British Speedway Forum
trophykid

Stoke Potters 2014

Will there be further decline? Will the Potters ever be in a position to return to the premier league? The low crowds and general apathy concern me. I sincerely hope for a vast improvement for 2014. Any comments!?

totally embarrassing. How clubs who fail so dismally to fulfill their basic requirements are allowed back in again year after year without the governing body taking some sort of action is baffling...In most other sports you'd have your license put on hold if you can't cough up money for a meaningful fine ...just shows how desperate things are... how many league matches were they supposed to run???! FFS

Edited by Mike.Butler
  • Like 1

Will there be further decline? Will the Potters ever be in a position to return to the premier league? The low crowds and general apathy concern me. I sincerely hope for a vast improvement for 2014. Any comments!?

I fear the worse for the Potters and think that a return to the Premier is a thought that will not be in the promoters minds for a long time. I hope though for those that want a nearby speedway fix that Stoke can keep going next year. The inability to fulfill their fixtures must be a concern to them for lost revenue (unless they were losing even more by running a meeting),but must be a bigger concern for those running the sport. That said; I'm one of the ones that have caused the low crowds as after one meeting this year I have not returned and to be honest i really have not missed it and until we get same standard racers going against each other I will not be returning, so more a reacting to speedway than Stoke. Various reasons for the drop, a non competitive side, weeks on end without a meeting; people need to build a habit of going every Saturday not once a month. There is a Premier football team along with a team in the north of the city doing ok; all this in an area that is well known for the worst wages in the UK, you only have so many beer vouchers and the other attactions are more attactive at present; although Stoke City has had a slight drop in attendances this year. It is tough for the speedway team at present. Not sure how it will all pan out.

I agree that the silence is deafening and hopefully we'll hear confirmation that Stoke will ride in 2014 soon. So here's my shot at 7 fairly cheap riders (I assume Worrall will be in demand):

1. Ben Reade 7.70

2. Lee Payne 4.90

3. Lee Smart 5.76

4. Benji Compton 6.37

5. James Sarjeant 7.38

6. 3.14

7. Luke Priest 4.75

Personally I'd like to see a rule brought in where both reserves have to start on a 3.00 average, so...

1. Paul Starke 9.93

2. Lee Payne 4.90

3. Luke Priest 4.75

4. Benji Compton 6.37

5. Ben Reade 7.70

6. 3.00

7. 3.00

Edited by Islander15
  • Like 1

My near neighbour the late Pete Jarman was a Stoke rider in the early 1960s and used enjoy riding there despite travelling from south London for his home meetings.

Is his name still remembered by present day Stoke supporters? Dingle Brown was another mate from that era who used to travel from the south of England for his home meetings, then taking place at the old Sun Street Stadium.

Edited by Guest

I agree that the silence is deafening and hopefully we'll hear confirmation that Stoke will ride in 2014 soon. So here's my shot at 7 fairly cheap riders (I assume Worrall will be in demand):

1. Ben Reade 7.70

2. Lee Payne 4.90

3. Lee Smart 5.76

4. Benji Compton 6.37

5. James Sarjeant 7.38

6. 3.14

7. Luke Priest 4.75

Personally I'd like to see a rule brought in where both reserves have to start on a 3.00 average, so...

1. Paul Starke 9.93

2. Lee Payne 4.90

3. Luke Priest 4.75

4. Benji Compton 6.37

5. Ben Reade 7.70

6. 3.00

7. 3.00

Stoke don't usually make any announcements until after the NL AGM - so we won't hear anything for a while.

Thanks for the replies guys. I just want some debate on Stoke Speedway. Anyone who cares, speak up.

My near neighbour the late Pete Jarman was a Stoke rider in the early 1960s and used enjoy riding there despite travelling from south London for his home meetings.

Is his name still remembered by present day Stoke supporters? Dingle Brown was another mate from that era who used travel from the south of England for his home meetings, then taking place at the old Sun Street Stadium.

As we are in ‘Memory Lane’ for Stoke and needing as requested to make a mention of the club, I first saw them as a 14-year-old on Saturday, April 19, 1947. It was at Eastbourne where they were beaten 49-29 in a challenge match.

Some of the Stoke riders that I know for certain who rode were George Fisher, Gil Blake, Ray Harris, Reg Gregory and Harry Saunders.

It is possible that Dave Anderson, Dickie Howard and Les Jenkins may also have been in the Stoke side for this match.

I hope Stoke continue, enjoy my trips from Brum on the odd saturday night, dont go to as many as I would like to.

Now that leicester have gone EL, my trips there will be just when the brummies are there and will get a few more meetings in at Stoke, they are both about the same distance for me.

Dunno, but he's certainly remembered by present day Dudley (Cradley) fans. Always had the greatest of respect for "Speedy Pete". As soon as the scratch race final had finished he was always back on track helping the youngsters out.

Dunno, but he's certainly remembered by present day Dudley (Cradley) fans. Always had the greatest of respect for "Speedy Pete". As soon as the scratch race final had finished he was always back on track helping the youngsters out.

Yes, Pete Jarman was a great guy. He's also well known in South London for his exploits as a cycle speedway rider - his club included Tooting Tigers, Blackheath Aces (where Colin Goody also rode) and Beckenham Monarchs.

Is his name still remembered by present day Stoke supporters? Dingle Brown was another mate from that era who used to travel from the south of England for his home meetings, then taking place at the old Sun Street Stadium.

I thought or am i mistaken this was a Stoke 2014 thread ?.

• Like 1