British Speedway Forum
Tsunami

Newcastle Diamonds V Somerset Rebels - Sun 6th April, 2014. Premiership

I know I'm going to get a lot of hate from this post but I think there is changes to be made already.

Not only do I think we need someone better at number 1 (not saying get rid Of Lindgren just someone with a higher average)

I think we need to sort or reserves out so at least one of them is scoring much higher than their average most meetings

On a positive note though I think that Robbo and Rosen both done extremely well today and Henry had glimpses of coming back to his best :)

• Like 1

Thoroughly deserved win for the Rebels. A bit of bad luck for the Diamonds with Kerr and Rosen suffering major engine problems and having Lindgren at #1. The consistency required of a #1 is just not in his make up.

Lingren and shramm were really poor tonight for a man of his experience shramm should not be falling off as much and its not a case of if but when. Lingren is not a no1 and judging by his past three performances unless he ups his game we are really going to struggle this year. Don't know if it's me but I havnt been for a while and coming back it seems a bit flat there's no buzz about the place no excitement no one to get u on the edge of your seat

I was roundly criticised during the winter for stating that there is no way that Ludvig Lindgren is a Number One. I have not changed my opinion. He lacks consistency, and you need that in a Number One. At present there is only one Rider capable of doing a Number One's job at Newcastle - and that is Stuart Robson. He was imperious tonight apart from one Race.

I am afraid I would also criticise Schramm. He too lacks consistency and falls off far too often for someone who has been riding Speedway for such a long time.

Other than that - a bad day at the Office - it happens.

Well done to Somerset on their well deserved victory.

• Like 1

I think both HadrianDog and Robbie are both correct, and that the evening was very flat. Parade didn't work, and i hope is not repeated, but the start with heat 2 and a 1-5 to the Rebels killed that atmosphere. Here was a team needing to get a good start to try and pull the deficit back and our reserves get 1-5'd, especially from a former Diamond reserve who didn't show that form when with us. Heat 4, with another 1-5, confirmed the defeat and the loss of the Shield. End of the show for most people with heat 6 another 1-5.

I was roundly criticised during the winter for stating that there is no way that Ludvig Lindgren is a Number One. I have not changed my opinion. He lacks consistency, and you need that in a Number One. At present there is only one Rider capable of doing a Number One's job at Newcastle - and that is Stuart Robson. He was imperious tonight apart from one Race.

I am afraid I would also criticise Schramm. He too lacks consistency and falls off far too often for someone who has been riding Speedway for such a long time.

Other than that - a bad day at the Office - it happens.

Well done to Somerset on their well deserved victory.

There is no argument about LL being a number 1. He IS the top points average rider so factually has to be the number 1 regardless of opinion. When the new averages come out, after Anton gets in his final away ride, HE will be number 1 and again HE will be inconsistent as he rides some tracks for the first time.

I think both HadrianDog and Robbie are both correct, and that the evening was very flat. Parade didn't work, and i hope is not repeated, but the start with heat 2 and a 1-5 to the Rebels killed that atmosphere. Here was a team needing to get a good start to try and pull the deficit back and our reserves get 1-5'd, especially from a former Diamond reserve who didn't show that form when with us. Heat 4, with another 1-5, confirmed the defeat and the loss of the Shield. End of the show for most people with heat 6 another 1-5.

Agreed.

Wouldn't it be great though if the Riders acknowledged the applause from the crowd a bit more. I watched today as the Riders plodded towards their Bikes and most of them never even looked in the crowds direction. I'm sure if they gave a proper wave and showed some enthusiasm towards the crowd the atmosphere within the Stadium would improve.

There is no argument about LL being a number 1. He IS the top points average rider so factually has to be the number 1 regardless of opinion. When the new averages come out, after Anton gets in his final away ride, HE will be number 1 and again HE will be inconsistent as he rides some tracks for the first time.

His average may make him Number One - his current scoring rate over the last few Meetings would probably make him a second string at best. Averages are about History - what a Rider has scored in the past. It makes no account of current form and on current form Ludvig Lindgren is NOT a Number One in any way, shape or form. I have maintained this point of view since last Season - and - I am still of the same opinion.

Agreed.

Wouldn't it be great though if the Riders acknowledged the applause from the crowd a bit more. I watched today as the Riders plodded towards their Bikes and most of them never even looked in the crowds direction. I'm sure if they gave a proper wave and showed some enthusiasm towards the crowd the atmosphere within the Stadium would improve.

His average may make him Number One - his current scoring rate over the last few Meetings would probably make him a second string at best. Averages are about History - what a Rider has scored in the past. It makes no account of current form and on current form Ludvig Lindgren is NOT a Number One in any way, shape or form. I have maintained this point of view since last Season - and - I am still of the same opinion.

Could not agree more with WhiteDog re. the lack of response to the crowd. Hated the new parade, it truly sucked. What this team needs is a Kozza Smith- anyone who saw his repartee with the Berwick fans would surely agree. Was there for a double bow by the then unnamed Turnip Twins and it was a hoot, more such needed to encourage the fans to support characters. I for one think that the 'Rant' is a hoot and a breath of fresh air, even if some of of the fossils I stand with disagree.

Apologies White Knight for the misnomer. Drowning sorrows and the like clouded the brain.

Lingren and shramm were really poor tonight for a man of his experience shramm should not be falling off as much and its not a case of if but when.

Schramm has been falling off all his career, he's not going to stop now! Bet he's locking up and and causing mayhem too!

Schramm has been falling off all his career, he's not going to stop now! Bet he's locking up and and causing mayhem too!

Just tries too hard so can not lack his commitment just his judgement at times. Prefer him to a rider who just 'goes through the motions' and actually tries.

Agreed.

Now there's a surprise. Glad you agree though the the one with the highest average IS the Number 1. That'll be Ludde.

Agreed.

How else are you supposed to do them? :P

Could not agree more with WhiteDog re. the lack of response to the crowd. Hated the new parade, it truly sucked. What this team needs is a Kozza Smith- anyone who saw his repartee with the Berwick fans would surely agree. Was there for a double bow by the then unnamed Turnip Twins and it was a hoot, more such needed to encourage the fans to support characters. I for one think that the 'Rant' is a hoot and a breath of fresh air, even if some of of the fossils I stand with disagree.

Apologies White Knight for the misnomer. Drowning sorrows and the like clouded the brain.

Too many riders do not interact with fans, but it is down to the promotions to tell them it is part of riding for their club

How else are you supposed to do them? :P

I was just stating that Lindgren is not a Number One. Granted his current average may put him in that position, but currently he is not riding well enough to justify either his position in the Team OR his Average.

I don't think I have said anything that isn't true.

I was just stating that Lindgren is not a Number One. Granted his current average may put him in that position, but currently he is not riding well enough to justify either his position in the Team OR his Average.

I don't think I have said anything that isn't true.

Currently (i.e this season so far) Ludde is averaging 7.00. Christian is averaging 6.15.

Would you get rid of Christian,as you, seemingly, would get rid of Ludde??

Currently (i.e this season so far) Ludde is averaging 7.00. Christian is averaging 6.15.

Would you get rid of Christian,as you, seemingly, would get rid of Ludde??

I wouldn't get rid of either of them. (Did I say I wanted rid of him - I don't think so). I will try to put my point as simply as I can. I was was saying that Lindgren is NOT riding like a Number One - in my opinion.

Unless you are telling me that the 'Three paid Four' that he got last night, AT HOME, was a Number One performance - then I am right as far as I am concerned. He did not do well at Somerset OR Sheffield either.

I do NOT expect him to win ALL his Races - but as a Number One - I expect him to do a hell of a lot better than he is at the moment.

I hope that clarifies things The Abbott.

Edited by The White Knight

I wouldn't get rid of either of them. (Did I say I wanted rid of him - I don't think so). I will try to put my point as simply as I can. I was was saying that Lindgren is NOT riding like a Number One - in my opinion.

Unless you are telling me that the 'Three paid Four' that he got last night, AT HOME, was a Number One performance - then I am right as far as I am concerned. He did not do well at Somerset OR Sheffield either.

I do NOT expect him to win ALL his Races - but as a Number One - I expect him to do a hell of a lot better than he is at the moment.

I hope that clarifies things The Abbott.

When you said he "isn't riding well enough to justify his place in the team," I thought you meant the 1-7, rather than the No. 1. I apologise for mis-interpretting that!

The way the side has been put together this season, you aren't (at least to begin with) going to have the "out and out" number one that you require.

I think, and it's only my opinion, they are expecting Anton to be the Number 1 we/you are hoping for, therefore it's a small sacrifice of having Ludde at number 1 for the first few weeks of the season.

When you said he "isn't riding well enough to justify his place in the team," I thought you meant the 1-7, rather than the No. 1. I apologise for mis-interpretting that!

The way the side has been put together this season, you aren't (at least to begin with) going to have the "out and out" number one that you require.

I think, and it's only my opinion, they are expecting Anton to be the Number 1 we/you are hoping for, therefore it's a small sacrifice of having Ludde at number 1 for the first few weeks of the season.

I don't think it will make much, if any difference if Anton rides at number 1. He will find it just as difficult and is similarly inconsistent - although to be fair he has far less experience.

The bottom line is we don't have a number 1. We didn't really have a powerful number 1 last season either bit we did have Richie, who with his consistently fast starts was more capable of challenging and beating opposition heat leaders. We also had a high scoring reserve. My problem with this side is that, yes we lack top end power but we don't have the powerful reserve to compensate for that like we did last year which is why I think we might struggle.

Early days of course but I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with a change or two at some stage although not yet, I'm sure the riders will be given time and support to find some form. We did build this side 1.5 points under the limit though.