British Speedway Forum
kingbee

Sky Sports New Deal

I heard a whisper last night that some clubs are calling for a bigger share of the spoils because they consider they are a more attractive proposition than others and feel they should be compensated for appearing on television more!!

which is where an independent management group is needed to keep these idiots unified for their own good

its a league - it needs all of its members to be healthy

That was the 16th January and now it's the 24th...which "next" week will it be? Are you just stringing everyone along for a laugh? Is that what the BSPA have told you to do?

do you actually want this to fail?

it seems like you can't wait

is you being right more important than the health of the sport?

How can Clubs offer deals to Riders if they do not know about a TV deal? You cannot offer a Rider terms on a possible deal as it could seriously jeopardise your business should it not be forthcoming and on the other hand a Rider could be seriously undervaluing himself if he signs and then a TV deal is struck.

How can Clubs offer deals to Riders if they do not know about a TV deal? You cannot offer a Rider terms on a possible deal as it could seriously jeopardise your business should it not be forthcoming and on the other hand a Rider could be seriously undervaluing himself if he signs and then a TV deal is struck.

That is precisely what the clubs should have been doing and the fact they haven't is the reason why they are in such a mess.

The deals offered should be what is affordable BEFORE a tv deal. Any revenue gained from a tv deal should then be used for bringing on British riders and enhancing the sport etc.

• Like 1

they say speedway is just a summer sport in this country, well they are wrong. With this item about is it, isn’t it on tv etc etc at least the BSPA and Sky or however is going to do the deal has got people talking about the speedway. With 12 weeks to go there is still time to get something sorted for the people that want to watch speedway on TV.

That is precisely what the clubs should have been doing and the fact they haven't is the reason why they are in such a mess.

The deals offered should be what is affordable BEFORE a tv deal. Any revenue gained from a tv deal should then be used for bringing on British riders and enhancing the sport etc.

Once upon a time there were.................................................................................... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Fat chance BW - enhancing Pockets - possibly. :rolleyes::sad:

Any revenue gained from a tv deal should then be used for bringing on British riders and enhancing the sport etc.

Thank you for adding a degree of levity to the thread which many feel to be boring.

It is always amusing to be reminded of what SHOULD happen.

And then to contrast it with what ACTUALLY happens.

I thought that Sky were getting it for free therefore there isn't going to be any revenue to share out anyway!

I thought that Sky were getting it for free therefore there isn't going to be any revenue to share out anyway!

You pays your money (or not) and takes your choice with all the rumours flying around. :unsure: :unsure: :blink:

do you actually want this to fail?

it seems like you can't wait

is you being right more important than the health of the sport?

Do I want LIVE Monday night speedway to happen? NO! Sky won't be paying anything for it so clubs will lose revenue through diminished attendances, not to mention people's regular race night getting buggered about.

Would I like a once a week hourly summary show, kind of a "match(es) of the week" kind of thing, then yes. I think that would be far more beneficial for the sport and be in the best interests of its long term health.

Live TV and Live Radio won't do anything other than pander to the stay-at-home armchair fans who want everything for free. Clubs need fans to pay at the turnstiles, to be in the stadiums, and sponsors need to have them in the stadiums too to be exposed to their brands and products, and so a move away from live TV (where sponsors logos etc only get a bit part airing) will be a good thing.

• Like 2

Do I want LIVE Monday night speedway to happen? NO! Sky won't be paying anything for it so clubs will lose revenue through diminished attendances, not to mention people's regular race night getting buggered about.

Would I like a once a week hourly summary show, kind of a "match(es) of the week" kind of thing, then yes. I think that would be far more beneficial for the sport and be in the best interests of its long term health.

Live TV and Live Radio won't do anything other than pander to the stay-at-home armchair fans who want everything for free. Clubs need fans to pay at the turnstiles, to be in the stadiums, and sponsors need to have them in the stadiums too to be exposed to their brands and products, and so a move away from live TV (where sponsors logos etc only get a bit part airing) will be a good thing.

Yep,

All the worlds biggest, most successful sports aren't shown live on tv or radio.

He might be onto something.... oh wait...

• Like 6

Once upon a time there were.................................................................................... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Fat chance BW - enhancing Pockets - possibly. :rolleyes::sad:

Who's pockets ?

Do I want LIVE Monday night speedway to happen? NO!

What a forward thinking attitude.

I suggest we go back to black and white televisions because the crowds were huge for Speedway back then.

• Like 2

All the worlds biggest, most successful sports aren't shown live on tv or radio.

Here's the news! Speedway ISN'T a successful sport in the UK, and it isn't big either. Team GB is crap and all the clubs are losing money, big style. Before it wants to join the ranks of the big and the successful, the sport first has to survive, and then grow and succeed. Pretending to be a serious sport in this country hasn't done speedway any good at all in the last however many years since Sky were involved.

I'm sure that you'd love to carry on watching live speedway on television and you won't care a jot if the loss of revenue caused in the name of providing you with your entertainment causes clubs to go under. What would you care? You'll just start watching Swedish or Polish speedway on television instead.

I heard a whisper last night that some clubs are calling for a bigger share of the spoils because they consider they are a more attractive proposition than others and feel they should be compensated for appearing on television more!!

That wouldn't surprise me at all and i probably wouldn't be surprised who those clubs might be if we ever found out.