British Speedway Forum
stratton

The Best Brits.

Carter was indisputably the best british rider in 82 and 85 and possibly 81. You omitted his two british titles, one on a broken leg.engine failure at wembley, the fall in la - id say he only undrlerachieved in norden to be fair, though he was still only a point behind lee.

Yes it was a great achievement his British Final wins, i saw both i also saw him ride in the Oxford semi as well.Certainly he was England,s no 1 in 85 in the (Wigg, Evitts,Doncaster,Tatum era the other years no way in my opinion.He was on par but not undisputed, certainly in 1983 i remember he had England,s no 1 on the side of his van. I remember Lee laughing at this then Lee going out and destroyed him 4.0 over two legs in the Helmet not in a month of Sundays was Carter no 1 in 1983. Edited by sidney

I agree lee was the best brit in 83, ahead of Carter and morton.

In 82 though, carters best season, who do u think was close to him?

In 81 he was top brit in bl averages, world final and blrc champ.

I agree lee was the best brit in 83, ahead of Carter and morton.

In 82 though, carters best season, who do u think was close to him?

In 81 he was top brit in bl averages, world final and blrc champ.

But he never dominated even in the test matches v USA he was not always great, Morton,Lee( 82 his worst season) even PC past his best could still beat him i never ever see Carter go to King,s Lynn and beat Lee over a three race series.PC could and did and that was hard to do at Lynn, because he had his period where he was the best Brit full stop and it took even Lee from 76 onwards to even challenge him.Carter never had a spell where he was in and out Britains no 1 he was on par certainly in all of his World Final appearances i never believed he could win it mix it yes and he did and was unlucky but so have endless other riders.Lee,Sigalos,Sanders,S.Moran for me were the only riders who were capable of upstaging Nielsen and Gundersen in that spell.

andy smith don't feature much in list

Along with mort my favourite british rider of all time. But not close to the top dozen britss of all time or even the modern era.

andy smith don't feature much in list

Along with mort my favourite british rider of all time. But not close to the top dozen britss of all time or even the modern era.

Dlete duplicate

But he never dominated even in the test matches v USA he was not always great, Morton,Lee( 82 his worst season) even PC past his best could still beat him i never ever see Carter go to King,s Lynn and beat Lee over a three race series.PC could and did and that was hard to do at Lynn, because he had his period where he was the best Brit full stop and it took even Lee from 76 onwards to even challenge him.Carter never had a spell where he was in and out Britains no 1 he was on par certainly in all of his World Final appearances i never believed he could win it mix it yes and he did and was unlucky but so have endless other riders.Lee,Sigalos,Sanders,S.Moran for me were the only riders who were capable of upstaging Nielsen and Gundersen in that spell.

Who topped englands test averages in 82, scoring 27 points more than any other englishman v usa (and more than penhall or sigalos) and topping the scoring v denmsrk despite missing one of the three meetings? Who scored a maximum in the wtc as england got eliminated? Who finished on the podium of every world final quslifying round? Who topped the bl averages that season with over 11, a mark neither lee mort s moran sigalos or sanders ever achieved? Who won the blrc with a maximum in 82, again a feat none of those u name acieved? Ill give u a clue - its a rider who in six league and cup clashes that season was not beaten once by pc.

I respect your opinion sid, but to suggest that carter was not the best brit by a mile in 1982 is ludicrous.

Edited by waihekeaces1

where in my line did I say andy smith was one of the best??..with those british titles only bettered by a tiny minority, just thought hes worth a SUGGESTION

where in my line did I say andy smith was one of the best??..with those british titles only bettered by a tiny minority, just thought hes worth a SUGGESTION

You observed that he is not included in peoples lists of top 12 brits. I explsined why.

im just surprised a triple british champ is not mentioned..that was all....after all, he did compete in the times when the british title

wasn't swamped with lower lge riders

• Like 1

true, but it was also well below the standard of the 70s and 80s.

i'd imagine he will be regarded alongside the likes of Doncaster, Harris and Nicholls, rather than your Morts, Louis or Simmons, let alone the PCs, Lee etc.

regarded alongside nicholls??? the 7x record winner? that's a compliment for him..but yes. understand your point

Jason bunyan has the record for nz titles, but I have some doubts as to whether he is the best kiwi of all time ;)

Dlete duplicateWho topped englands test averages in 82, scoring 27 points more than any other englishman v usa (and more than penhall or sigalos) and topping the scoring v denmsrk despite missing one of the three meetings? Who scored a maximum in the wtc as england got eliminated? Who finished on the podium of every world final quslifying round? Who topped the bl averages that season with over 11, a mark neither lee mort s moran sigalos or sanders ever achieved? Who won the blrc with a maximum in 82, again a feat none of those u name acieved? Ill give u a clue - its a rider who in six league and cup clashes that season was not beaten once by pc.

I respect your opinion sid, but to suggest that carter was not the best brit by a mile in 1982 is ludicrous.

The best up there with a few others over a period 82 to 85 also in the tests he was not all that great bang average at Wimbledon, and at Ipswich as i recall.Carter being amongst Lee,Morton, he was there no doubt but it was different to an era when we had Betts,Boocock bros , Louis,Ashby,Louis, Wilson, Simmons all outstanding.PETER COLLINS is the only Englishmen that for me was top dog for a period and by some way Carter comes knowhere near that. Edited by sidney

The best up there with a few others over a period 82 to 85 also in the tests he was not all that great bang average at Wimbledon, and at Ipswich as i recall.Carter being amongst Lee,Morton, he was there no doubt but it was different to an era when we had Betts,Boocock bros , Louis,Ashby,Louis, Simmons all outstanding.PETER COLLINS is the only Englishmen that for me was top dog for a period and by some way Carter comes knowhere near that.

Agree 100% that carter is a notch down from the all time great british riders such as peter collins and lee.

However I certainly think he ranks in the same category as the likes of Simmons Louis morton etc - great British riders, but not all time greats.