British Speedway Forum
dantodan

British Speedway Promoters Meeting

Sorry to hear about Peterborough :sad: , some clubs might save a few pence with the NL reserves in place but hardly going to bring the crowds flocking back.

An oppurtunity missed to make some ground breaking changes i think....

why have you got jake anderson in there?

He rode NL and is eligible to ride for Team GB if he so chooses. He attempted to ride NL this year (for IOW) but was then told he couldn't as he had participated in the Aussie champs this year.

I didnt think Heeps was British

Again, he's eligible to ride for Team GB if he wants... I don't want another Heeps debate but I think it's his grandparents that are British.

• Like 1

so have Leicester moved up to a cheaper league?

what was it.. heats of Ade Hoole and Mike Hampson v. Justin Elkins and some other no hoper.. and that was the old National League. Jeez.

Edited by volty

MY understanding is that the heats involving NL riders will be "protected" which presumably means they will only race against each other...

super smashing great. So its a true team sport then. BSPA hang your heads in shame!

• Like 1

Having read and tried to digest the statement from this year’s BSPA AGM I would like to make a few comments on the outcome.

T.V .COVERAGE

It looks like there will some form coverage next year, from what source no idea but it seems like the planning has gone ahead assuming that there will be none, in my opinion very sensible.

PETERBOROUGH

It is so very sad to see a club like the Panthers go to the wall, let’s hope that a new promotion can be found to operate in the Premier League, do not forget they were very successful and well supported club in the second tier on racing for many years.

LEICESTER

Fantastic back where they belong

TWO YOUNG BRITS AT RESERVE IN EACH E.L. TEAM

A bit controversial this one but I am reassured by the comments by Stuart Douglas on the Lakeside web site that it will not just be N.L. riders that are eligible also the change of race format that gives the reserves two races against each seems to work very well in Sweden.

32 POINTS LIMIT FOR THE TOP FIVE IN E.L.

I agree with Matt Ford that this is a bit low but it has to be worked with.

ELITE LEAGUE

36 league matches for each team + Play Offs should give most teams the continuity of weekly home meetings. I know that this will mean the loss of a few top riders to the E.L. but I think this is a price worth paying. We are not going to compete with the rich man’s play things of clubs like Torun ect. In Poland funded by wealth not generated by income of club (although I do criticize the riders who take that route over British Speedway, it must be a decision only they can make) So let’s not even try to.

PREMIER LEAGUE

More of the same, why change something that works very well

On the whole I think the decision make are good for sport in the UK

• Like 2

Just trying to work things out

Only NL riders at reserve, is this based on 2013 results ?

Adam Ellis isn't eligible to ride NL under 2014 rules, does this mean he can't be an EL reserve ?

The statement released earlier says that riders can ride in all 3 leagues.

Confused !

As always 'a big winter of change for the future of the sport' ends up as badly thought out minimal tweaks. Nothing changes, really its business as usual (except regretably PBoro), but with a de-valued EL product year on year. Yet we as paying EL customers bear the brunt of the problems by paying the same for less. Makes no sense to pay to see NL riders getting lapped as they wont just be racing in a couple of ring fenced races, they will have to do TS and RR rides also, in reality. There may be 20 NL riders at the start of the season, but if they are riding in all 3 leagues that could drop to less than 10 by mid season due to the increased risk of injury. What happens then, do we bring in lower quality NL riders that will get lapped twice!

And .. all the PL promotors moaning about buying an air fence, low crowds,etc are quite happy with the business model then as technically there are no real changes in the PL?

As a Lakeside fan, i will only cherry pick the better meetings as the season develops, unless entry fees drop more in line with PL tracks.

Just trying to work things out

Only NL riders at reserve, is this based on 2013 results ?

Adam Ellis isn't eligible to ride NL under 2014 rules, does this mean he can't be an EL reserve ?

The statement released earlier says that riders can ride in all 3 leagues.

Confused !

My take on is that it won't just be NL riders. It would be criminal if the likes of Ellis, Garrity and Kerr were not included.

If it's based on 2014 rules then Adam would be ineligable to ride in either the NL or as an EL reserve... Hardly helping young British talent ?

He rode NL and is eligible to ride for Team GB if he so chooses. He attempted to ride NL this year (for IOW) but was then told he couldn't as he had participated in the Aussie champs this year.

Again, he's eligible to ride for Team GB if he wants... I don't want another Heeps debate but I think it's his grandparents that are British.[/quote

Speaking to Chopper last week regarding Robert , if you ride in an Australian senior title you loose your English privelages for three years.

Junior

All in all I think the format isn't that bad.

Looks like the format is going back to 2 reserve heats. I think give it a month or 2 and some of these British lads will be on the pace. More meetings will help them no end and some will come good.

Essentially costs needed to be cut somewhere and its smart to do this by eliminating expensive low scoring and sometimes uncommitted foreign riders.

The 32 points for top 5 enables the few teams who have or can afford a top rider to keep them on board while equally allowing club to be deep with 7-5 point riders and be competitive.

I am concerned about double uppers combined with NL Brits - I am hearing 2 of the top 5 can double up so that may create up to 4 riders who could have a fixture clash when you race a Saturday away match at Leicester or Eastbourne.

The 20 NL riders I am hearing will go into a draft where each team get to pick in a designated order. If its based on what we do in USA then the clubwho finished last year get to pick the first rider, while Poole would get 10th pick. Not sure if order reverses for 11th.

The allocation of these 20 riders could be key in determining where the title may end up.

I am glad its a full set of fixtures. I hope Peterboro sorts itelf out and I am sure there is more to their situation than meets the eye.

Edited by SteveEvans
  • Like 4

The report in one local newspaper gives the impression that possibly NL riders from this or last year may be eligible for this EL reserve position. Will need to wait for more details from BSPA or list of eligible riders.

• Like 1

Essentially costs needed to be cut somewhere and its smart to do this by eliminating expensive low scoring and sometimes uncommitted foreign riders.

It they weren't scoring and the were uncommitted couldn't promoters just do this anyway?