British Speedway Forum
Gavan

Early Predictions

In no particular order my top four to-date but could change once we find out the last places for a couple of teams?

Kings Lynn. Coventry. Poole and finally, Swindon. At the moment, Swindon are a bit of a doubt - however, I can't see Rosco accepting mediocrity and that's why I have included them.

I seem to recall Matt Ford saying at the start of last season, that he wasn't necessarily aiming to win the league but win the play-off's and that seemed to be the plan. The good thing is that it appears to be more open this season and I hope that means good speedway throughout the season for us to watch?

It's the team who have built up a head of steam and momentum towards the end of the season that often goes on to take the title and that will be in the mind of each clubs managers and promoters.Therefore, I fully expect changes in riders throughout the season and not just at Poole!?

So now we are in to 2014, I personally, am looking forward to the start and hopefully for the club and supporters, another good season for the Poole boys.

Good luck to ALL the teams and as always, may the best team win.

I see no reason to change my earlier predictions so as always, good luck to ALL teams and wishing the riders a safe season.

Can't see Swindon making the play offs unless Simon, Nicolai & Steve Worrall have outstanding seasons.

• Like 1

New race format is out and it does throw a few thoughts into who is going to do well in 2014 but much will depnd on afew things.

RIDING ORDER; To me the #5 race jacket looks the hardest position and any team that has an out and out top mn really needs this rider to be at #5 as ALL his rides are alongside another heat leader (1 and 3) and against heat leaders all the time. Some may think that putting the weakest of the teams three heat leaders at #5 is best but looking at the format, even a rider like Scott Nicholls or Rory Schlein are going to have tough nights at #5 with a hard fought 4 points (1 1 1 1) so in my opinion if you have a Woffinden or Ward then they need to be at #5 in order for the other heat leaders to have a more comfortable night.

Appreciate what you say about the riding order, and the importance of their positions, depending where and who you are against, But I don't see why the No 5 is the harder position then the rest.

Like you say the No 5 is riding with another Heat-leader (HL) in every race, and that must be helpful to him, and the opposition is quite consistent whatever order you race, in that, in 2 races he faces 2 HL's and the other two he races HL and 2nd Strg. as do positions 1 and 3. Bearing in mind, in team positions 1 and 3, you race half your races with a 2 Strg I would have thought these would be harder positions to race successfully. For that reason I would place the weakest of the 3 HL's at 5 so he would always be riding alongside another HL.

I don't think there's much to choose in regards to the other two places they ride in , probably clubs will be more inclined to choose the positions on the 'Horses for Courses' policy.......

Edited by GRW123

The plonker has forgotten the Budgies, who are probably capable of a playoff place!

No doubt he will say he typed it but it mysteriously disappeared when he pressed the post button!

And when he corrects it he will probably demote Poole to fifth!

That`s a kind description but much tamer what i think of 99.9% of your posts. :t:

Post edited for my mistake with Poole still in 4th. -_-

• Like 1

I reckon there will be a clear top 3 this year (injuries etc permitting) of Cov, Poole and Kings Lynn - it will be good to see that old Cov/Poole rivalry fighting each other for the title again - mind you, few seem to like Old Big Head's team and his hapless predictions suggest a fool with keyboard.. :t:

As for the rest, those fighting for the last play off place (in no particular order) should be :-

Belle Vue

Eastbourne,

Lakeside

Swindon

Although things always seem to go wrong for Belle Vue and Poole may cancel Lakeside if it doesn't suit..

Finally bringing up the rear :-

Leicester,

Wolves

Birmingham

Though one of these may cause a 'bit of shock'..

Here's hoping for a summer of great weather, excellent racing and a closely fought run to the title with the Devil's Own spitting and a'chomping as has become (mostly) their norm (despite their malpractises).. :t::D

Edited by yerropes

Coventry

Kings Lynn

Poole

Belle Vue

Eastbourne

Swindon

Wolves

Lakeside

Leicester

Birmingham

Top 4 is in no particular order but I see Eastbourne and Swindon just missing out.

Appreciate what you say about the riding order, and the importance of their positions, depending where and who you are against, But I don't see why the No 5 is the harder position then the rest.

Like you say the No 5 is riding with another Heat-leader (HL) in every race, and that must be helpful to him, and the opposition is quite consistent whatever order you race, in that, in 2 races he faces 2 HL's and the other two he races HL and 2nd Strg. as do positions 1 and 3. Bearing in mind, in team positions 1 and 3, you race half your races with a 2 Strg I would have thought these would be harder positions to race successfully. For that reason I would place the weakest of the 3 HL's at 5 so he would always be riding alongside another HL.

I don't think there's much to choose in regards to the other two places they ride in , probably clubs will be more inclined to choose the positions on the 'Horses for Courses' policy.......

The reason I'd have the no'5 as the hardest position is at home they in heat 3 & 5 then a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE gap then race heats 11, 13 & potentially 15.

The no'5's will be hoping for numerous delays in the heats between, and it gives no time at all to fix any mechanical issues except from heat 6 - 10. Also, within 5 heats tracks, especially UK tracks change massively within that time. We all know also what heatleaders are like, they absolutely love tinker time.

Edit: As it's the final updated predictions thread I'll go with

Poole to win after Play-Offs

Coventry to top the table

King's Lynn to make the Play-Offs

Birmingham to almost go bust by the end of the season. I can't help but feel for their supporters as they just don't have a team to enjoy. I think their promotion have gone for some serious corner cutting on costs which is a very dangerous game to play with the paying public

Edited by screamer

Apart from Coventry obviously having a good National League reserve in Garrity like Poole have with Newman I can't see why they are being rated so highly as the top 5 ain't that special.

An injury to Garrity & their season could go a totally different direction.

Apart from Coventry obviously having a good National League reserve in Garrity like Poole have with Newman I can't see why they are being rated so highly as the top 5 ain't that special.

An injury to Garrity & their season could go a totally different direction.

That's the same for all teams though, you can only predict on what's at face value and if every team fires at their potential Cov will be right there

Kings Lynn

Poole

Lakeside

Eastbourne

Belle Vue

Wolves

Coventry

Swindon

Leicester

Birmingham

Top two and bottom two clear by a fair way, not much between the rest IMO.

#1 Poole

#2 Belle Vue

#3 Wolves

#4 Eastbourne

#5 King's Lynn

#6 Swindon

#7 Lakeside

#8 Leicester

#9 Coventry

#10 Birmingham

That is everybody isn't it? ;):D

#1 Poole

#2 Belle Vue

#3 Wolves

#4 Eastbourne

#5 King's Lynn

#6 Swindon

#7 Lakeside

#8 Leicester

#9 Coventry

#10 Birmingham

Yes, but you have it upside down :D

• Like 3

My Prediction would be

1st...Kings Lynn

2nd...Coventry

3rd...Wolves

4th...Poole

5th...Belle Vue

6th...Swindon

7th...Eastborne

8th...Leicester

9th...Lakeside

10th...Birmingham

#1 Poole

#2 Belle Vue

#3 Wolves

#4 Eastbourne

#5 King's Lynn

#6 Swindon

#7 Lakeside

#8 Leicester

#9 Coventry

#10 Birmingham

Wolves 3rd and Coventry 9th - really? You may end up being right, but I think the majority think that Coventry will be at the upper end and Wolves in the middle. I'm also not so sure about Eastbourne making the play-offs but a few people have them down for that due to their home track advantage.

That's the same for all teams though, you can only predict on what's at face value and if every team fires at their potential Cov will be right there

Look at the averages of Harris , Howarth, Hansen & Fisher & I can't see that much of an improvement in any of them so they are solely relying on Garrity scoring well at reserve.

I just don't see it with the top 5 at all.