British Speedway Forum
bullet

The Stags Ride Again!

Do you have anything better to do rouge trader than slag Cradley off it's our only team so obviously the management are going to pick the best riders in a attempt to win the league. I applaud Scunthorpe for there efforts in bringing on top riders and hopefully if we get our own stadium we can do the same but for the moment I am grateful to even have a team at all. I am waiting for the usual win at all costs Cradley comments.

• Like 1

Fantastic to see Scunthorpe back, as it is a track I always love visiting, and I shall endeavor to make it up there when Stoke are there.

As for a team, there are still a few familiar faces to Scunthorpe without a club, and given their aim to bring riders through, it wouldn't surprise me to see a few of them there.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them tempt Gary Irving back to the sport, and potentially add Tommy Fenwick after a season out. They may even try and tempt James Birkinshaw back to ride, and have a good top 2 with rookies along the way.

Either way, it's good to see one of the better tracks at developing talent back in the NL.

Tommy Fenwick has already told me that he doesn't intend racing this year, which is a shame to honest.

RYAN MacDonald from Glasgow has become the second rider to be confirmed in the new Scunthorpe Stags National League team.

The 19-year-old Scot impressed in the Northern Junior League last season with the most improved rider and is expected to start the campaign wearing the No.2 race-jacket.

Chairman Richard Hollingsworth said: “Ryan is more than ready for the National League and has an excellent attitude to his racing. He has invested in decent equipment

• Like 2

RYAN MacDonald from Glasgow has become the second rider to be confirmed in the new Scunthorpe Stags National League team.

The 19-year-old Scot impressed in the Northern Junior League last season with the most improved rider and is expected to start the campaign wearing the No.2 race-jacket.

Chairman Richard Hollingsworth said: “Ryan is more than ready for the National League and has an excellent attitude to his racing. He has invested in decent equipment

I hope Ryan has also signed a Glasgow contract. :neutral: If not why not? :mad: Or is that too much for the promotion to think about?

• Like 1

great stuff! I've allways enjoyed watching the youngsters racing,they give it their all for four laps,and of course there is allways the possibility of uncovering stars of the future.congrats to all at E.W.R for making thi happen. :t:

• Like 2

And back to reality once again. Monmore Wood does not exist. You ride at Monmore Green, Wolverhampton.

In total agreement, the fans that call it that are just playing on the old days. As much as I love The Heathens I am a fan who is not old enough to remember the Dudley Wood days, I've only ever watched Dudley Heathens till now. I don't mind the name change but wish we would keep our history but look to the now and the future without bringing the 'Gud Ol Days'.

I support Cradley Heathens through and through but we ride at Monmore Green our adopted home until we can find our own track and even then I wouldn't want the track to be called Dudley Wood again...why look to a troubled past, I know it has success but it also gave the majority of the fans heartache.

Onto the Stags, bit confused by wanting to bring riders through but why not for British Speedway and not just Scunny and Poole?

I guess its worded that way because Scunny and Poole are the ones putting the £'s into the venture.

Hopefully Lord Ford's involvement will prevent decent youngsters being lured away from Scunny as they have in the past, although ironically Kyle Howarth was one of the first when he defected from the Saints to Bournemouth!

If one or two can graduate from Stags to Scorpions to Pirates to Team GB then everyone's a winner :cheers:

• Like 1

I guess its worded that way because Scunny and Poole are the ones putting the £'s into the venture.

Hopefully Lord Ford's involvement will prevent decent youngsters being lured away from Scunny as they have in the past, although ironically Kyle Howarth was one of the first when he defected from the Saints to Bournemouth!

If one or two can graduate from Stags to Scorpions to Pirates to Team GB then everyone's a winner :cheers:

Yeh fully agree, I love watching NL Speedway and really am thrilled with Devon Devils and Scunthorpe Stages are now involved.

As much as many of Cradley Fans want to see the team win and be sucsessful I seriously enjoy watching the young lads enetering the sport and over the season developing into PL riders within one or two years in some cases.

I really hope that the EL Draft continues into next year and the supporters of the EL teams enjoy what they have to offer and make the EL a very exciting league to watch.

I think the Stags will have the highest average gain in the league this year as Scunny have a great hostory of developing riders!

• Like 1

I hope Ryan has also signed a Glasgow contract. :neutral: If not why not? :mad: Or is that too much for the promotion to think about?

Just to clarify we aren't developing other club's assets any more (with the possible exception of a number one). Ryan needs to be in the NL and we have offered him a team place with him signing for Scunthorpe. We will invest time and money into Ryan (e.g. track time, training and the expenses of running an NL team) and if he makes it we have an asset but so does British (and in this case Scottish) speedway. No disrespect to most clubs in the country but they can't offer this kind of deal/experience. That is why Ryan and others should sign for clubs like Scunthorpe and not their local side.
  • Like 8

I suppose the only thing is if everyone did that then there would be the need for 54 3.00 riders. Are there that many waiting in the wings? because if there are then yes the points limit should be dropped.

If the points level was reduced I'm sure every team could have two or three without too much trouble. It would also reduce the costs of running a team and with the increased prospects of actually developing riders might even attract others clubs to run teams. By my fag-packet reckoning the other eight teams only have three untried riders in their lineups so far (Adam Extance, Connor Mountain and Rob Shuttleworth. An absolute travesty in my opinion. Of course you have to remember we won't always have six three-pointers in the team. If we have chosen well several will be riding for us next year. However, I can guarantee we will always have places for new talent :)

If the points level was reduced I'm sure every team could have two or three without too much trouble. It would also reduce the costs of running a team and with the increased prospects of actually developing riders might even attract others clubs to run teams. By my fag-packet reckoning the other eight teams only have three untried riders in their lineups so far (Adam Extance, Connor Mountain and Rob Shuttleworth. An absolute travesty in my opinion. Of course you have to remember we won't always have six three-pointers in the team. If we have chosen well several will be riding for us next year. However, I can guarantee we will always have places for new talent :)

Josh Bailey and to be fair Danny Phillips unless he is classed as having ridden a season for Scunthorpe. RTD does have some experience but guesting not declared although that was questionable. I suppose it depends on what you are classing as experienced.

All the best with your project and hopefully more will follow. It's to be hoped that PL take the bull by the horns to as I think that is where the problem has lay in the past PL or scrap heap and it is notoriously difficult to get a PL spot without the pressures put on reserves by mediocre foreign 2nd strings but the tide is changing.

• Like 1

Josh Bailey and to be fair Danny Phillips unless he is classed as having ridden a season for Scunthorpe. RTD does have some experience but guesting not declared although that was questionable. I suppose it depends on what you are classing as experienced.

All the best with your project and hopefully more will follow. It's to be hoped that PL take the bull by the horns to as I think that is where the problem has lay in the past PL or scrap heap and it is notoriously difficult to get a PL spot without the pressures put on reserves by underperforming foreign 2nd strings but the tide is changing. I would take it a step further and allow a certain number of foreign riders in the NL give the Brits a fair playing field could show a few of the overseas riders in a truer reflection :-)

Edited by TMW

Just to clarify we aren't developing other club's assets any more (with the possible exception of a number one). Ryan needs to be in the NL and we have offered him a team place with him signing for Scunthorpe. We will invest time and money into Ryan (e.g. track time, training and the expenses of running an NL team) and if he makes it we have an asset but so does British (and in this case Scottish) speedway. No disrespect to most clubs in the country but they can't offer this kind of deal/experience. That is why Ryan and others should sign for clubs like Scunthorpe and not their local side.

Couldn't have put it better myself Richard and Ryan intends to take full advantage of these facility's and everything that comes along with riding for Scunthorpe

• Like 1

I don't blame Scunthorpe but I would blame Glasgow for having no interest in the rider. Ryan was happy to appear at road shows for Glasgow but hey I'm just a supporter. :neutral:

• Like 1