British Speedway Forum
gaptooth

Heathens 2014

It looked like a really good turn out for season tickets at the Liberal Club last night. The terraces should be full again this season!

Looking forward to it.

It looked like a really good turn out for season tickets at the Liberal Club last night. The terraces should be full again this season!

Looking forward to it.

I am really pleased that the sales are going well. I am a little dissapointed that the fixtures were not realised before the early bird deadline ended. I will be paying on the gate as I cannot risk clashes with my hols. Why do Elite /Prem seem to know earlier?

Looking forward to the season

Maybe so teams can avoid as many fixture clashes as possible. Makes sense to bring nl fixtures out later. Near enough impossible this season thou to avoid clashes

Starkie has been named as skipper.

An excellent choice and I'm sure he will do a cracking job.

• Like 1

Not the nearest of tracks to us, but count us in for this year!

Well run club!

Whilst i may not always agree with what they do, i cannot fault them for how things are run in general, especially on race nights, the Olly Ommer Club for kids, and for out of season events, all in all a beacon to hold up to some of our so called Elite Clubs.

Edited by greyhoundp
  • Like 3

The Heathens have been invited to Monmore Green as guests of Wolverhampton at their press and practice night and should be on track after 7.30pm.

Looks like I'm the first with comment on P&P. Great to see the lads out there and the new race jacket gets my seal of approval.

Starke - Didn't seem to do too many full throttle laps so hopefully that's a sign he's happy and comfortable with his kit.

Greaves - I thought Nath looked very good last night. He did plenty of quick laps and didn't put a wheel wrong all evening. Hopefully the nunber 2 race jacket isn't going to faze him and if he can make some clean starts alongside Starke he just might surprise a few more highly rated riders.

Perry - Looked to be comfortably the fastest of the Heathens riders. That was encouraging to see. If he can click in to top gear early in the season then a difficult 2013 should soon become a dim and distant memory.

Clegg - Max didn't look as quick as I've seen him ride Monmore before. I wouldn't go so far as to say there should be any concern but he did look a tad sluggish (relatively speaking). It's going to be a really big season for Max so fingers crossed he can improve on his gating and get himself in the mix more on away tracks as well as home.

Worrall - He's another I'd say I've seen lap faster but he looked reasonably quick and certainly comfortable. If I'd note anything of concern regarding Steve it would be his practice starts. I don't think that was as sharp as it could be, nor should be if he's going to push on to become a 9/10 point man. Perhaps it's just the impression I got from watching one rider on his own though.

Williamson - Matt really impressed me. He looked a lot quicker and smoother than I expected. I thought it would take some time to settle in at Monmore but these very early signs are promising. It remains to be seen how it translates in to racing but it's going to be exciting watching him progress this season.

Phillips - I got more or less what I expected from Danny. He might take a few meetings to properly settle at Monmore but there was nothing negative to report. He had perfectly respectable pace and didn't make any significant errors.

All-in-all it seemed to be a very positive practice session for the lads with no major dramas. Thankfully there were no major blow-ups or obvious bike problems of any significance so that's a real plus too.

• Like 3

All-in-all it seemed to be a very positive practice session for the lads with no major dramas. Thankfully there were no major blow-ups or obvious bike problems of any significance so that's a real plus too.

21ST CH, Max Clegg put on his facebook that the p&p was good apart from his best engine blowing up after his second ride..expensive p&p.

Edited by bigred

I had the privilege of meeting Matt Williamson and his parents a few days back. Smashing lad who has already spent a lot of time practising this year at any track that can give him some time. He has also invested heavily in equipment. I think he will raise a few eyebrows this season and I can see him adding substantially to his starting average and climbing out of the reserve berths pretty quickly.

Dedication and hard work deserve their rewards and I hope he has a great season.

Welcome to the home of the Champions Matt!

A lot of people, myself included, are expecting Matt to improve a lot this season. Personally I thought it might be a steady start and continual improvement. But it looks and sounds as though he may hit the ground running. It will certainly bode well for our chances if he does, and with Nath looking good in practice it's time to sart getting excited about the season ahead.

www.ommerum.blogspot.com for my latest blog post which is the National League season preview!

Dont think were going to win it this year...

Some thoughts on the team this year.

Overall they look the best on paper but I don't think it's as clear cut as last year when they always looked the best by far.

Starke: One of my favourite riders but his average will inevitably drop. I think he should place importance on his EL/PL duties and we might see him on a figure around 8.00.

Greaves: I expect improvement but relative to the rest of the team, not as much. I think he may struggle to start with by riding in the main body but will still increase his average by less than a point. However the small improvement will be dwarfed by Williamson and/or Philips which will put him at reserve for the crucial end.

Perry:I don't think he'll rediscover his 9.88 points scoring but will show last season was a blip and move back up to 8.00 and probably pick up a PL spot.

Clegg: Not as dramatic improvement as last year but he should attain an average in excess of 7.00. I think the EL draft is a year too early for him, but added riding with Perry will improvement the partnership. However I'm concerned that neither are good gaters yet Leicester is a gaters track! But I think the most important thing for him is to get used to bigger tracks.

Worrall: He will be #1 and will be close to a 10.00 average. Similar to Blackbird last year. One of the best riders in the league on a track he loves.

Williamson: May double his average. Riding for PL Scunthorpe will help he just needs more consistency than last year.

Phillips: Again may double his average. I'm not sure whether he or Williamson will replace Greaves.

My main concern is Starke, Worrall, Clegg and Perry are all riding EL and Starke, Worrall & Williamson riding PL, with probably the best 3.00 man not riding PL currently is Perry. So that's 2 triple-uppers and 3 double-uppers. How many meetings will they miss??