British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
21st century heathen

Coventry Vs Cradley 21st March 2014 - Travel Plus Trophy

Okay so I'm a tad earlier than usual but I'm getting excited. :D

I've seen all the lads in practice now and with a view to this meeting I will certainly give the home riders an edge. Their top four as a unit will likely prove too strong for us, though I think our bottom three can match or outscore their counterparts overall. If we're to challenge on the night we will need one of the Storm heat leaders to misfire I believe. Based on what I've seen that may be Nielsen, but equally he could go through the card unbeaten.

I'm going for around 49-41 which will set up the second leg perfectly. Possible line-ups below.

Storm

Nielsen

Crang

O Greenwood

D Greenwood

Sarjeant

Knuckey

Terry-Daley

Heathens

Starke

Greaves

Perry

Clegg

Worrall

Williamson

Phillips

Nielsen had Ignition problems yesterday at P&P sure he'll be fine and ready to STORM to victory on Friday

This is an interesting meeting, involving 2 of the undoubted front runners for honours in 2014, Yes Cradley <aint it great to say that name again> are obviously not so strong as last year, but i expect to see improvement from all the riders except Starkie, how much remains to be seen, and will unravel as the season progresses, but i expect Stevie to confirm he is on a bargain average and will push Starkie for the No1 race jacket, Tom will be the great unknown, will he return to his previous Heathens form, and is his 2013 form just a blip ? or has he reached his level, time will tell and the Heathens season will depend a great deal on this. Max and Nathan Im expecting big things from Nathan this season, 2013 was his 1st season, and he did very well especially away from home Im expecting Nathan to push on and attain a 6/7 point average this year, even from the difficult No2 position, Max he did well in 2013 but this season will be a season of consolidation for him, i expect a small improvement from him, but nothing sensational, now down to the 2 reserves this is where i am expecting Cradley to have the biggest advantage over other Teams we seem to have 2 of the best prospects around, and they have the advantage of having at least a season under their belts, and by all accounts they both could push on to improve their averages considerably.

Coventry we have Nielsen and D. Greenwood replacing JJ and Branford, so on paper Nielsen for JJ is more or less like for like, maybe Nielsen is slightly better, D.Greenwood for Rob Branford this slightly weakens Storm but nonetheless not to a great extent.

Now to the Trophy meeting I expect the Heat leaders to cancel each other out, the 2nd strings i expect to see Nathan do well at Coventry, and Dan G to go well at both Tracks, its down at reserve where i expect to see Cradley out score Storm and therefore come out on top, and retain the Trophy for 2014.

Looking forward to doing some Storm matches this year. However I think they will be hard pushed to beat Cradley. I think the Heathens have the better reserve pairing and Storm are a little short in this department. It's really to do with potential in the reserve department that might decide this league and Cradley have it with both their riders IMO.

I do think we'll win on aggregate but I don't think we can underestimate the threat Cov pose on their own shale. You've got riders that have plenty of laps around there and I'm not sure how much experience Matt and Danny have there. Not a lot I suspect. Also, Max didn't get on well there at all last season. That's a potentially big hole in our middle order scoring, especially as his opposite number is Dan as he does go well around Brandon. Starkey was superb there generally last season so I expect him to be a constant threat to your heat leaders. Stevie will need to hit the ground running for us and Tom needs to make some half decent gates to get in the mix. I think Nath can match Luke.

Yes Confirmed by club, Paul Starke is away with Somerset for the weekend so Ashley Morris will be our guest at Brandon tomorrow!

I know Starke isnt really racing but with Paul and Steve in all three leagues, Perry, Clegg and Williamson in PL and NL i can see us using R/R and guests alot this season...which could be a torn in our season!

COVENTRY Storm have the honour of launching the 2014 speedway season at Brandon on Friday – with reigning National League Champions Cradley providing the opposition (7.30pm).
On a massive opening weekend of action the club stages the Elite Riders’ Championship on Sunday, but prior to that the City Gearboxes Storm go into action in the first leg of the Travel Plus Trophy.
It’s the second season of National League racing at Coventry and hopes are high that the Storm can go one step further than in 2013 and secure a top four finish for a place in the play-offs.
League points are not at stake on Friday but the competition should still be intense with the Heathens hotly tipped to mount a strong defence of their title.
Storm hand debuts to British Under-19 Champion Stefan Nielsen at No.1 and Dan Greenwood, ironically signed from Cradley over the winter, in the middle-order, whilst the remaining five riders led by skipper James Sarjeant are all back from last year’s squad.
The Heathens, who have reverted to their famous Cradley name after four years as Dudley, again have a powerful side with several potential No.1s. In the absence of skipper Paul Starke who has a prior commitment with Somerset, they call up their title-winning captain Ashley Morris as a guest.
Storm co-boss Blayne Scroggins said: “Cradley are essentially the unbeaten champions, they won everything they could win last year and I know Coventry v Cradley means a lot to the supporters, it was always the big rivalry.
“We want to prove we’re a match for them and I really hope the supporters turn out to see us again.
“We had some great support last year and obviously we want more people to come along and take a look at us. If you haven’t seen National League speedway before, come down and see it – you’ll be surprised!”
Admission prices for NL meetings are unchanged from last season – just £10 for all adults, with all children under 16 free.

CITY GEARBOXES STORM: Stefan Nielsen, Luke Crang, Oliver Greenwood, Dan Greenwood, James Sarjeant, Ryan Terry-Daley, Martin Knuckey.
CRADLEY: Ashley Morris, Nathan Greaves, Tom Perry, Max Clegg, Steve Worrall, Matt Williamson, Danny Phillips

Yes Confirmed by club, Paul Starke is away with Somerset for the weekend so Ashley Morris will be our guest at Brandon tomorrow!

I know Starke isnt really racing but with Paul and Steve in all three leagues, Perry, Clegg and Williamson in PL and NL i can see us using R/R and guests alot this season...which could be a torn in our season!

A very true post which is why I think your Management Team have not chosen wisely. Technically Ashley Morris cannot guest for you as he is ineligible for National League. Can only be permitted by agreement in challenge matches. If Starke is missing official fixtures who will guest?

A very true post which is why I think your Management Team have not chosen wisely. Technically Ashley Morris cannot guest for you as he is ineligible for National League. Can only be permitted by agreement in challenge matches. If Starke is missing official fixtures who will guest?

Any other NL rider thats available, Im thinking Starkie probably has the highest current NL average in the NL, so any available rider will be chosen, plus there is the possibility we may use RR for some home meetings.

Is there anyone going to this meeting who would be able to text updates to the Updates site? If so, could you please send me a private message including your mobile number (my phone reset itself 3 weeks ago and I lost a whole load of numbers!)

Thanks

Any other NL rider thats available, Im thinking Starkie probably has the highest current NL average in the NL, so any available rider will be chosen, plus there is the possibility we may use RR for some home meetings.

Im sure 21st will be there.