British Speedway Forum
dantodan

British Speedway Promoters Meeting

Are these the good old days which are dead, buried and never going to be resurrected again.

You have to move on, and look forward as change is with us, despite the likes of Synikalle and his expensive marketing ideas. The sport itself has to change and go back to being viable, trying to bring on British riders in the process, and become more acceptable to a new younger audience.

Harping on about the old days, and applauding anybody who is having a gripe at anything speedway, doesn't make you a very dedicated follower of speedway in my book. If you are that disillusioned by it all, there are other alternatives.

Very true Dave - very true. :t:

Basically I can accept everything else - because I have to, if I wish to watch Speedway - apart from the 'Double Points'. As you know - that REALLY gets to me. There ARE other things I don't like - but - I have to live with/put up with them.

Most people around me seem agree with me over this - so - do the Promoters not listen to their Customers/Supporters at all?

• Like 1

Basically I can accept everything else - because I have to, if I wish to watch Speedway - apart from the 'Double Points'. As you know - that REALLY gets to me. There ARE other things I don't like - but - I have to live with/put up with them.

Most people around me seem agree with me over this - so - do the Promoters not listen to their Customers/Supporters at all?

It makes me so sad to see things like this.

• Like 1

You and the old guys you stand with are hardly representative of the average Brough attendee, and neither are you the target for the future, and we all fall into that category unfortunately.

It makes me so sad to see things like this.

And you and your marketing rants make me so sad as well. I remember last year when you were elevating yourself, ranting on about how you knew all the answers and 'for free' would offer your services to anyone. If you had been 'employed', what happens to the 'failures' you might have caused. What responsibility do you accept in telling an owner how to do his business, and for you to walk away when you get it wrong. Have you any history in saving a failing sport in the modern world, and bringing back viability and profitability. Your indoctrination has been tried many times by the BSPA, and petered out in no time. Nothing new , nothing substantial, except the cost and the bill at the end of it. And we are talking established Marketing Agencies here with some history to prejudge them on. Not someone who knows better than everyone else and then tries to discredit the sport that has not picked up his offer of a free lunch. Sad.

You asked in an earlier post if the previous BSPA marketing initiatives were fact or fabrication on my part. Definitely FACT, as I was a promoter at the time and attended all the meetings at Rugby representing Newcastle Speedway. So I have history, do you.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 3

You and the old guys you stand with are hardly representative of the average Brough attendee, and neither are you the target for the future, and we all fall into that category unfortunately.

My son thinks it is a stupid Rule too and - believe it or not - HE is younger than me. :shock::wink:

• Like 1

Tsunami I understand what you are saying but you are wrong. The "good days" are well within reach I promise you. My marketing ideas are not expensive, they can be done for as little as ZERO. If money were to be spent it need not be very much, a small monthly commitment from each club (clubs with higher attendances could commit more) could solve attendance issues within just a few seasons.

I invite any promoter who see's the sense in what I say to contact me (I know they are reading this now) and I will show you just how much can be done without spending a single penny. What have you got to lose?

Perhaps, rightly or wrongly, your age is counting against you in this? Many see 21 as an age where a person is at the beginning of their career and therefore lacking sufficient experience. In my line of work (IT/Sales) I've worked with many extremely capable and articulate people in their early twenties but, when it comes to dealing with decision makers they face an uphill battle from the start to overcome age-related prejudice. Your ideas may well have a lot of merit but I suspect that a typical Speedway promoter would listen as much as most of us do when a cold-calling sales person says "H.." (before the door is shut or the phone is put down)

• Like 1

My son thinks it is a stupid Rule too and - believe it or not - HE is younger than me. :shock::wink:

Never!!!!!, I think you are telling porkies Ian. :D:D

• Like 1

Well, I would kinda worry if he was older :shock::lol:

Haha!!! Nice one Dave. :t::rofl: :rofl:

I promise you I am not telling 'Porkies' though. :t:

It is about £8 a meeting for an Adult in Poland.

I may not know much about speedway but I do know about currency conversion. The Zloty is pretty worthless. A Zloty is worth 20p that makes it 40 PLZ to my calculations, at today's market. £8.00 to you and I versus 40 PLZ to the average Polish wage. That argument holds not weight.

promise me you didn't threaten to withhold his pocket money first?

• Like 1

And you and your marketing rants make me so sad as well. I remember last year when you were elevating yourself, ranting on about how you knew all the answers and 'for free' would offer your services to anyone. If you had been 'employed', what happens to the 'failures' you might have caused. What responsibility do you accept in telling an owner how to do his business, and for you to walk away when you get it wrong. Have you any history in saving a failing sport in the modern world, and bringing back viability and profitability. Your indoctrination has been tried many times by the BSPA, and petered out in no time. Nothing new , nothing substantial, except the cost and the bill at the end of it. And we are talking established Marketing Agencies here with some history to prejudge them on. Not someone who knows better than everyone else and then tries to discredit the sport that has not picked up his offer of a free lunch. Sad.

You asked in an earlier post if the previous BSPA marketing initiatives were fact or fabrication on my part. Definitely FACT, as I was a promoter at the time and attended all the meetings at Rugby representing Newcastle Speedway. So I have history, do you.

I have never failed a client. I have never walked away from a business without doing a great job. I take pride in my work and my track record speaks for itself.

You are utterly clueless, no surprise you are no longer a promoter and glad you aren't promoting my club.

The sport is doing a great job discrediting itself and certainly doesn't need my help on that front. If you are suggesting a few posts on a forum could damage that balance then you yourself are testifying to what an awful state it is in.

So tell me, what was this £80,000 spent on? What did this marketing agency do for you? I think you were ripped off mate. I've not seen one iota of speedway marketing in play online, so explain to me where this £80,000 went? Because it clearly went to the wrong places didn't it. Wouldn't be surprised if it was lining the pockets of GSI's good pals.

You are talking out of your backside. You are deluded in that you believe cutting costs and reducing the quality of the product will make it viable again. Wrong. The money that will be saved through cost cutting will be lost through the drop in attendance figures which you will see next season, and the season after that, and the season after that. This isn't rocket science, it's common sense ;)

• Like 1

One of the best posts on this thread, i went to every meeting at the Abbey last year and i can with regret say most weeks you were lucky to see three or four decent races a night.Dragged out meetings, R/R, guests, D/uppers missing ( lack of meetings in which people got used to not going and spending there money on other things.At the end of the season i believed speedway had a chance to forget about Sky and revamp the EL again they have again shirked the real issues.What amazes me is that with the sport in the sh.. the fans have again not had any input on any of the decisions being made a big mistake in my view.Synikalle i can understand his frustration, but i hope he reconsiders his intention of not going in England again as he will miss the sport as i would if i stopped going.Fingers crossed i hope the changes work out, i will always support the sport i believe it is in your blood and for alot of people it becomes a habit which you have for life.

While I don't doubt your marketing skills SYNIKALLE' the problems above need fixing before any attempt can be made to market the sport.In the past I would always talk the sport up to friends and colleagues,and some did attend with me.I'd be embarrassed to take anyone now,if I'm bored I'm pretty sure they would be. Edited by New Science

Perhaps, rightly or wrongly, your age is counting against you in this? Many see 21 as an age where a person is at the beginning of their career and therefore lacking sufficient experience. In my line of work (IT/Sales) I've worked with many extremely capable and articulate people in their early twenties but, when it comes to dealing with decision makers they face an uphill battle from the start to overcome age-related prejudice. Your ideas may well have a lot of merit but I suspect that a typical Speedway promoter would listen as much as most of us do when a cold-calling sales person says "H.." (before the door is shut or the phone is put down)

I understand what you are saying but in this case it is the younger generation that are most valuable to the sport. Based on what I have seen on my various speedway visits it would appear obvious that audiences are overwhelmingly of an older generation. I guess the blunt way to put it is who will take over when this generation is too old to attend?

Young people know what young people want. We know what appeals to them and we know how to pluck their strings.

Online marketing and social networking has become a core part of every succesful public facing company business plan because it is tried and tested. It may not be the world everyone lives in, but it is the world that the youth of today live in, and the youth of today are the paying customers of tomorrow.

Edited by Synikalle
  • Like 1

While I don't doubt your marketing skills SYNIKALLE' the problems above need fixing before any attempt can be made to market the sport.

I understand completely New Science. The point I am trying to make is a lot of these issues are caused by lack of finance. We will not find this extra finance through sponsors because they are not interested in a sport with so little publicity on offer. The only place we will find this extra finance is through higher attendances and they will only come with a modern and consistent marketing campaign. It does not have to be a lot, but at the moment it is non existant.

With the extra finance generated through increased attendances we can focus our efforts on better track surfaces so that riders can race with confidence and better international riders who are more experienced and can provide a higher standard of racing. When we have these things in place the marketing side of things will get easier and easier and the financial situation will continue to improve. Then we can really focus on getting behind the Brit's and spending more money on support, training schemes and funding equipment who will in turn become the preferred choice over other international riders, not because they are cheaper but because they are better.

I understand that some may be skeptical, but I cannot understand in any way how reducing the quality of the sport and failing to attract new audiences can ever help the sport grow? By reducing the quality further it becomes impossible to market.

Edited by Synikalle