British Speedway Forum
Woz01

Elite Riders Championship - 25/09/2014

Who was the Coventry track man previous to the polish chap who does it now ? And did he leave his position of track curater or was he released ?

Terry.....with a long surname I can't spell......and he was released. He does read the forum but I very much doubt if he would make any comments.

• Like 1

Terry.....with a long surname I can't spell......and he was released. He does read the forum but I very much doubt if he would make any comments.

I believe it was Terry Chrabaszcz ?

What is the point in all this agonising?

It's happened, we the fans cannot influence it and certainly cannot influence it on this forum or by moaning down the pub.

Send snotty letters to the BSPA by all means and complain face to face with whoever you hold to blame if you get the chance, that is a good start for either the ELRC or Storm match debacles.

What should concern everyone in the speedway community who is British, is why was it necessary to employ a foreign track curator at all?

Why is it in anyone's interests except well paid expert track curators, to keep this black art to themselves, instead of training competent people who are already skilled with tractors and grading machinery i.e. farm and highways workers.

The plain, simple answer is money and it is a nasty vicious circle:

Rubbish track

Poor racing

Dwindling spectator base

Poor receipts

Little money to re-invest

Poor track preparation conducted by inappropriate persons

Poor promoting

Expensive machinery hamstringing ordinary working class riders.

Less disposable income for many spectators due to the stupidity and greed of bankers and politicians.

What did the much loved and sadly missed Wiggy say when interviewed in Speedway Star many years ago when asked what his ideal track surface was; "Dirt up to the wheel spindles", no doubt spoken with his trademark grin?

Good stuff...although I am not sure about the 'British' and 'foreign' bit ...not really relevant to whether or not you are any good at preparing a speedway track!

I believe it was Terry Chrabaszcz ?

Something like that, but there might be a couple more c's and z's. :lol:

• Like 1

Bite the bullet Coventry Speedway, & get Terry back. Or does it suit your long term requirements to close the track asap ?

What should concern everyone in the speedway community who is British, is why was it necessary to employ a foreign track curator at all?

What relevance has the nationality of the track curator got to do with this?

How many non-British speedway riders are there in British speedway - and, using your stereotyped attitude, how many of them have you decided are actually good enough to deserve to be riding in Britain?

Edited by Had Enough
  • Like 1

Getting back to the issue of Sunday's debacle, The blame surely has to rest with the boss. It is his responsibility to make sure everything is in order.

If we had swapped Buster with Horton, this wouldn't have happened. Had the track been unridable, this decision would have been reached until he had put a lot of effort trying to remedy the problem. The meeting would have been cancelled at a time, so that supporters would not have been affected, and not wasted so much time and money.....

The BSPA haven't performed very well in this case either, but the BUTT rests on Horton's head, whether he likes it or not.

I feel total sympathy for the Bees supporters. At a time when all the powers should be sticking together, we are subjected to a ridiculous situation caused by inefficiency of certain people. Brandon was once the mega of British Speedway, every rider and supporter wanted to go there. God , How things have changed...........

Anybody would think this is the first time this has happened in front of Sky cameras.. It happened not long ago at Poole where the track situation was very similar to the Brandon track, seem to remember Bomber coming off his machine being unable to turn it in the pre meeting parade, there was a similar episode at Belle Vue when the track was unrideable and looked like a ploughed field, I also remember the Kings Lynn track a few seasons ago that too was virtually unraceable.The biggest problem with the Coventry meeting was that it was going to be a big curtain raiser, everybody had high expectations, a lot of people had booked their Sky package and yes it was a big disappointment but its not the first nor the last time it will happen..Its a difficult task knowing when to call off a meeting at the best of times especially when Sky are in town.

• Like 1

Yep, similar thing happened at Sheffield apart from it rained! :wink:

Getting back to the issue of Sunday's debacle, The blame surely has to rest with the boss. It is his responsibility to make sure everything is in order.

If we had swapped Buster with Horton, this wouldn't have happened. Had the track been unridable, this decision would have been reached until he had put a lot of effort trying to remedy the problem. The meeting would have been cancelled at a time, so that supporters would not have been affected, and not wasted so much time and money.....

The BSPA haven't performed very well in this case either, but the BUTT rests on Horton's head, whether he likes it or not.

I feel total sympathy for the Bees supporters. At a time when all the powers should be sticking together, we are subjected to a ridiculous situation caused by inefficiency of certain people. Brandon was once the mega of British Speedway, every rider and supporter wanted to go there. God , How things have changed...........

The Bees promotion were not the boss of the meeting though were they? Its a bspa event they call the shots, they even had there own track man Mr Russell there. There wasnt a lot any of them could do when the track curator refused to do what was asked, the question I want to know is why did the bspa wait till 5.30 to call it off? A lunchtime cancallation and this thread wouldve been half the size.

Yep, similar thing happened at Sheffield apart from it rained! :wink:

Bite the bullet Coventry Speedway, & get Terry back. Or does it suit your long term requirements to close the track asap ?

Coventry Stadium released him not Coventry Speedway.

• Like 2

Personally don`t think the League riders should have been moved from its end of season slot, early or late season the weather is too dodgy and nowadays even mid season theres always a risk of rain . I`m one of the old ones who remember the Hyde Road League riders they were as good as a world final and a nice way to end a season. The idea of the League riders was for ALL the top dogs of the season to do battle against one another to decide the ultimate top dog its now been turned into a early season individual meeting, they spoil everything the BSPA.

• Like 3

Regardless of who is to blame it's a fiasco that a sport as fragile as speedway could have done without.

SKY will probably be livid at this happening and regretting not showing live dominoes instead of speedway.

Having an inquiry into this debacle is pointless as the sport will pick a scapegoat such as this mysterious foreign trackman and then trundle on to the next disaster.

Track preparation is important but as last few years shows the money isn't there as it was spent on Greg Hancock.

If the sports showcase event ended up as an utter shambles it does not bode well for the rest of the season.

Comparing other sporting disasters with speedway is also pointless as these sports have money whereas speedway is a beggar on the sidewalk that is ignored by the vast majority.

It would be funny except that it isn't. Speedway's coffin has so many nails in it that it might be worth selling it for scrap value and starting somewhere else.

Another black day for a sport that is self destructing faster than a pair of suicidal Panda's.

• Like 5

The Bees promotion were not the boss of the meeting though were they? Its a bspa event they call the shots, they even had there own track man Mr Russell there. There wasnt a lot any of them could do when the track curator refused to do what was asked, the question I want to know is why did the bspa wait till 5.30 to call it off? A lunchtime cancallation and this thread wouldve been half the size.

Exactly. That is the crux of the matter. There can be an excuse why the track wasn't racable, but there is no excuse for the lateness in the cancellation.

It cost supporters a lot of time and money,

Brandon was once the mega of British Speedway, every rider and supporter wanted to go there. God , How things have changed...........

made me laugh!!! :t:

The Bees promotion were not the boss of the meeting though were they? Its a bspa event they call the shots

Isn't there a clue in the term "Shared Event"