vehicle for publicity and is the essential tool for marketing your club.

Yes, no one needs to pay £300 a week to do this but I can tell you as a proven fact that without the website and the marketing campaign taking people to the website before we launched the Kent Kings it would have been a very different story.

Traditional, archaic promotion brought nothing to the launch of the Kings, and I mean nothing, new techniques, marketing, social media etc did.

Oh, and the website also brought in a very significant revenue in sponsorship, including companies who joined BECAUSE the website was so professional and the high number of hits we could prove.

Shame the same couldn't be said for the program.

This is exactly what is wrong with Kent Speedway and needs changing.

Dinosaurs running the Club instead of new ideas that attract younger new support.

I will say again - over to you Roger.

Why don't the BSPA as a whole get merchandise made and sold on a BSPA website? Look at what the football clubs produce for some ideas on what is popular . . .

a promoter can be successful by signing one exciting crowd pleasing rider from ANYWHERE, and then filling the team with local talent within an acceptable radius of the stadium. I promote events, and apart from die-hard fans of my sport, people only flock in numbers if there is a personal touch to the event i.e. their mates are racing.... I#m not saying the team would be successful but its more than likely that the gates will be more successful.

have an in-house PR guru who has access to all riders facebook and create events to all meetings and invite, 7 riders 1000 friends each, 7000 notifications about the event, hire a photographer, take photos with club promo babes on arrival, upload to the clubs facebook after each meeting, allowing people to tag each other - they then appear on their facebook accounts and their friends see and say "wheres this, i'll give it a try" and so on.... it works

Great idea but of those 7000 invites you may get a couple of dozen people actually turn up as these riders 1000 'friends' are not likely to actually BE the riders friends simply the inevitable bunch of hangers on one picks up on FaceBook that never exchange a word with you after becoming your 'friend'. One would presume the riders friends already go to see him.

So these 24 newcomers arrive at Belle Vue or Lakeside or wherever and find the place is a rubbish tip with a track in the middle.

The presentation is zero, the atmosphere is worse than most funerals and the entertainment again on a par with most funerals but drags on for hours.

Those 24 people return to FB and report 'what a bunch of crap that was' and you simply do more damage than good.

If you don't have something at the end to keep those '7000' interested it's a waste of time and effort.

The sport needs investment in track surfaces to create good racing and at the same time investment in riders to create this 'local talent' for these babes to drape themselves about, that may well promote an atmosphere that may well keep newcomers interested. A bit of work on facilities would not go amiss either.

The power of the Internet is mind boggling and much of what has been said here about websites and building up data bases makes a lot of sense.

I am an old man but I understand and use new technology every day to plan my affairs and keep in touch with people. I would be lost without it.

But if you are going to sell something it helps if you have something to SELL!

Speedway in the UK falls very short in that department sadly.

Edited by pandorum

20 years ago I had Navy 'National League' (now PL) Fleece which I wore a lot. It wasn't a garish 'in-your-face' club jacket one sees around; but instead had a smallish union flag and an understated speedway monikor on one side of the front (and nothing on the back). It's exactly the kind of thing I would buy again. either EL or PL. (The original eventually got nicked when my car it was in was stolen). there are many of us wh don't have a particular affiliation for a club but would love to advertise the sport as a whole in this manner to friends and others who see me whilst I'm out and about..

Edited by Mike.Butler

This is exactly what is wrong with Kent Speedway and needs changing.

Dinosaurs running the Club instead of new ideas that attract younger new support.

I will say again - over to you Roger.

Hmm, reading has never been Nikko's strongest skill and seemingly not yours either.

I haven't said there's anything wrong with a good website (and I most certainly haven't criticised Kent's) - what I was saying was (1) it's an utter nonsense to even remotely suggest any Speedway club would pay someone £300 a week to run one; and (2) that Speedway needs good publicity and a good product and a website alone does not do that. As someone said, good local press attracts people who then may give it a go - far more people stumble on an article in their local paper than are likely to mysteriously 'surf' their way onto a website of a sport they've never heard of.

So, for example, failing to have any kind of reception or presentation for the journalists and photographers of the local press at a P&P Day would probably be an error..

So, a website is a very important part of promoting and publicising a new Speedway track but it couldn't possibly standalone or be regarded as the most important thing.

As for the comment about the "program" (sic) - I assume Nikko doesn't mean that; that in fact he means the programme..?

Well, he's entitled to his opinion but I'd respectfully suggest that the Kent Kings programme can hold its head up high alongside the best in any of the sport's divisions. All new and original material every issue (no 'cut and paste' profiles common in the past and still prevalent in some clubs' meeting progs).

And in the context of NL programmes, funny you should use the term 'dinosaur', AJ, because if you look at third tier programmes they are divided into two distinct eras: pre-2002 and post 2002 and it was the Wimbledon Dons programme which I put together and wrote for from 2002 to '05 which marked that change; that upped the stakes in terms of how professional in look and in content a third tier prog should be. This has carried on with the Kent Kings programme - just one element (along with, yes of course, the website) that embelished such a successful first year.

Because, despite AJ's doom and gloom comments about what's "wrong" at Kent Speedway and Nikko's totally inaccurate comments on another thread about alarmingly low crowds, we had an amazing first season with great crowds and finished on a high with huge optimism for the future. And the main reason was that once people came through the gate they got a great product and they kept coming back for more and they brought family and friends - a combination of new fans and people returning to watch the sport in the county.

• Like 2

I've always thought that a good way of getting younger people in would be to showcase a band from a local university/college. Give their followers (or anyone with a student card) a discount on tickets and have a different band every week or so. This could build a good relationship with the local Uni/College and some of the music followers might actually get the speedway bug.

Would also dish out free tickets to local primary/secondary schools every couple of months and it might get a few regulars that way too.

Andy Povey always ran a good site for Reading, not sure if was paid for it though.

• Like 3

Hmm, reading has never been Nikko's strongest skill and seemingly not yours either.

I haven't said there's anything wrong with a good website (and I most certainly haven't criticised Kent's) - what I was saying was (1) it's an utter nonsense to even remotely suggest any Speedway club would pay someone £300 a week to run one; and (2) that Speedway needs good publicity and a good product and a website alone does not do that. As someone said, good local press attracts people who then may give it a go - far more people stumble on an article in their local paper than are likely to mysteriously 'surf' their way onto a website of a sport they've never heard of.

So, for example, failing to have any kind of reception or presentation for the journalists and photographers of the local press at a P&P Day would probably be an error..

So, a website is a very important part of promoting and publicising a new Speedway track but it couldn't possibly standalone or be regarded as the most important thing.

As for the comment about the "program" (sic) - I assume Nikko doesn't mean that; that in fact he means the programme..?

Well, he's entitled to his opinion but I'd respectfully suggest that the Kent Kings programme can hold its head up high alongside the best in any of the sport's divisions. All new and original material every issue (no 'cut and paste' profiles common in the past and still prevalent in some clubs' meeting progs).

And in the context of NL programmes, funny you should use the term 'dinosaur', AJ, because if you look at third tier programmes they are divided into two distinct eras: pre-2002 and post 2002 and it was the Wimbledon Dons programme which I put together and wrote for from 2002 to '05 which marked that change; that upped the stakes in terms of how professional in look and in content a third tier prog should be. This has carried on with the Kent Kings programme - just one element (along with, yes of course, the website) that embelished such a successful first year.

Because, despite AJ's doom and gloom comments about what's "wrong" at Kent Speedway and Nikko's totally inaccurate comments on another thread about alarmingly low crowds, we had an amazing first season with great crowds and finished on a high with huge optimism for the future. And the main reason was that once people came through the gate they got a great product and they kept coming back for more and they brought family and friends - a combination of new fans and people returning to watch the sport in the county.

I used the term Dinosaur to describe the return of certain people,not the Kent programme.And yes agree the Wimbledon programme was excellent.With the rumours on the Rye House site about the return of the `Raiders`perhaps we will see a change of personnel at the `Kings`?

I've always thought that a good way of getting younger people in would be to showcase a band from a local university/college. Give their followers (or anyone with a student card) a discount on tickets and have a different band every week or so. This could build a good relationship with the local Uni/College and some of the music followers might actually get the speedway bug.

A really top idea. I would love to see some tracks experiment this way - have long thought bands and Speedway would be a great mix!

• Like 1

worked in my old mans days in the 80's local team local riders with one aussie :)

And the 70's ;)

In all honesty, who really turns up for P&P day beyond the local press, and given how much they've cut back these days, they probably rely on someone from the promotion to do the write-up anyway. All the team information could be presented in an interactive way online, and it would potentially reach a much wider audience.

How are you with heat formats...? ;)

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

Have to add that the Wimbledon programme Parsloes produced was first class. Was always very very impressed by the level of detail.

It's a shame that so much conflict exists at Kent. I think there is an awful lot wrong with British speedway, yet if I could choose the best bits of Parsloes, Nikko and Len Silver I wouldn't hesitate to select them to a 'dream team' for a speedway club. They all offer a lot of strengths, and were the chemistry there and the ability to leverage off each others strengths it could be very successful. In fact I'd suggest that it did start that way at Kent, but the cracks were obviously there before it became public.

In fact I'd suggest that it did start that way at Kent, but the cracks were obviously there before it became public.

And that unfortunately is why speedway dooms itself...

In all honesty, who really turns up for P&P day beyond the local press, and given how much they've cut back these days, they probably rely on someone from the promotion to do the write-up anyway. All the team information could be presented in an interactive way online, and it would potentially reach a much wider audience.

How are you with heat formats...? ;)

At Newcastle the local BBC usually turn up (either Jeff Brown or, as last season, Dawn Thewlis) and I think TyneTees also were there last season Unless a big local sports story breaks and that happens GRTMedia supply their, as usual, excellent footage.

A few years back, Newcastle tried a 'donation only' type meeting (if I remember crrectly there was a minimum donation of a £1 or so, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong), with wheelie competitions, races, gating etc., and, by all accounts, the place was packed. The following week, when full admission applied, the crowd was back to near normal.

At Newcastle the local BBC usually turn up (either Jeff Brown or, as last season, Dawn Thewlis) and I think TyneTees also were there last season Unless a big local sports story breaks and that happens GRTMedia supply their, as usual, excellent footage.

A few years back, Newcastle tried a 'donation only' type meeting (if I remember crrectly there was a minimum donation of a £1 or so, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong), with wheelie competitions, races, gating etc., and, by all accounts, the place was packed. The following week, when full admission applied, the crowd was back to near normal.

As you know, Jeff Brown is a speedway supporter whose links date back to Sunderland so he knows George well and can usually be 'set up' like he did with Stuey Swales in about 2000, remember.

The special meeting. Was that one of the first meeting of 2008(80th Anniversary year), which was like an introduction to Speedway. Everyone brought friends as it was't a serious racing affair, but was meant to be actual physical advert for new punters. Really was a great concept. As you say, next week was back to the usuals, but I suppose you have to keep trying.