British Speedway Forum
kingbee

Sky Sports New Deal

if sky are not paying for the rights i would far rather it go to eurosport as it would be available to a larger audiance and i think there gp production from 2013 was far better than skys in previous years

Isn't the problem with that the fact that Eurosport do not film/produce the footage they show? AFAIK it costs Sky £tens of thousands for each match they show. If Eurosport took the league contract too, who would film it and how would it be funded?
  • Like 2

if sky are not paying for the rights i would far rather it go to eurosport as it would be available to a larger audiance and i think there gp production from 2013 was far better than skys in previous years

:lol::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

If it's reduced terms then hopefully promoters get more of a say in how the meeting is run and not over run by the Sky crew

If it's reduced terms then hopefully promoters get more of a say in how the meeting is run and not over run by the Sky crew

They may get less say then.

So Ford HAS jumped the gun. At first i thought it was all innocent and `out there` if a post had been put up on twitter. However if SKY haven't announced it then it hasn't happened yet, simple as.

For the BSPA to rush out a press release is obviously as a direct response to the social media leak.

2 positives however appear to have come from this -

1) SKY seem keen to stay on board and will hopefully continue their excellent coverage of our wonderful sport.

2) The BSPA seem to be more `media friendly` with yesterdays `live` bulletins and todays prompt press release.

Long may both continue.

It costs between 28-40k a week to produce elite league coverage on Sky sports depending on location and whether the track is connected to the BT broadcast fibre network. If not and the broadcast requires satellite uplink the costs rise significantly.

The amount that is dedicated to production for Speedway will rise again next season

• Like 2

It costs between 28-40k a week to produce elite league coverage on Sky sports depending on location and whether the track is connected to the BT broadcast fibre network. If not and the broadcast requires satellite uplink the costs rise significantly.

The amount that is dedicated to production for Speedway will rise again next season

I think that any "non mainstream" sport that gets air time from Sky that actually involves them paying for the privelage or even doing it for nothing is getting a better deal than most.

My own experience is that they are quite willing to broadcast if you employ a production company to do all the work for them. The cost of this recording and associated editing varies vastly,

But I would suggest that flagrag has his costs about right for a live broadcast.

But I would suggest that flagrag has his costs about right for a live broadcast.

I would hope so!! ;)

So what if matt or someone else leaked it. Sky are getting to film the speedway and show it live for nothing, They've struck a good deal for themselve, so tough if they've missed the tapes with anouncing it.

If we wait for the BSPA to find a sponsor it will be 2015 so Matt has got the ball rolling. I'm sure if it was his show he would have a sponsor lined up already.

Nurse....... NURSE!!!!!

• Like 1

This has not been confirmed by sky as yet but the leak came from Matt Ford who informed the Bournemouth Echo.

Possibly a case of young Master Ford spitting his dummy out after somebody stole one of his toys?

Not sure if I have missed this, but I can't see anywhere on either the Poole web site, Echo or Echo twitter accounts where it says Matt Ford has said this?? . The only reference I have found is what has been posted by another forum member. Is their a link to where Matt has stated this?

Not sure if I have missed this, but I can't see anywhere on either the Poole web site, Echo or Echo twitter accounts where it says Matt Ford has said this?? . The only reference I have found is what has been posted by another forum member. Is their a link to where Matt has stated this?

Agreed! Going back to the start of this thread, there were at least 2 other posts with the same info! Do they actually follow the Echo sports reporter's tweets? Its not as if he's even the regular speedway reporter!!

Also, whether MF did say anything to this reporter (MF is not on Twitter),where and from whom would he have got the info if the 'deal is still being negotiated'?!

However it has been spent in the past (and let's not go into that!) any money Sky have put into the sport/promotions has been very welcome. However, I still wonder whether regular televising of league speedway achieves anything that benefits the sport, as many of the televised meetings (for whatever reason) can become long drawn-out affairs which do nothing to attract non-followers to our wonderful sport. In addition, I also wonder how many speedway fans who are also Sky subscribers (not just for speedway, but for PL football and rugby, etc) choose to opt out of attending meetings in favour of their weekly TV fill. If these two points have any truth in them (and it has always been my own opinion that they do) then a deal with Sky (or another broadcaster) only to televise but not to sponsor/fund the sport can only have a detrimental effect. The sport cannot afford to lose its long-term followers who may, for whatever reason, decide to stay in their armchairs for their speedway, and it cannot afford to deter any new followers by televising unattractive meetings - bear also in mind that the atmosphere, the smell, the comradeship of real life speedway does not, and cannot, come across on the TV screen. If we had the situation as in the past where we could stage big meetings like a GB v USA test series, televising such events could attract a new audience to our tracks, particularly as all the riders (the Collins, Penhall, Carter, Moran type stars) could be seen in our league programme, but sadly those days are gone. I don't feel that we have a decent enough product to put in front of a TV audience and attract new punters, but I do feel that those who get out of the habit of attending because they can watch some speedway on TV will not come back. I love our sport, ever since my first meeting in 1964, and I've travelled all over attending meetings, and in the "good old days" there was a great attraction to have the odd meeting covered on TV - I now think that there's too much of it to be just an advertisement to entice new followers.

Sorry for rambling on but there you go!

The sport cannot afford to lose its long-term followers who may, for whatever reason, decide to stay in their armchairs for their speedway

Personally it's the 300 mile round trip to the nearest tracks to here.

Niamh

However it has been spent in the past (and let's not go into that!) any money Sky have put into the sport/promotions has been very welcome. However, I still wonder whether regular televising of league speedway achieves anything that benefits the sport, as many of the televised meetings (for whatever reason) can become long drawn-out affairs which do nothing to attract non-followers to our wonderful sport. In addition, I also wonder how many speedway fans who are also Sky subscribers (not just for speedway, but for PL football and rugby, etc) choose to opt out of attending meetings in favour of their weekly TV fill. If these two points have any truth in them (and it has always been my own opinion that they do) then a deal with Sky (or another broadcaster) only to televise but not to sponsor/fund the sport can only have a detrimental effect. The sport cannot afford to lose its long-term followers who may, for whatever reason, decide to stay in their armchairs for their speedway, and it cannot afford to deter any new followers by televising unattractive meetings - bear also in mind that the atmosphere, the smell, the comradeship of real life speedway does not, and cannot, come across on the TV screen. If we had the situation as in the past where we could stage big meetings like a GB v USA test series, televising such events could attract a new audience to our tracks, particularly as all the riders (the Collins, Penhall, Carter, Moran type stars) could be seen in our league programme, but sadly those days are gone. I don't feel that we have a decent enough product to put in front of a TV audience and attract new punters, but I do feel that those who get out of the habit of attending because they can watch some speedway on TV will not come back. I love our sport, ever since my first meeting in 1964, and I've travelled all over attending meetings, and in the "good old days" there was a great attraction to have the odd meeting covered on TV - I now think that there's too much of it to be just an advertisement to entice new followers.

Sorry for rambling on but there you go!

As a fan I can't disagree with this view - in fact while the sport is in the state it supposedly is, I would prefer a recorded highlights show - maybe fortnightly - rather than a lot of mediocre live meetings.

However, from a commercial point of view - and certainly to benefit any new League Sponsor - regular weekly meetings are an attractive package (or should be!) :wink: