British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest GiveusaB

Grand Prix Or One Off World Final ?

Guest GiveusaB

Hi

I'm a new member, so please excuse if you've had this topic in the past? Just debating this on my local team's forum and I'm interested to know what other speedway fans think?

I prefer the Grand Prix.... going to Cardiff is the highlight of my year !

I would agree Grand Prix, although I think we're getting to the stage where it's at the limit of how many gp's per season. The one off final is a great crowd puller and riders would go out on full gas no holds bar, but I would think 90% of the time the best rider in the world that year wouldn't win it. Whereas the Grand Prix, most the time the best rider of the year will earn it over the course of the season.

No contest GP's for me. I can go to a world event in a world class stadium every year, whats not to like? Also much more likely getting the best rider that year being World Champ.

GPs for me but I think 6-8 would be plenty. There are too many now IMO, although perfectly understandable why.

I would agree Grand Prix, although I think we're getting to the stage where it's at the limit of how many gp's per season. The one off final is a great crowd puller and riders would go out on full gas no holds bar, but I would think 90% of the time the best rider in the world that year wouldn't win it. Whereas the Grand Prix, most the time the best rider of the year will earn it over the course of the season.

Hmm, agree with parts of this.

Definately the Grand Prix, although the one-off World Final had a special atmoshphere.

However, I don't agree with the riders 'going out on full gas, no holds barred' part. The problem with World Finals was that once 2 or 3 rides were done, most of the field were out of contention and weren't particularly interested.

Hi

I'm a new member, so please excuse if you've had this topic in the past? Just debating this on my local team's forum and I'm interested to know what other speedway fans think?

I prefer the Grand Prix.... going to Cardiff is the highlight of my year !

cardiff ia undoubtedlyexciting but imagine howmuch more excitingit would be ifthe worldchampionship was decided that night that's why us old timers preferredthe one off final theresnodoubt the gpsystem is fairer for the riders but nowhere near as excitingforthe fans

Hmm, agree with parts of this.

Definately the Grand Prix, although the one-off World Final had a special atmoshphere.

However, I don't agree with the riders 'going out on full gas, no holds barred' part. The problem with World Finals was that once 2 or 3 rides were done, most of the field were out of contention and weren't particularly interested.

tthatlaatprgrapph istrue but no different to a rider laying tenth or eleventh in the gps with three or for rounds to go

You would have thought the GP organisers would have noticed the massive success of the play off format, a season long qualifying competition followed by a bit of a cup contest, to have copied it by now.

A sell out for the final (at Cardiff?) would be much more likely and the cameras could show the queues outside and pan around the crowd inside to prove how successful the format is.

Who cares if crowds are down for the GP rounds or if the top rider is injured for the final? In fact crowds will probably increase as the format keeps it interesting for a lot more of the riders right up to the end of the qualifiers.

Let's face it the current format is rubbish as only a couple of riders are usually in contention for the last few meetings.

Burp

under theoldone off system it took nearlythe wholeseasom to qualify for th final which is why it was held towards the end of the season and riders had to qualify each year noneof thisok youdidalright last year so you can have another gothis year or your country hasn't gotenough good riders toqualify so you're going in it that we get today.

Edited by Cockney Rebel

Proper qualifiers for all riders then about 6 GPS for me!

100% GP

12 is the right number.

Yep I agree with you Marky.

I like the Grand Prix format as such although it as well as the qualification process needs some tweaking:

Fewer automatically qualified riders.

Fewer permanent wild cards (2 permanent wild cards per season to use for injured riders like the situation with Chris Holder).

Two wild cards for each grand prix, one local rider and one non-local rider.

6 GPs are way to few for a proper series. Imo it should be minimum 10 Grand Prixs per season.

Edited by Ghostwalker

Current format is fine, few things need updating and some better venues. old world final was good in its day but not now.