British Speedway Forum
kingbee

Sky Sports New Deal

pathetically loud music being bashed out by massive speakers is as much of a turnoff as is deathly silence. Standing around in the freezing cold with ten minutes between races,poor medical cover for the riders which can mean severely delayed meetings, endless unsatisfactory starts resulting in all the riders returning to the pits for a spoonful of fuel and clutch cooling are all more of a turnoff for me. Silly things like a proper rider parade with riders on their bikes, rider interviews, dare i say better prepared tracks leading to better racing would make me think my sixteen quid is well spent. Completely irrelevant to me is the standard of the riders, i tend to enjoy lots of my NL meetings and most of mt PL meetings sadly i can't say the same about the EL. Lastly get rid of the rip off programmes £3 is unrealastic, i want a record of the meeting but a scorecard will do thus cutting down the drivel written and saving me over a hundred quid a season.

Perhaps if you are paying £17 to get in - a FREE Programme and Car Park would help defray Expenses.

Every little helps.................................................. :t:

I agree basic speedway is a £10 sport unfortunately because the people running speedway have allowed the costs to rise with more expensive equipment being required to make a rider competitive they have to charge more to the public. It could be a £17 sport if the presentation was right, standing in silence with no atmosphere, poor sound system, 60,s music and presenters who sound like station announcers is what brings it down.

I would prefer 60's music at Ippo to the inane drivel they usually pump out when I go there.

Even 50's, 70's, 80's or 90's would be a big improvement!! :cry:

• Like 1

If average admission prices were £10 in the UK, then there would still be the discontented on BSF saying that it was only worth £5 and that admissions should have to be reduced further.

If it's any consolation, between a third and half of the speedway going public DO only pay £10, because they are old enough to get concessionary admission. If all admissions were set at £10, should it be a flat-rate £10, applicable to all, or should the take on the gate be reduced even further by even cheaper concessionary rates?

I would prefer 60's music at Ippo to the inane drivel they usually pump out when I go there.

Even 50's, 70's, 80's or 90's would be a big improvement!! :cry:

Maybe you should write a book on how to attract a younger and a more sustainable crowd to speedway meetings?

Edited by The Pedaler

Somebody has posted about paying £300 to watch a boxing match where the champion knocks-out his opponent in an early round. That is a risk people will take, I'm afraid, when watching boxing... and the figures it attracts at ringside and often live on TV supports this.

On the other hand, speedway's value-for-money discussion at £17... well, I would argue that promoters aren't exactly placing "House Full" signs up to avoid the rush on racenight You could charge a pound ahead to have someone watch speedway, but the exercise would be all about the demand. Would people still pick and choose matches, having something else to do? It is all about attraction...

Maybe so-called promoters could fine-tune admission prices... charge a few quid extra for decent opposition and a few quid less for the least attractive. Or maybe knock off a few quid some weeks, advertise the fact it's cheaper, and see what happens. It would equal a loss of one paying punter for each eight that attended, but that punter may decide to attend a match he didn't quite fancy at full price or may attract a few extra, thinkiing they are getting a bargain.

Birmingham tried reducing the price for quite a few meetings last year and invariably found themselves not having the cash to pay the riders or team manager.
  • Like 2

Lets not forget that for every £17, only £13.60 goes to the Speedway promoter, to cover the costs!!

Similarly if it was £10, only £8 for speedway!!

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 2

Birmingham tried reducing the price for quite a few meetings last year and invariably found themselves not having the cash to pay the riders or team manager.

They hadn't the cash before they had those cut price meetings..

Lets not forget that for every £17, only £13.60 goes to the Speedway promoter, to cover the costs!!

Unless every 1000 people only look like 800 on the books!! shocked face!
  • Like 2

TBF, the cost doesnt matter to the customer. You don't sell something at what it costs to make, you sell it and what someone thinks it's worth.

For someone like me, the £15-17 to get in is pretty irrelevant. For me it's the 100+ miles worth of fuel and the £6.40 for the Severn Bridge for some tracks. Thats where it starts to add up. It's nearer £50 for me to go to Somerset.

Where your argument falls down Colin is that Speedway Markets itself as a FAMILY Sport. I am lucky these days - I am a Pensioner and can take advantage of Concessions. However were I a younger man with a Family to take to the Speedway - I would have to think very hard whether to take them. There is not the money out there these days as there was in the past. People in some cases have to make up their minds whether to 'Heat' or 'Eat'. Food Banks proliferate. In that kind of climate you have to make Speedway AFFORDABLE. I, as I have said, am lucky, I can afford my Speedway. I am only too aware that there are those who cannot.

If Osborne finds out about speedway he'll put a Tax on it. :drink:

• Like 1

that doesnt mean its wrong - just that the riders are being paid too much

I think thye deserve every penny they get but its a market place and currently money is going on gas bills and train fares

make the equipment cheaper - i dont care or know how but its got to be possible - then price drops are possible

it requires creative thinking and the courage to carry it through so it wouldn't ever happen

• Like 1

Actually £14.17 goes to the promoter . The rest goes to the chancellor in VAT

If it was £10, it would be just £8.33 to the promoter

• Like 2

If Osborne finds out about speedway he'll put a Tax on it. :drink:

Only to find that New Liebour beat him to it.

• Like 1

I think Speedway is more a family sport more than most others, 20 quid for me and my daughter to attend Brandon this season I find that very reasonable.