British Speedway Forum

forgive me if theres already a post relating to this ,but im just wondering if anybody had heard any news on the health of Ivan Mauger ?

(in my eyes the greatest Speedway rider ever !! )

but since reading he had retired from public life due to ill health ( alzheimers i believe ) ive not read any updates on his condition anywhere ?

• Like 2

THINK we should respect the privacy of Ivan's family at this very difficult and sad time for them at their home in Queensland, Australia

• Like 6

Fair enough , didn't mean to pry,

just trying to find any info on his condition , he was my childhood hero

Edited by WestGorton1884
  • Like 2

There is an item of news about Ivan today in the german speedway press if you want to look at "speedweek"

• Like 1

There is an item of news about Ivan today in the german speedway press if you want to look at "speedweek"

Thanks iris

Mistake posted!

Edited by Ommer UM Speedway Blog

Thanks a lot for that, appreciated.

Thanks Iris, sad news indeed

My Mum had this awful disease i wish the Mauger Family the very best of luck, far from easy for close relatives to deal with

• Like 1

I am sure it was obvious to most people you were not prying and Philip Rising's curt reply to your question was unnecessary - if you wish to know more and are a member of Facebook (a Social Network website read worldwide - hardly private Philip) there are a group of like-minded speedway fans (Speedway Friends is the page name) similar to yourself WestGorton who have been discussing this in a sympathetic, concerned and respectful manner. If you cannot find it or wish to know how to please feel free to PM me.

Ivan's speedway career was glorious and I see nothing wrong in those of us that used to watch in awe when he raced expressing our concern and sympathy, wishing him well or asking about his welfare at this stage in his life.

In addition 'Hull Vikings' and 'Ivan Mauger' regularly put photos of Ivan and stories out on Facebook to remind us of the memory of this great man. I understand 'Hull Vikings" is a big fan and wants to keep Hull Speedway in the limelight, But in the case of 'Ivan Mauger' perhaps it is a case of his family regularly putting his photos on to help him relive the memories, and we get to look at the photos once again.

I agree discussion of Ivan's condition would not be suitable for everyday reading, but it's great that we can all share and look at what he gave us for all this years.

6 times World Champ, and changed the status of riders for ever with his personal application. What a champ.

• Like 3

SORRY if I came across as curt ... wasn't intended. Proud to have been a mate of Ivan's for donkey's years and witnessed all his speedway World Championship wins.

Fortunately he has a large family including his wife Sarah, three children and numerous grandchildren around him but how tough must it be on them.

• Like 5

SORRY if I came across as curt ... wasn't intended. Proud to have been a mate of Ivan's for donkey's years and witnessed all his speedway World Championship wins.

Fortunately he has a large family including his wife Sarah, three children and numerous grandchildren around him but how tough must it be on them.

I didn't realise that Raye's name was actually Sarah! You learn something new every day! :approve:

Best wishes to Ivan and his family.

Edited by The Abbott
  • Like 1

I am sure it was obvious to most people you were not prying and Philip Rising's curt reply to your question was unnecessary - if you wish to know more and are a member of Facebook (a Social Network website read worldwide - hardly private Philip) there are a group of like-minded speedway fans (Speedway Friends is the page name) similar to yourself WestGorton who have been discussing this in a sympathetic, concerned and respectful manner. If you cannot find it or wish to know how to please feel free to PM me.

Ivan's speedway career was glorious and I see nothing wrong in those of us that used to watch in awe when he raced expressing our concern and sympathy, wishing him well or asking about his welfare at this stage in his life.

Thank you maneacat , i thought the first reply was a tad uncalled for , im not a member of the paparazzi for gods sake !!! , i simply thought the easiest way to get any information on the wellbeing of one of speedways all time greats was via a british speedway forum .

i am a member of Facebook and will definitely look at the page you recommended , Ivan Mauger was my hero at Belle Vue , id only been going a couple of years when he was 'forced' into a move to Exeter , i was distraught .

every time he returned to Hyde Road with the Falcons he always seemed to get a mixed reception ? , (not from me, i may add ). Ivan rode for other teams but to me he'll always be a Belle Vue Ace !

Thanks once again maneacat

Edited by WestGorton1884
  • Like 3

Yes I agree, don`t think there was any need for Risings reply just because he knows all about it he thinks nobody else should, WestGorton1884 was asking in a polite and proper manner

Edited by dornier
  • Like 3