British Speedway Forum
Ommer Mon

Who Was The Most Frustrating Rider?

Better than Havvy? How many British and World under 21 champs and Grand Slams did Silver win compared to Havvy? Silver was also older than Havvy but chose to stay NL longer rather than step up into BL in 87 like Havvy.

I agree Silver could and should have done better but was was too much of a show pony. I remember Ivan Mauger saying he wouldnt be a top class rider if he didnt tone down his riding style. Sadly he never did.

At 16/17 Silver was a better rider but sadly never got any better

Gert Handberg, how did he ever finish on the podium of a World Final??

Wow, now that is a serious Cradley challenger to my Finn Jensen!!! :D

Jamie luckhurst. A red hot prospect with Wimbledon in 85. Ipswich sign him in 86 and he really struggled and was dropped mid season which was rare back then !

Edinburgh took him on and he was awful for them too

Although he played his part in Hackneys '88 domination, Gary Rolls would've scored a lot more points if he had spent less time looking behind him during his races!

Paul Whittaker never fully realised his potential from the age of 15.

He recorded faster times than Mark Loram but never really achieved what he should have done before sadly injury took its toll

Jamie luckhurst. A red hot prospect with Wimbledon in 85. Ipswich sign him in 86 and he really struggled and was dropped mid season which was rare back then !

Sadly Jamie was carrying a head injury from his time at Ipswich, the effects of which weren't recognised until quite some time after.

So many careers have been halted not just by the injury itself but by the after-effects, physical and mental.

After making a packet buying and selling cars he's now into professionally photographing gorgeous women.

"Oh where did it all go wrong Mr.Luckhurst??"

Not all the time. Frustrating, yes. Top of our averages in 1988. Unforgettable 18 point max for us at Rye House one time. Capable of exceptional brilliance.

Paul Whittaker never fully realised his potential from the age of 15.

He recorded faster times than Mark Loram but never really achieved what he should have done before sadly injury took its toll

True, he was on the verge of an England call up in '91 when he broke his arm so badly that at one point they thought he might even lose it.

Never the same rider after that.

Bobby McNeil. I thought Swindon had signed the key to success when they bagged him. Numerous clubs were after his signature, but he chose the Robins in 77 I think. Two desperately disappointing seasons, littered with poor scores (some good ones) and injuries from falls caused only by himself.

Bobby McNeil. I thought Swindon had signed the key to success when they bagged him. Numerous clubs were after his signature, but he chose the Robins in 77 I think. Two desperately disappointing seasons, littered with poor scores (some good ones) and injuries from falls caused only by himself.

He spent 78-79 at Hackney where he didn't pull up any trees then retired at 24 after being badly affected by Vic Hardings death.

Sadly Jamie was carrying a head injury from his time at Ipswich, the effects of which weren't recognised until quite some time after.

So many careers have been halted not just by the injury itself but by the after-effects, physical and mental.

After making a packet buying and selling cars he's now into professionally photographing gorgeous women.

"Oh where did it all go wrong Mr.Luckhurst??"

It happens to a lot of sports people who have ooddles of potential and injuries curtail there progress in their choosen sport. Very pleased he's found a new good vocation. Some might say its fate. But im very sure he will look back and say, what if..

Edited by Starman2006

Luckhurst really was a prospect also before that i believed Keith Millard would do well.In the old national league Owen j, Tom were awesome very good riders my biggest disappointment was Henderson of Newcastle.