British Speedway Forum
NeilWatson

Peterborough Panthers 2014

I hope young Greenwood gets his place back when he is fit.

• Like 1

I hope young Greenwood gets his place back when he is fit.

yeah and boot Joe Jacobs out... :o

Jacobs has lost his PL mojo due to over riding off the back of the EL fast track system

I wish you had dumped him before Tuesday night as he wouldn't have won heat 14. :P

Barrett has the potential to be a decent rider seemed to lose a bit of confidence at Berwick last year, but maybe new surroundings will get him back on track i wish him all the best.

• Like 1

Barrett has the potential to be a decent rider seemed to lose a bit of confidence at Berwick last year, but maybe new surroundings will get him back on track i wish him all the best.

From what I'm told by people who knew him, 2 things played on his mind...

1. Was his own injury

2. Ricky's accident

Good signing by Peterborough if he gets back on form :-)

Best of luck to Barrett for the rest of the season at Peterborough, if he gets his confidence going he could be a trump card for the Panthers, and its no bad thing for Berwick to have one of their assets racing on a regular bases over here.

• Like 1

Cant be any worse than the guests we've had, so good move :) hopefully Greenwood comes back for Jacobs.

Cant be any worse than the guests we've had, so good move :) hopefully Greenwood comes back for Jacobs.

Looks like Jo will have to make sure his average drops below Greenwood to be sure to keep his place then! Strange this Speedway lark sometimes eh?

Doing a decent job of that anyway, Greenwood has shown more promise this season, being able to pass people also helps.

Think both the reserves have been on the pace this season, but the senior riders Fish,Ales & Ulric have all been inconsistent, thus not giving them time to settle.

Good score from Joe Jacobs last night at Swindon. 8+1 including a fall. Need him to produce that form at the very least in the PL.

Good score from Joe Jacobs last night at Swindon. 8+1 including a fall. Need him to produce that form at the very least in the PL.

as he said though:

“The Premier League is very tough to ride in as you’re competing against the opposition’s top riders.

“The Elite League is not as difficult because you are always are riding against at least one National League rider.”

panthersweb

• Like 1

Yes there is. And in terms of racing I prefer the EL, not because there are more 'good' races, because to be honest I think the number of 'good' races in a meeting has been pretty much the same in PL and EL. But the first couple of bends are a little more cut and thrust in the EL, and there is a higher chance of a 'Wow, did you see that' kind of move happening.

That said, I enjoyed following Brum in the PL immensely and I wouldn't worry if we ever end up back there. There is slightly more variation in the teams you face, though not to the degree that some PL diehards would like to believe.

Time to review at the EoES (well Plummer's view anyway):

Speedway: The pros and cons of racing in the Premier League - (peterboroughtoday 27/6/14)

We are slap-bang in the middle of the speedway season. Therefore it is the perfect time for MARK PLUMMER to assess the positives and negatives of Panthers’ return to Premier League racing for the first time since 1998...

PROS

Regular racing

Panthers fans have long since called for regular action at Alwalton and the move into the Premier League has allowed that to happen. The vast majority of home meetings are taking place on Tuesday nights.

Excellent entertainment

The racing has probably been better than ever at the East of England Showground. A whole host of thrilling home meetings have taken place on the city shale with the likes of number one Ryan Fisher and skipper Ulrich Ostergaard providing edge-of-the-seat drama in almost every ride.

More chances of glory

A packed calendar of racing and a host of different competitions means plenty of opportunities to challenge for honours. Panthers are out of the KO Cup, but are still involved in the last four of the League Cup and will be expected to charge through the Premier League pack to clinch a play-off spot. In addition there is also Premier League Pairs and Premier League Fours glory to aim at with Panthers boasting home advantage for the latter.

Variety

Of course there are plenty of familiar faces from the Elite League era spread across the Premier League’s 13 teams, but there is also lots of exciting young talent which many Panthers fans will be seeing for the first time. It all adds up to a truly competitive environment.

CONS

Poor turnout

Panthers have struggled to attract sustainable attendances despite providing regular, high-class racing and lowering admission prices. Mick Horton has gone as far as urging regular supporters to help boost crowds by introducing family members, friends and work colleagues to the sport.

Tuesday trouble

There must be a question mark over whether or not the club’s chosen race-night has caught on. Panthers run the risk of clashes with football matches (both local and national, live and televised) during the opening and closing months of the speedway season.

Fixture clashes

They are almost inevitable in a structure where some riders can operate at all three levels and plenty more race in two leagues, but they can be a serious hindrance. For example Panthers recently travelled to Plymouth for an important KO Cup quarter-final, second leg without number one Ryan Fisher and reserve Joe Jacobs, who were both required by their Elite League clubs on the same night.

Short on stars

One gripe occasionally aired this season is the absence of big-name riders. It is of course a completely accurate point, yet one which certainly wouldn’t be guaranteed to improve on the terrific action already being served up.

Edited by Crump99

if p/boro fans want STARS to see on a regular bases. look no further than the elite league, thats the one in Sweden on a Tuesdays.. oops...

the uk (E)LITE LEAGUE is a very watered down product. so stick in the pl and enjoy variety every week..