British Speedway Forum
dantodan

British Speedway Promoters Meeting

Yes he did. But you'll have to read back through dozens of his nonsense posts. Might be tricky since he can't keep to the same ideas and keeps changing his tune

There you go....found it for you.

Now does any sane person think clubs should "hire a 9-5 website man at £300 per week" to "do nothing but update facebook, twitter, post pictures and videos online, interact with fans and hold competitions"?

You really don't have a clue about marketing do you? There is nothing wrong with his ideas and it is refreshing to see a young person having the balls to say what they think. Its always better to have plenty of ideas as there is certainly plenty of old experts who will pooh-pooh them.

If the average website person costs £300 per week to run a campaign of social and content marketing, targeting young people, they would only need to generate 20 new people at an average entry fee of £15 per week to cover the salary. To me that doesn't seem that impossible a number to hit; god help the sport if anyone thinks it is?

• Like 3

You really don't have a clue about marketing do you? There is nothing wrong with his ideas and it is refreshing to see a young person having the balls to say what they think. Its always better to have plenty of ideas as there is certainly plenty of old experts who will pooh-pooh them.

If the average website person costs £300 per week to run a campaign of social and content marketing, targeting young people, they would only need to generate 20 new people at an average entry fee of £15 per week to cover the salary. To me that doesn't seem that impossible a number to hit; god help the sport if anyone thinks it is?

Being ballsy is good, but come on seriously...apart from the financial side of things which has already been discussed by others far better placed then me...are we really expecting that constant updating of facebook, twitter, and running "competitions" could even possibly attract 20 new visitors a week ? Every week ?

I'd personally like to see an example of the young chaps' work to see if he can put the, ahem, "fizz" back into the sport...

But the FACT of the matter is, no Speedway club would ever contemplate even for a milisecond. forking out money like that for a 'webmaster'..! If a club paid £300 a SEASON for such a 'service' it would be unlikely; he's suggesting £300 a week!!

• Like 3

Being ballsy is good, but come on seriously...apart from the financial side of things which has already been discussed by others far better placed then me...are we really expecting that constant updating of facebook, twitter, and running "competitions" could even possibly attract 20 new visitors a week ? Every week ?

I'd personally like to see an example of the young chaps' work to see if he can put the, ahem, "fizz" back into the sport...

They only need to generate an additional 20 people who attend every week and the costs are covered. Anything above the 20 is extra revenue; facebook; twitter etc. haven't been floated for billions of dollars for a laugh; they are valuable companies because correct use of their services will generate additional revenues for companies who use them correctly. At least this chap is floating the right sort of ideas; whether his work is suitable or not is a separate question; you cannot criticize the idea unless it has been tested and proven a failure; I don't believe it has been tested and many other organisations make this approach work.

But the FACT of the matter is, no Speedway club would ever contemplate even for a milisecond. forking out money like that for a 'webmaster'..! If a club paid £300 a SEASON for such a 'service' it would be unlikely; he's suggesting £300 a week!!

You may be correct; the sport deserves what it gets then doesn't it?

• Like 3

And that is why the sport will continue on its steady decline.

• Like 3

I'm afraid so. :sad: :sad:

Off to bed now - I've agreed with BW TWICE. :shock: :shock: ;)

• Like 1

You may be correct; the sport deserves what it gets then doesn't it?

To be able to open the following season?

If a club started taking on staff at £15k a year, there'd be no club the following year.

• Like 1

No it really isn't...!! Paying that sort of money would be total and utter madness which is why they wouldn't contemplate doing it..!

• Like 1

They only need to generate an additional 20 people who attend every week and the costs are covered. Anything above the 20 is extra revenue; facebook; twitter etc. haven't been floated for billions of dollars for a laugh; they are valuable companies because correct use of their services will generate additional revenues for companies who use them correctly. At least this chap is floating the right sort of ideas; whether his work is suitable or not is a separate question; you cannot criticize the idea unless it has been tested and proven a failure; I don't believe it has been tested and many other organisations make this approach work.

Perhaps i havent seen all of his posts, but other than mentioning twitter and facebook, what "right sort of ideas" has he been floating ?

Getting the magical 20 extra people to not only be interested, but want to come back every week off the back constant tweets and videos of track action is a fair old task.

The type of people who could even be attracted by online viral marketing (not sure if thats the right term but hey ho) are the same kind of fickle souls who would no doubt wander away from the sport at the first rain off where they had a wasted trip through the turnstiles.

The sport has problems, and yep i guess what it's getting what it deserves to an extent..but it aint gonna pay £15k, end of.

If i was passionate young chap like Synikalle, i'd stick two fingers up to naysayers like me on here, and say screw it, i'll do it for free for a couple of months...and then when he's got his magical 20 extras through the gates on a regular basis, slap it all down on the desk of whichever lucky club he chooses to help and put a case forward for his £300 a week.

• Like 1

Apparently he has already offered to do it for free but nobody took him up on it. Perhaps if he worked on his own customer relations skills instead of telling them how stupid they were for not doing things his way they would be a little more keen.

I think he has some decent ideas but some unrealistic expectations of the results. As for his saying that anybody is getting personal he really needs to go back through this topic and see how many times he has called people fools and stupid. Perhaps this IT expert could work for a percentage of the gate increase compared to last year, if Synalikes got it right they would be on a decent screw.

• Like 4

Now does any sane person think clubs should "hire a 9-5 website man at £300 per week" to "do nothing but update facebook, twitter, post pictures and videos online, interact with fans and hold competitions"?

YES YES YES YES YES

But that must include an overall of this existing rubbish speedway websites. Speedway is so easy to market with some great action images an video montages, it could look exciting, but right now the websites are bland and let the sport down.

Social media is the way to go, but it is a full time job so £300 a week is a bargain for the right skilled individual, but it also needs one thing, it needs the top brass feeding down information all the time so that person can interact daily with the public.

Edited by TheReturn
  • Like 1

Arsenal FC have a really good, professional website. What percentage of the 60k folk who come to every home game go there because the Club has a really good, professional website..?

I think we can safely say exactly ZERO..!!

• Like 4

Arsenal FC have a really good, professional website. What percentage of the 60k folk who come to every home game go there because the Club has a really good, professional website..?I think we can safely say exactly ZERO..!!

Yes, but Arsenal are one of the biggest football clubs in the world and get immense media coverage as a result. Speedway is not in any way comparable and needs to generate its own publicity.

I accept the lack of resources in speedway for this sort of thing, but anyone who suggests that websites and social media don't generate awareness is living with their head in the sand. To give you an example, as a general rule I simply will no longer give my custom to businesses that have no online presence or don't communicate electronically.

• Like 4

Yes, but Arsenal are one of the biggest football clubs in the world and get immense media coverage as a result. Speedway is not in any way comparable and needs to generate its own publicity.

I agree but how on earth does having a brilliant website generate such publicity..?!

Unless you look at the website you'd know nothing about it - and if you've never heard of the track or even, dare I say it, the sport, why on earth would you look at the website?

We can argue the finer points 'til we're blue in the face and of course people will have their own opinions, but I don't think I've personally seen a more crazy suggestion ever on the BSF (and I'm astonished anyone can agree with it tbh!) that it would be cost effective for a Speedway club to pay £300 a week to someone to update a wesite, FB page and Twitter feed!

• Like 1

I agree but how on earth does having a brilliant website generate such publicity..?!

Unless you look at the website you'd know nothing about it - and if you've never heard of the track or even, dare I say it, the sport, why on earth would you look at the website?

We can argue the finer points 'til we're blue in the face and of course people will have their own opinions, but I don't think I've personally seen a more crazy suggestion ever on the BSF (and I'm astonished anyone can agree with it tbh!) that it would be cost effective for a Speedway club to pay £300 a week to someone to update a wesite, FB page and Twitter feed!

So you heard about a speedway team in your home town/city/village/hamlet. What the first thing you do to find out more? You can ask your mates, you can visit the local library, you can drive around for days until you find a hidden track or you can get googling and find out more information. These days, when people want to find out more they google. If you have no internet presence, if your internet presence doesn't give the right info and if your internet presence is 6 months out of date what will people do?

Also, the whole idea of social media is you take the marketing to them and make it easier5 for them to find you. So you search for "xxx speedway" and you find the official twitter. You send of a tweet asking where/when/cost/colour of the walls in the bogs and you get a response. Do some research on Tesco Mobile twitter and how well thats worked.

TBH, I think the basics of this could be done for very littkle to nothing, not £300 a week or even a year! Jsut a fgew hours of googling and reading up on twitter, vine, instagram, snapchat etc etc

Edited by SCB