British Speedway Forum

My esteem for, and our goodwill toward, Ivan Mauger is immense.

I understand completely that his family wish for privacy and we should respect that.

But it was also quite moving to hear Barry Briggs' update (albeit in German translation), and perhaps unauthorised (?).

I think the future is going to be extremely difficult for those close to Ivan.

And for those of us with a much more distant 'connection' to the man we will have to accept that we will not have any priority for information.

But I think this is one subject that we can all agree on wholeheartedly.

No one here has any intent to pry or to upset anyone.

No matter what, we all wish the great man and his family the very best of wishes.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 5

Yes I agree, don`t think there was any need for Risings reply just because he knows all about it he thinks nobody else should, WestGorton1884 was asking in a polite and proper manner

THAT'S not what I meant at all but I'm sorry if that's the way it came across.

• Like 2

THINK we should respect the privacy of Ivan's family at this very difficult and sad time for them at their home in Queensland, Australia

Maybe, but you can't help fans wondering and caring about one of their heroes!

• Like 6

I understand completely that his family wish for privacy and we should respect that.

But it was also quite moving to hear Barry Briggs' update (albeit in German translation), and perhaps unauthorised (?).

And for those of us with a much more distant 'connection' to the man we will have to accept that we will not have any priority for information.

No matter what, we all wish the great man and his family the very best of wishes.

spot on grand central

Yes I agree, don`t think there was any need for Risings reply just because he knows all about it he thinks nobody else should, WestGorton1884 was asking in a polite and proper manner

Thank you

Edited by WestGorton1884

Just goes to show that believe it or not there are some decent, respectful fans out there. Fans who care deeply about this sport and those involved in it.

• Like 4

My Grandma is in the early stages of this horrible disease, it is utterly terrible to watch this despicacle affliction erase those that we love.

Ssadly I fear it is time to remember Ivan for the great speedway rider he was as sadly he wil never be the same person again.

But my god what an amazing speedway rider he was, no one before or after will ever change the approach to speedway racing that he did.

Regards,

Martin

• Like 1

Well said Martin. I can't recall ever seeing the great man ride although it is quite possible I did when I was too young to remember. Would like to read other peoples' memories of this speedway legend on this thread though.

The trouble is, we all get locked into our own little memory bubble and we forget that past icons get older, as we do. We still remember Ivan as a dashing Speedway rider, gracing the tracks of yesteryear. Sadly, Ivan is only human like the rest of us and as we will, has succumbed to one of the health issues, which are challenging. The man is in his mid seventies, has enjoyed a long and very successful career in a very dangerous sport and finished his career without suffering too much injury along the way. Some of his contemporaries lost their lives or ended up with life changing injuries. Ivan survived all that. Along with his family, he now has a new challenge. Whatever the outcome, the man had a great career as a rider and no one can take that away. I bet Ivan and his family have no regrets.

• Like 7

In 50 years of watching this wonderful sport, Ivan gave me my most memorable occasion - the 1970 World Final victory in Wroclaw which I was fortunate enough to attend

His title win with so much stacked against him in the then far off land of Poland was immense and the memory of that meeting will stay with me for ever

Thanks, Ivan - with every good wish to you and your family at this even more difficult time

Best wishes to Ivan and his family, a few years ago when he attended the BV meeting at Gorton Monastary it appeared he was starting to suffer with this condition. The man is a legend, his professionalism and consistency was absolute top drawer. Today sports people make a big thing of the importance of psycology in attaining their goals, Ivan recognised this many many years ago and had many opponents beaten in the pits before a wheel was turned. Very shrewd and a fantastic influence to all those around him as his record with his various teams show. The early seventies BV team was a powerhouse unit and that was in no small part to Ivan Maugers influence, it was a privilege to have seen him in his prime.

• Like 5

It was only Saturday, as I watched the NZ GP, that I thought how fitting it would have been for Ivan to present the trophy. I was aware that he had stepped back from public life but I had no idea what he has been suffering from. Very sad to hear that.

As a Cradley fan I've had the privilege to watch and to some extent be involved with five great World Champions but Ivan will always stand out to me as the greatest rider of all time. He took professionalism to a new standard and set the mark for all of the greats who have followed him. I always remember one quote "If you get everything else right, riding the bike is the easy bit" and that is a philosophy I've always tries to take with me in my own career - not that that involves racing bikes!

My best moment was seeing him mess a start up at Wolverhampton and stare up at the Ref for at least 10 seconds by which time Tom Leadbitter and the rest were going into turn 3. Needless to say he got going and passed the lot.

My thoughts are with him.

• Like 3

I have many memories of Ivan , but none are better than my father taking me to Hyde Road to my first speedway meeting in 1970 , to watch the 'famous Belle Vue Aces'

the smell , the noise , the ace of clubs race jacket i had bought me ,

the riders ....Soren , Wilkie , Chris Pusey , etc ,but none better than the great Ivan Mauger, with his trademark checkered helmet and a riding style that just oozed class ,.

thanks for the memories Ivan , the greatest speedway rider ever !

• Like 3

I remember one Thursday tea time Mauger was on his way to Owlerton and in those days he had a trailer with two machines on, and as he took a right hand acute bend his bikes were spilled onto the road don`t remember if the trailer overturned or they just came adrift from the trailer . I didn`t see it personally but a friend who lived on the corner told me about the incident. I think he was an ACE at that time Mauger that is.

Edited by dornier