British Speedway Forum
trophykid

Stoke Potters 2014

I read this thread with mixed thoughts given that I have little or no time for the Tattums.

Firstly , Mrs Tattum is more often or not the first face you see arriving at Loomer road to take your money of you.

There has never in my time been a conversation to ask either how you are , a smile or enjoy the meeting .

She is a very sullen individual who makes no effort what so ever to engage with the customer base , ie the the few remaining fans , especially in the bar area , to the point she makes you feel you should be grateful she has served you at the bar .

Loomer road itself is very unkempt , dirty , outdated to the point I feel like I'm in the eighties when at the venue.

Despite all this I go to see competitive and exciting racing , with riders who give their all for the team.

Do we have a team who will do this ? Well competitive I mean given the weekly debacle of continual home defeats last season.

Time will tell , but there's always that feeling with those that still go home meetings that under the Tattums the fans won't return , anymore than PL speedway will.

I have no issues with Malcolm , but as team manager , he must do a lot better this season or do the honourable thing !

The lady who works the car-park side of the gate, often with her daughter, is Gaynor, an extremely nice lady who is always ready with a friendly smile. To be truthful, she is the only nice thing about entering that stadium.

• Like 2

No It doesn't . Absence makes the heart grow fonder . If you are going to use an Acroym , at least get it right !

Ooooo you got a pimple or something? My phone changed it.

• Like 1

It,s about time the club website was updated. No fixtures posted yet, even though they have been released elsewhere, last seasons riders listed, which was even out of date for last year, and photos on the home page from three years ago. All seams quiet from the commercial manager as well since last season; has she left or just no news cause there isn't any? How unprofessional can a club be run?

How unprofessional can a club be run?

As unprofessionally as Stoke. It isn't even the beacon of mediocrity is once was, it has sunk to the bottom. If Stoke Speedway was a race horse, a vet would have shot it, to put it out of our misery!

There's a lot of negativity on this thread and lots of it I haven't witnessed first hand so cannot comment. But one thing I am sure of is you'd rather have some speedway, even if it drives you crazy, than none at all!

• Like 1

There's a lot of negativity on this thread and lots of it I haven't witnessed first hand so cannot comment. But one thing I am sure of is you'd rather have some speedway, even if it drives you crazy, than none at all!

Whilst that is true to a degree that cannot be an excuse for promotors (not aimed at Stoke here, the sport in general) to hold fans to ransom by offering a poor product then saying "well it's better than us pulling the plug." To make your business successful you have to maintain a customer/fan base, not expect them to be there.

• Like 2

Whilst that is true to a degree that cannot be an excuse for promotors (not aimed at Stoke here, the sport in general) to hold fans to ransom by offering a poor product then saying "well it's better than us pulling the plug." To make your business successful you have to maintain a customer/fan base, not expect them to be there.

Yes I completely agree.

Read Vog's post, Matt.

Take it from me, there are few as passionate about Stoke Speedway as he is (or I should say was).

If he is giving up going, that means he has lost interest to the extent that if it does close he won't miss it that much.

• Like 1

As was said to me when I stopped going to Stoke after a 'word' from the promotion "missing the first meeting is the hardest, it gets easier after that". The next Saturday night, we were sitting having a drink at a canalside pub instead of standing on the terraces at Loomer Road and I haven't seen a meeting there since.

I could not agree more. After watching at Stoke mainly but at other tracks as well since 1978; I came to the conclusion last year that speedway wasn't offering what I want and saw just one meeting all year. Not missed it at all and plough all my spare cash it to going from Stoke to Reading to watch London Irish play Union and going to their away games ( mostly closer to me !!). I check on here regularly to see if things with speedway will change but no. For me, if we had seven equally ( as close as you can) level riders racing in teams against each other I would be back in a flash as there is no finer sight. Too many strung out races to justify my attendance and money. I wish that it long continues for those that follow it with a passion but for me "bad" speedway is not better than no speedway.

I could not agree more. After watching at Stoke mainly but at other tracks as well since 1978; I came to the conclusion last year that speedway wasn't offering what I want and saw just one meeting all year. Not missed it at all and plough all my spare cash it to going from Stoke to Reading to watch London Irish play Union and going to their away games ( mostly closer to me !!). I check on here regularly to see if things with speedway will change but no. For me, if we had seven equally ( as close as you can) level riders racing in teams against each other I would be back in a flash as there is no finer sight. Too many strung out races to justify my attendance and money. I wish that it long continues for those that follow it with a passion but for me "bad" speedway is not better than no speedway.

I for many years said any speedway was better than none but have for sometime now changed my mind ,it in fact damages the sport that is dying on it's feet .

• Like 3

I have been a speedway fan since 1969 and the product today is just so sub-standard that I agree with others, any speedway is not better than no speedway and Stoke proves the point.

• Like 1

Haven't enjoyed my last 2 trips to Loomer Road, because the track had very little shale on it, & was poorly prepared. Can live with the sticky carpet in the bar, & filthy toilets if the action on the track is good. If the current owners did walk away, I don't think there would be many people prepared to take over.

So sad to see how far stoke has been run down. The track used to be one of the best prepared in the late 80s. Get the product right and many punters will ignore the state of the stadium.

• Like 2

I for many years said any speedway was better than none but have for sometime now changed my mind ,it in fact damages the sport that is dying on it's feet .

I think that any speedway is better than no speedway.

But I don't believe that it ever needs to be a case of any speedway, and that is really the point.

• Like 1