more like

1. Jones

2. 3 point british rider

3. 3 point british rider

4. Ryan Macdonald

5. Arron Mogridge

6. 3 point british rider

7. Reece Downes

i dont think people understand what the stags are trying to do this year, it is very simple steve jones will be at 1 and the rest of the team will be 3 point rookies. there will be no 12 point riders and certainly no aussies in an all british league. by no means is it going to be easy and there will likely be some big losses but it will benefit the stags for 2015 then maybe if progress is made maybe the scorpions 2016/17 then poole 2018/19 and maybe 2020/21 team gb could have a crack at the world cup with a team rolled off the scunny production line. not saying this will happen but you never know. imagine a wold cup team in 2021 consisting of

1, tai woffinden (started at cl at ewr)

2, craig cook (had first meeting as a saint)

3, ash birks (started as a saint)

4, richie worrall (started as a saint)

5, any one of 6 young rookies to start the season as a stag.

• Like 4

i dont think people understand what the stags are trying to do this year, it is very simple steve jones will be at 1 and the rest of the team will be 3 point rookies. there will be no 12 point riders and certainly no aussies in an all british league. by no means is it going to be easy and there will likely be some big losses but it will benefit the stags for 2015 then maybe if progress is made maybe the scorpions 2016/17 then poole 2018/19 and maybe 2020/21 team gb could have a crack at the world cup with a team rolled off the scunny production line. not saying this will happen but you never know. imagine a wold cup team in 2021 consisting of

1, tai woffinden (started at cl at ewr)

2, craig cook (had first meeting as a saint)

3, ash birks (started as a saint)

4, richie worrall (started as a saint)

5, any one of 6 young rookies to start the season as a stag.

I realise what they are doing because I know which riders are possibly signing ;) Not naming any names though :D

I realise what they are doing because I know which riders are possibly signing ;) Not naming any names though :D

In the know, in the know, in the know pmsl man jeez :rolleyes:

• Like 1

more like

1. Jones

2. 3 point british rider

3. 3 point british rider

4. Ryan Macdonald

5. Arron Mogridge

6. 3 point british rider

7. Reece Downes

I hope so, this is exactly how NL teams should be built.

• Like 4

I hope so, this is exactly how NL teams should be built.

And once again....not for the stand alone clubs. Scunny has an A team not all have that luxury. All the best to all the Stags hope Jones finds his form this years

Its what we should be working towards though, each third tier club having one experienced rider and six rookies. Not going to happen overnight but with a 3-5 year plan and better opportunities for U15's it can happen.

If clubs like Dudley & Mildenhall want to load their team with PL riders then they should be competing in that league rather than scrapping out a two horse race every year in the NL.

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Like 2

Its what we should be working towards though, each third tier club having one experienced rider and six rookies. Not going to happen overnight but with a 3-5 year plan and better opportunities for U15's it can happen.

If clubs like Dudley & Mildenhall want to load their team with PL riders then they should be competing in that league rather than scrapping out a two horse race every year in the NL.

Well Dudley don't have a track and Mildenhall are on the verge of losing theirs so they could both dissappear so yoi may get your wish. I imagine the hire of Monmore is expensive and they need successful teams to keep the gate money coming in.

Surely the 3 pointers need the PL reserves more to give them a marker for PL than the teams that need success otherwise the PL will be far to bigger jump.

• Like 2

Would you pay to watch that team come to your track though ? I certainly wouldn't because they wont be competitive.

Thats the million dollar question. Maybe the whole league should be restructured to include 2nd teams only and stand alones should be forced to run in the PL or not run at all. Where is the sense in that? The league can accomodate both agendas it doesn't make either of them right or wrong

Would you pay to watch that team come to your track though ? I certainly wouldn't because they wont be competitive.

Thast not Scunthorpe problem.

About 4 years ago Scunthorpe had a NL team of no hopers, it did struggle, the year after that team of no hopers won the NL. It contained Birks and 2 Worralls who are all pretty good riders.

About 7 years ago now Scunthrowp had a NL team with Haines, Auty, Woffinden and Richie Dennis in. All 4 set for big things. Dennis sadly didn't seem interested in PL racing while one of them is now a World Champion, another a 5 point EL rider and another has drifted away due to injury but was heading the right way.

Which other CL/NL team can claim to have done so much for British youth?

I trust Rob Godfrey, he knows what he's doing. If British Speedway had 30 Rob Godfreys (and his team of wonderful support people), 30 Scunthorpe Speedway then IMO we'd be SWC winners in 10 years time and have so many British riders after places in the GPs they'd hate us around the rest of the World.

Exactly. Our third tier needs more rookies and fifteen year olds.

I applaud Rob Godfrey & Sunny for what they are doing.

• Like 2

I agree with you Baggy, but are there enough of these rookies to go around, and what do you do with riders who have a year or two's experience but aren't yet up to Premier League standard ?

I agree with you Baggy, but are there enough of these rookies to go around, and what do you do with riders who have a year or two's experience but aren't yet up to Premier League standard ?

Nobody is saying thrown them on the scrap heap but if you keep signing riders with 2 or 3 years experience you'll never find a new rider, maybe a diamond in the rough. It makes no sense for the clubs with PL and EL teams to sign on loan a rider with a few years experience who may go on to be ok when they could try out someone new and they may just go on to be there asset and become a major rider.

Got to know Rob Godfrey a little bit last season, & have to say his enthusiasm & efforts are second to none when it comes to helping British youngsters. My opinions are more to do with the National League, & its continued improvement. A team desperately short of being competitive is not good for the league in my opinion. The riders mentioned didn't all progress from 3 pointers to good riders in the same team in the same season, & it isn't realistic to expect it to happen next season.