British Speedway Forum
kingbee

Sky Sports New Deal

So to sum up ... have we got a new sky sports deal???

Take it as a Yes.

It's not the £15 or £16 that is the problem, it's having to pay £4 or £5 for kids, when they would much rather have the money for something else given the choice.

Actually £14.17 goes to the promoter . The rest goes to the chancellor in VAT

If it was £10, it would be just £8.33 to the promoter

Absolutely, VAT is 20% of the NETT not 20% of the gross

it does if they all returned to watch the sport . We wouldnt need to worrying about the future of speedway would we .from my own point of view speedway is too expensive to watch. But you can pay the £17 and i will give it a miss like the others who are in the wrong . I really hope you are right but i just dont see it. I said this before, making it a £10 sport will do nothing to get stay away fans to attend unless you address the issues within the sport and make the sport attractive to people ,then when they are tempted the £10 swings the balance in speedways favour .

There is no wrongs and rights of it. Whether we like it or not speedway is an expensive sport and I can't see many ways of reducing the costs significantly, unfortunately. Therefore, it's no good calling it a £10 sport when the expenses far exceed that cost. Yes, economies of scale regarding attendances would make a big difference but I don't believe they are there to win back easily, as you have alluded to.

• Like 2

There is no wrongs and rights of it. Whether we like it or not speedway is an expensive sport and I can't see many ways of reducing the costs significantly, unfortunately. Therefore, it's no good calling it a £10 sport when the expenses far exceed that cost. Yes, economies of scale regarding attendances would make a big difference but I don't believe they are there to win back easily, as you have alluded to.

of course rhey are not easily won back but whats the alternative ,stay are we are? With crowds getting less every year. The future of speedway depends on getting more fans old or new and charging £17 is doing the opposite
  • Like 1

of course rhey are not easily won back but whats the alternative ,stay are we are? With crowds getting less every year. The future of speedway depends on getting more fans old or new and charging £17 is doing the opposite

£17 is fine.

I don't buy into this 15 races, = 15 minutes of action which is often trotted out. It's a good 90-120 minutes evening out, a package, where people can watch the racing, have a drink and meet friends, and compared to other sports, £17 is a steal.

90 minutes of football = more than £17 at most Championship clubs these days, let alone Premiership.

How much for a 20/20 cricket?

How much for an evening at the darts?

£17 is a good price for an evening out. However, I would add to that it would be nice for promoters to promote a little, and ensure the evening involves other entertainment in-between racing. Don't ask me what, but there must be things promoters can explore and look at to ensure that between races there is other entertainment.

I would also like to see clubs ensure family tickets are available and affordable, i.e £40 for family of two adults and three kids.

Edited by TheReturn
  • Like 6

If Osborne finds out about speedway he'll put a Tax on it. :drink:

....not sure he is that stupid cost more to collect not worth it..............mind you when did that stop a Chancellor.

• Like 3

TBF, the cost doesnt matter to the customer. You don't sell something at what it costs to make, you sell it and what someone thinks it's worth.

For someone like me, the £15-17 to get in is pretty irrelevant. For me it's the 100+ miles worth of fuel and the £6.40 for the Severn Bridge for some tracks. Thats where it starts to add up. It's nearer £50 for me to go to Somerset.

You could always move !
  • Like 3

GETTING back to the original theme ... think there will be an official announcement next week. First meeting likely to be April 7.

• Like 2

Have you tried going into the pits before a meeting and telling one or two of them that?

yeah - you have failed to read the whole post in an attemp to make a cheap comment. They deserve every penny and more but it should be going in their back pockets not on machinery which 90 pc of fans neither know nor care about. Keep pedalling

£17 is fine.

I don't buy into this 15 races, = 15 minutes of action which is often trotted out. It's a good 90-120 minutes evening out, a package, where people can watch the racing, have a drink and meet friends, and compared to other sports, £17 is a steal.

90 minutes of football = more than £17 at most Championship clubs these days, let alone Premiership.

How much for a 20/20 cricket?

How much for an evening at the darts?

£17 is a good price for an evening out. However, I would add to that it would be nice for promoters to promote a little, and ensure the evening involves other entertainment in-between racing. Don't ask me what, but there must be things promoters can explore and look at to ensure that between races there is other entertainment.

I would also like to see clubs ensure family tickets are available and affordable, i.e £40 for family of two adults and three kids.

you allude to football, cricket, darts, etc which is fair enough but they attract good crowds - speedway doesn't threrfore a price reduction is one way of regenerating the sport - however it needs changes in the cost of machinery and other things to accomodate this.

You say 17pds is a good price however not enough people agree with you sufficiently to actually shell it out

GETTING back to the original theme ... think there will be an official announcement next week. First meeting likely to be April 7.

Do we know whether this will be a Sky announcement or a BSPA announcement?

Will it be just about the Sky TV deal, or will it be an announcement of the full package including new League sponsor?

• Like 1

Do we know whether this will be a Sky announcement or a BSPA announcement?

Will it be just about the Sky TV deal, or will it be an announcement of the full package including new League sponsor?

You see, now you have at least 2 people to ask - Matt Ford or Philip Rising?! :D:rofl:

Still nothing on the Sky speedway forum. They have appologised for the way they have replied to some earlier post. But are still keeping tight lipped and all they will state is that negotiations are still going on at the moment.

So it is still wait and see. Lets hope they can tell everyone what is happening before the season starts.

Still nothing on the Sky speedway forum. They have appologised for the way they have replied to some earlier post. But are still keeping tight lipped and all they will state is that negotiations are still going on at the moment.

So it is still wait and see. Lets hope they can tell everyone what is happening before the season starts.

NEXT week ...

• Like 1

Interesting to note that on the Sky Sports speedway site after a fortnight of no updates they have now started posting new news stories.