British Speedway Forum
PTDragons

Speedway In Wales

Having recently bought Andrew Weltch's "Speedway in Wales" book, I wondered if there is any news out there of Speedway potentially returning to Wales.

It is such a shame that we have no track in the country.

Hi PT - I thought I'd found a suitable venue last summer, but having contacted possible promoters, that venue would appear to be unsuitable. I would suggest that the only option for enthusiasts who are not in a position to promote themselves is to search for possible venues and make those venues known to any potential promoters. The Walters Arena (Vale of Neath) may still be available despite the Wind Farm development there - I'll go and have a look soon. The Carmarthen Showground track is still there and it doesn't look like the proposed hotel on the site will ever be built, but when I contacted the committee a couple of months ago a committee member told me that Speedway couldn't return there, but wasn't prepared to give me a reason. With signs that the economic situation is improving possibly those of us who would love to see Speedway returning to Wales should make a concerted effort to find a suitable site and form a supporters group to help any potential promoters, including some financial assistance/offers of sponsorship.

Can't see speedway back in Newport there is empty land doing nothing all along the m4 westbound trouble is who has the money no one so it will never happen

Having recently bought Andrew Weltch's "Speedway in Wales" book, I wondered if there is any news out there of Speedway potentially returning to Wales.

It is such a shame that we have no track in the country.

What background does the book have in regard to the early years of speedway - 1928 and 1929. How many tracks were there?

And I think that in those pioneer days there was even a 1929 Wales v England 'test' match, possibly with West Ham's Jack Adams the England captain.

Edited by Guest

The Cardiff White City track is now a housing estate with no obvious signs anywhere there was once a speedway (or greyhound) stadium there. The Penarth Road Stadium that hosted speedway from 51-53 is now an industrial estate with a road called "Stadium Close" which I'm guessing is where the stadium once stood. (edit, Stadium Close would be pretty much where the 4th bend was looking at old photos and maps)

Apparently Cardiff has hosted speedway at 4 stadiums, the Millenium Stadium is the 3rd but I can find no reference to a 4th, anyone got any ideas?

Edited by SCB

http://www.internati....uk/walveng.htm

Further to the 1929 England v Wales test matches: I wonder how many Welsh riders were involved.

On a modern note: what is the situation at the more recent Carmarthen track of recent times?

Edited by Guest

On a modern note: what is the situation at the more recent Carmarthen track of recent times?

You really are taking muppet-status to new levels by asking that question because ...

The Carmarthen Showground track is still there and it doesn't look like the proposed hotel on the site will ever be built, but when I contacted the committee a couple of months ago a committee member told me that Speedway couldn't return there, but wasn't prepared to give me a reason.

... that informative and tidy answer appeared 5-posts above (or 9-hours before) your question !!

Here's an idea ... when a thread's in as early a stage as this one, requiring just a few moments to be fully digested, how about reading it before showcasing your ignorance to the rest of the forum ?

Edited by arthur cross
  • Like 3

You really are taking muppet-status to new levels by asking that question because ...

... that informative and tidy answer appeared 5-posts above (or 9-hours before) your question !!

Here's an idea ... when a thread's in as early a stage as this one, requiring just a few moments to be fully digested, how about reading it before showcasing your ignorance to the rest of the forum ?

Thank you for your informative answers - all sent in the best traditions of the BSF!

Sorry if I've missed the answer in an earlier post :blush: but was there not an england v wales test match at slough? :unsure:

Sorry if I've missed the answer in an earlier post :blush: but was there not an england v wales test match at slough? :unsure:

This was the nearest to Slough they could manage:

02.09.1929 : Wimbledon Wales 23 England 40

Not sure PW, but perhaps the Slough Rangers, cycle speedway team, may have hosted an England v Wales test, sadly I believe they are now defunct, unlike the mighty motorcycle version, which goes from strength to strength! :approve:

• Like 1

This may well have occurred because the poster has <10 posts in which case moderator approval is necessary before the post is displayed. Once approved the post is then inserted into the thread backdated to the time it was originally submitted. I am/have been in this situation. By the time my post was approved 48 hours later the discussion had moved on so I too looked like a muppet!

This may well have occurred because the poster has <10 posts in which case moderator approval is necessary before the post is displayed. Once approved the post is then inserted into the thread backdated to the time it was originally submitted. I am/have been in this situation. By the time my post was approved 48 hours later the discussion had moved on so I too looked like a muppet!

That backdated of Posts when in Moderation is indeed something that I have encountered in regard to Posts moving on. But I don't know if that's what has happened in the case of comments regarding Carmarthen. The main thing is we do know what the situation is in regard to that Welsh venue.