British Speedway Forum
trophykid

Stoke Potters 2014

Do you mean NEW speedway fans? I cannot see why non-speedway fans should be interested. I hope Stoke survive. I have had a soft spot for Stoke speedway teams since 1947.

No, I don't mean NEW speedway fans. No-one with any interest in speedway would go to Loomer rd. the reputation is so poor.

I have a soft spot for Stoke Speedway - Romney Marshes.

That does not mean though that I have any axe to grind with any rider whilst they were riding for Stoke.

Any news on the team front ?

Whether Stoke run in 2014 depends entirely on whether the promotion can attract non-speedway fans!

Over the past years, they have managed to alienate so many existing supporters (and not only their own) who are unlikely ever to return with the present promotion in place. Die hards who I never expected to jump ship now appear frequently spectating at Buxton and rarely, if ever show their faces at Loomer Rd.

It is a very sad state of affairs indeed.

Stoke fans are regarded by supporters from other clubs as rather sad eccentrics, subject to friendly mickey taking or worse, sympathy.

Incredibly, the promotion (as other promoters elsewhere have in the past) appear content to allow this slide in support to continue.

The fact that many absent supporters now actively hope that Loomer rd. closes to speedway is an indication of the cancer that has rotted this once proud and well supported club away from the inside.

Stoke once had the most competitive racing track, the most vociferous and partisan supporters and a neat and tidy stadium. Now look at it, you could weep.

Even finding a toilet is a huge acheivement.

Best quote I have seen for ages and hits it right on the head. The local paper does a reasonable job of promoting the speedway but I think I am the only one who has ever replied to the info on there and I only went one meeting last year.!! speaks volumes for the way the majority of speedway supporters are in the area......ex-supporters or watching elsewhere. I have no axe to grind against the current promotion,but the problem is, an awful lot do and for speedway to have a long term showing in the area, new promotion will need to be brought in because nobody wants to support this one. Sorry but true

Whether Stoke run in 2014 depends entirely on whether the promotion can attract non-speedway fans!

Over the past years, they have managed to alienate so many existing supporters (and not only their own) who are unlikely ever to return with the present promotion in place. Die hards who I never expected to jump ship now appear frequently spectating at Buxton and rarely, if ever show their faces at Loomer Rd.

It is a very sad state of affairs indeed.

Stoke fans are regarded by supporters from other clubs as rather sad eccentrics, subject to friendly mickey taking or worse, sympathy.

Incredibly, the promotion (as other promoters elsewhere have in the past) appear content to allow this slide in support to continue.

The fact that many absent supporters now actively hope that Loomer rd. closes to speedway is an indication of the cancer that has rotted this once proud and well supported club away from the inside.

Stoke once had the most competitive racing track, the most vociferous and partisan supporters and a neat and tidy stadium. Now look at it, you could weep.

Even finding a toilet is a huge acheivement.

It could be a great little club. I myself think the stadium is grea, maybe a little tired but a lick of paint could soon sort that out. Although access to any facilities is quite a treck form the backstraight now that the pit lane has been closed off. Why would the promoter not allow the supporters take pride in their club and help re energise it. What has happened in the past to create such a gulf between the promoter and the supporters?

Genuine question.

• Like 1

It could be a great little club. I myself think the stadium is grea, maybe a little tired but a lick of paint could soon sort that out. Although access to any facilities is quite a treck form the backstraight now that the pit lane has been closed off. Why would the promoter not allow the supporters take pride in their club and help re energise it. What has happened in the past to create such a gulf between the promoter and the supporters?

Genuine question.

If the promoter wants to build some bridges with the supporters just ask them to turn up with paint. Let them get on with it & see what happens. It could do with more toilets.

Stoke has the makings of a great place . Sadly at present it's far from it. Of the many tracks I attended last year stoke was the most poorly prepared. I was there 3 times and on all 3occasions the track was close to dangerous. Now I'm all for home track advantages but not at the expense of safety. A decent track man and a lick of paint and its there. I mean, where else are the riders given a bucket to collect scrap metal on the track walk? And that's after it's been supposedly prepared. Not to mention the deep trench on the inside of the kerb on the pits bend, I bet the first aiders have to learn to pole vault! This is in no way an assult on stoke speedway, just saying. Good luck to them.

• Like 1

Genuine question.

My opinion, for what it is worth, is that spectators became disillusioned when certain well liked riders were dropped some years ago (unjusitifiably some fans thought). Adding this to a poor run of results and a programme that often included Stoke riders no-one had ever previously heard of, some long standing supporters became tired of their team being beaten repeatedly and a lack of silverware and began to stay away. Dropping to NL speedway did not help, many supporters only wanted to watch PL (in fairness, this was to them, like giving Mackeson to whisky drinkers, it was a product that they might have consumed occasionally, but not the one of their choice). 2011 in the NL was promising, but the team succumbed to injuries preventing the success they absolutely deserved. This further aggravated supporters. Certain popular riders were again dropped and gates fell dramatically. Wages have always been below national averages in the Stoke area and the economic downturn kept even more supporters away. Rows and running battles began between supporters and sometimes the promotional team on web sites and several supporters (some of whom had indeed helped out at the club in various ways) began to loathe the promotion. Add to this several fixtures that did not occur, several delays due to various reasons (non appearance of paramedics, generator issues) and a callous attitude towards loyal supporters seems to have nailed the coffin lid down nicely. The track, once the hunting ground of bold marauders from visiting teams because it was so good and competetive, has sadly been allowed to deteriorate. The toilets are disgraceful. The stadium has an air of decay about it. Visiting fans have been subjected to inappropriate comments from Stoke staff who really should know better. I live near Stoke, but do not spectate there anymore preferring the friendly atmosphere and proximity to the action of Buxton. On visits to Mildenhall and Sheffield, one is greeted by members of the promotional team who are pleasant, ask how far you have come and thanking you for your visit. It isn't difficult to demonstrate hospitality to paying customers in a way that makes them wish to return, but this is sadly absent from Stoke speedway. Some speedway tracks are a home from home, somewhere you may wish to linger, meet friends, enjoy the company. Loomer road no longer has that appeal for me.

Edited by oldsparky
  • Like 2

My opinion, for what it is worth, is that spectators became disillusioned when certain well liked riders were dropped some years ago (unjusitifiably some fans thought). Adding this to a poor run of results and a programme that often included Stoke riders no-one had ever previously heard of, some long standing supporters became tired of their team being beaten repeatedly and a lack of silverware and began to stay away. Dropping to NL speedway did not help, many supporters only wanted to watch PL (in fairness, this was to them, like giving Mackeson to whisky drinkers, it was a product that they might have consumed occasionally, but not the one of their choice). 2011 in the NL was promising, but the team succumbed to injuries preventing the success they absolutely deserved. This further aggravated supporters. Certain popular riders were again dropped and gates fell dramatically. Wages have always been below national averages in the Stoke area and the economic downturn kept even more supporters away. Rows and running battles began between supporters and sometimes the promotional team on web sites and several supporters (some of whom had indeed helped out at the club in various ways) began to loathe the promotion. Add to this several fixtures that did not occur, several delays due to various reasons (non appearance of paramedics, generator issues) and a callous attitude towards loyal supporters seems to have nailed the coffin lid down nicely. The track, once the hunting ground of bold marauders from visiting teams because it was so good and competetive, has sadly been allowed to deteriorate. The toilets are disgraceful. The stadium has an air of decay about it. Visiting fans have been subjected to inappropriate comments from Stoke staff who really should know better. I live near Stoke, but do not spectate there anymore preferring the friendly atmosphere and proximity to the action of Buxton. On visits to Mildenhall and Sheffield, one is greeted by members of the promotional team who are pleasant, ask how far you have come and thanking you for your visit. It isn't difficult to demonstrate hospitality to paying customers in a way that makes them wish to return, but this is sadly absent from Stoke speedway. Some speedway tracks are a home from home, somewhere you may wish to linger, meet friends, enjoy the company. Loomer road no longer has that appeal for me.

Thanks for your reply. Lets hope it's taken on board

Sound. I have always enjoyed my visits to Loomer Road..So get some local supporters on board, spruce it up as best one can at cheap cost and then importantly get the track right. It's a central location and ideal for me when returning from footy up north on a Saturday during the spring/autumn.

I quite like Stoke, am I right in thinking they lease the stadium, always found the staff to be friendly, the bogs are what they bogs, really need sorting.

Qyite enjoy the racing its not the greatest, but it is NL level.

Just glad there running, be up there a lot next season as Leicester have gone EL.

I quite like Stoke, am I right in thinking they lease the stadium, always found the staff to be friendly, the bogs are what they bogs, really need sorting.

Qyite enjoy the racing its not the greatest, but it is NL level.

Just glad there running, be up there a lot next season as Leicester have gone EL.

If a you suggest the speedway club just lease for their meetings from a freeholder/owner then it is up to the latter to improve facilities. All Stoke are responsible - as are the other tenants Startrax - is the condition of the track and their own immediate-use facilities. Too many speedway promoters get the blame for stadium facilities when in fact it is not the direct responsibility. All the speedway people can do is request improvements from their landlord.

If a you suggest the speedway club just lease for their meetings from a freeholder/owner then it is up to the latter to improve facilities. All Stoke are responsible - as are the other tenants Startrax - is the condition of the track and their own immediate-use facilities. Too many speedway promoters get the blame for stadium facilities when in fact it is not the direct responsibility. All the speedway people can do is request improvements from their landlord.

I am fairly certain the promotion at Stoke lease the stadium 24/7 52 weeks of the year and are responsible for the condition of track and stadium in general ,they also I am lead to believe sublet to the stox.I think they can take full credit for the presentation of what was once one of the best tracks in the country now resembling a bomb site .

I am fairly certain the promotion at Stoke lease the stadium 24/7 52 weeks of the year and are responsible for the condition of track and stadium in general ,they also I am lead to believe sublet to the stox.I think they can take full credit for the presentation of what was once one of the best tracks in the country now resembling a bomb site .

That is my understanding too FG. My belief is that the buck stops with the promotion. Admittedly, it is difficult to re-invest and rejuvenate with the receipt from a small crowd, but is the small gate receipt directly attributable to the promotion?

You are quite right too; it was once one of the best tracks in the country at any level of the sport.

The promoters have had many opportunities to meet with the disaffected supporters and listen to their grievances, but choose not to, a very sad state of affairs indeed.

Edited by oldsparky