British Speedway Forum
Mr Blobby

Benefit Fund Bonanza, Leicester 09/03

Apart from the racing lines and the fact that this was the first outing for most of these riders this year, can anyone post how the individual Brits performed. Example was BB awful or were there circumstances relating to his score.

Edited by A ORLOV

Happy clappers?? I watch my Speedway at Monmore so i have every right to sing the praises of a great race track and prepared circuit.

Even at Monmore there are meetings that are lacking in passing or action. That is the way it goes.

It happens in ALL sports.

feel free to moan and whinge all you want, makes no different to me.

Feel free to moan and whinge all you like about the racing you watch. Feel free to moan and whinge if your local track closes down and you join the thousands left without a team to support.

However i would imagine you would moan and whinge about that too.

I am in no denial.Good Speedway on any track is the best sport to watch in the World. I never go expecting every single heat, match and race to be a classic.They cant be or wont be.

It is you that is in denial if you expect that level of `acceptability`.

Support or don't support, moan or whinge. It makes no difference to me. I am eternally grateful that a get to watch my Speedway at a track of my choosing and every week in the season.

No doubt you will continue to complain about yours.

Lets see if we both agree on this ."The speedway at Monmore is not a patch on what it was 3 years ago"( 2010) Agree or not ? Edited by New Science

In my experience, there's no comparison between Monmore (be that Wolves or Dudley) and Beaumont Park in terms of the quality of racing that you see there.

I think that anyone who goes to speedway in anticipation of a fantastic meeting every week is fooling themselves. Even at the best tracks, I'd say more races than not are won from the gate.

The thing is though that (again in my experience) Leicester is consistently poor (although I should say I saw one very decent meeting there a couple of years ago) whereas Wolverhampton is not. You can go to Wolves or Dudley with the anticipation that you have every chance of seeing a good match, but you can't say the same about Beaumont Park. That's not just the opinion of one or two at Leicester with an axe to grind, it is (as Kester accurately says) the prevailing view of fans from across the country.

On a final note, to blame people for the closure of a track because the product is poor is to completely absolve the promoter of that track of the responsibility to put on a good show. The simple fact is if you want paying customers you do the best you can with the product and, if you don't, the blame for closure actually lies with the promotion, not the stay away fans.

Wolves has been a long established track and club and Leicester is still in its infancy. So from that perspective they are miles apart.

As far as blaming fans for closure of tracks, i didn't say it wasn't the fault of the promotion did i??

Obviously i have enjoyed my few visits to Leicester so i couldn't point out what it is like for a regular weekly fan.

However here is another point why fans MUST support there local track ----- If Halifax/Bradford/Wimbledon/Cradley et al were offered a track and land tomorrow do you think they would moan on and on about the quality of the track on offer??

If people don't support there local track then there might not be one to watch Speedway at. The promotion need to address the track issue some seem to find problems with, but the fans also need to back the venture.

Lets see if we both agree on this ."The speedway at Monmore is not a patch on what it was 3 years ago"( 2010) Agree or not ?

Why do we need to agree? I have an opinion i am certainly not asking for you to share it or agree with it.

The Speedway at Monmore has been consistently good value in 2010 as in 2013. You clearly find a relevance in that.

• Like 2

Monmore is the worst place to watch speedway,Leicester is the best to watch speedway,also the tracks one is a great racing track the other is shocking,good and bad points at both.

Wolves has been a long established track and club and Leicester is still in its infancy. So from that perspective they are miles apart.

However here is another point why fans MUST support there local track ----- If Halifax/Bradford/Wimbledon/Cradley et al were offered a track and land tomorrow do you think they would moan on and on about the quality of the track on offer??

If people don't support there local track then there might not be one to watch Speedway at. The promotion need to address the track issue some seem to find problems with, but the fans also need to back the venture.

That's undoubtedly true but just how long do you need to be around to produce a decent racing track ? From what I saw Kent was pretty poor last season so they have that excuse to a degree but I'd say Leicester do not.

Plymouth have only been in existence for a few more seasons than Leicester but as far as I am concerned SBA is one of best racing tracks in the country.

I have little doubt that if Halifax/Bradford announced they were coming back there would be a huge amount of local (and national) support. How long that would last if the track proved to be rubbish is another matter, and that's precisely what has happened at Leicester.

You're right that the promotion need to address track issue but despite the fact that there have been four seasons of criticism from both Leicester fans and those across the country as far as I can see they have done absolutely nothing but brush the criticism aside. There are one or two on here who have stated that they have given the promotion the benefit of the doubt and continued to attend but have just about had enough now. To me, that's an entirely reasonable point of view.

The thing is this : Why should people continue to pay every week when for 4 years their justifiable feedback has been basically ignored ?

• Like 5

Apart from the racing lines and the fact that this was the first outing for most of these riders this year, can anyone post how the individual Brits performed. Example was BB awful or were there circumstances relating to his score.

Cook was the most impressive rider on show, he looked well prepared and determined to make a big impression,.He made several overtakes in the early stages of races.

Woffinden was good enough though even he could not make up ground when behind.

Harris was his usual self, poor gating but some determined riding, race of the day with Pedersen.

King was up and down.

Howarth and Worrall tried hard and were decent second strings.

Lawson had two rides, one very good and one very bad.

BB was awful, not aware of any circumstances.

• Like 1

That's undoubtedly true but just how long do you need to be around to produce a decent racing track ? From what I saw Kent was pretty poor last season so they have that excuse to a degree but I'd say Leicester do not.

Plymouth have only been in existence for a few more seasons than Leicester but as far as I am concerned SBA is one of best racing tracks in the country.

I have little doubt that if Halifax/Bradford announced they were coming back there would be a huge amount of local (and national) support. How long that would last if the track proved to be rubbish is another matter, and that's precisely what has happened at Leicester.

You're right that the promotion need to address track issue but despite the fact that there have been four seasons of criticism from both Leicester fans and those across the country as far as I can see they have done absolutely nothing but brush the criticism aside. There are one or two on here who have stated that they have given the promotion the benefit of the doubt and continued to attend but have just about had enough now. To me, that's an entirely reasonable point of view.

The thing is this : Why should people continue to pay every week when for 4 years their justifiable feedback has been basically ignored ?

The best thing is set up a group and get numbers signed up and present the information as a one body to the promotion.

That at least spells out in no uncertain terms just what fans expect.

Moaning and whinging on here is likely to achieve nothing.

The people who set up the Leicester project and build a superb venue for speedway should be applauded. Has anyone considered how much money it takes to make the changes necessary??

As so called `fan` experts perhaps they could advise the type of track/size/dimensions would make there viewing experience better?

The people who set up the Leicester project and build a superb venue for speedway should be applauded. Has anyone considered how much money it takes to make the changes necessary??

As so called `fan` experts perhaps they could advise the type of track/size/dimensions would make there viewing experience better?[/

Add up the money they are losing by fans walking away from BP compared to the money it would cost to fix the problem.

Also how can you applaud someone who had a clean sheet to work from and got the track shape so wrong?

By which point they are usually in front of the opposition courtesy of their gating skills. The word long doesn't need quotation marks - the straights at BP are actually longer than nearly every other track in the country. Yet the distance between the straights across the centre green is far shorter than most tracks. Hence we are saddled with ridiculously tight corners, the tightness exacerbated by the excessive length of the straights.

That's absolute crap,Morris has produced more passing moves at BP than every other rider combined since we opened.

Very well put 40-38. And sadly, whatever side of the 'pro' or 'con' fence you sit, this is at the core of the matter, and spoken from the heart by someone who obviously supported Leicester Speedway from the get-go. It's not moaning mate - it's telling it like you feel - and with no "agenda".

A hell of a lot of people have been to see speedway at BP since it opened, both local and from further afield, and they've no doubt all formed an opinion on what they've witnessed. They've either become fans, or as I suspect in the majority of cases, decided against coming back on a regular basis. That first season was always massively important in making an impression and ever since then it's been a case of trying to convince and persuade when the product should have done the talking for them. Speedway at it's best can and should be a great live spectacle - not something that causes heated arguments about whether it's worth it or not. The pro-people say "if you don't like it don't come". And indeed many have done precisely that. The unfortunate thing is there's a break-even point in any business model so the emphasis should be on making it a product people want to buy, not one they're invited to walk away from.

By the way, been reading this thread with interest, particularly as I didn't go on Sunday, but god only knows where this "civil war" nonsense comes from, other than in the fanciful delusions of mrcts. There never was any civil war about who runs Leicester. That's just silly. It's been DH's baby from the moment planning went in and as far as I'm aware, no-one else has ever wanted it as theirs. People have come and gone in terms of supporting him but there's never been any dispute or attempt to have any other name over the door. Really not sure what mrcts is going on about so perhaps he/she can enlighten us?

Do you really believe there was no power struggle...of course there was just ask Ken Naylor.

Good old Ken never misses an opportunity to have a pop at Hemsley hence his recent letter published in the speedway star.....no chip on the shoulder there Kenny,I also remember him trying to reinvent himself as a born again David Bellamy whilst having a dig at the surrounding area of the stadium......when I new Ken a few years ago he never once mentioned his love of fauna and flora!

The simple fact is that without Hemsley and his contacts at the city council you,Kenny and the other bunch of day dreamers would still be waiting for speedway to return to Leicester and given a choice between an average to poor track(which can and probably will be changed at some stage,so all is not lost there)or no speedway at all I know which I would choose.

It's not moaning 'mate'.

Edited by mrcts

That's absolute crap,Morris has produced more passing moves at BP than every other rider combined since we opened.

Very eloquent. I did say 'usually' about both Morris and Cook (who you conveniently ignored), but your point says it all about the abundance of thrilling racing at BP if the few passes Morris has produced makes up such a high proportion of the total!

Very eloquent. I did say 'usually' about both Morris and Cook (who you conveniently ignored), but your point says it all about the abundance of thrilling racing at BP if the few passes Morris has produced makes up such a high proportion of the total!

So what! it's true.

As so called `fan` experts perhaps they could advise the type of track/size/dimensions would make there viewing experience better?[/

Add up the money they are losing by fans walking away from BP compared to the money it would cost to fix the problem.

Also how can you applaud someone who had a clean sheet to work from and got the track shape so wrong?

Fair enough, best pull it down and walk away then eh. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

You are indeed correct in that the level of support is less than it was but attendances are still up there with the best.

• Like 1