British Speedway Forum
TMW

Leicester V Lakeside 12 Apr

I have heard from 2 people today that the lad couldn't lift his arm up and that's why the paramedic said No however if this IS the case what was the lakeside management doing allowing him onto the track to risk danger to other riders,track staff & spectators if is mobility was that bad?

I think there needs to be official clarification on what went on.

Glad both riders were ok as it was a nasty crash.

If you heard that then the two people were wrong

• Like 2

Its not a knowledge of the regulations that's important , its a knowledge of what riding a speedway bike involves. For example if a builder breaks his leg he probably can't do his job, but if a clerical worker breaks his leg he probably can do his job. The issue therefore is whether the doctor properly understood what the sport involved, and on this occasion he appears to have been inexperienced in that area.

The point has already been made on this thread that riders have in the past ridden with far more serious injuries than a sore shoulder. Not only ridden, but in some cases won World Championships like it. The medic has to use a bit of common sense. If he has no knowledge and no experience of speedway then he is not really in a position to make a balanced judgment.

I can see your point there, I was reponding to TVOR's statement about regulations. I think we've all seen nasty crashes with riders carrying on to the end of the meeting.

Can we then say that this is about erring on the side of caution combined with a lack of knowledge of the sport (if that's the case)? Is this the only time where a rider has wanted to ride but has been overruled by the medic? If it has it happened in the past, was there a subsequent appeal and if so, what was the outcome? If this is a first then it will be interesting to see who gets the final say as to who rides and who doesn't, as jim3751 says.

If there is to be an appeal lets wait and see what the investigation unearths then analyse the outcome. Wouldnt that be better?

If you heard that then the two people were wrong

Pretty sure.. It's are wrong.

There's a reason why the London School of Economics are chasing me up.

Edited by KingKennyBjerre

It's very difficult to argue against the common sense view that the paramedic knows best. But I don't think John Cook really wants the points at all. What he will get from the appeal is a judgement that says who has the final word on whether a rider is fit to ride. If a doctor or paramedic gives advice not to ride will a rider be able to ignore it and take the risk?

If medics can take these decisions on safety grounds with no input from the rider there'll be be no more Tai, Bomber, Emil.or Nicki heroics. Teams will be depleated on the night and may have to adapt by keeping extra riders.on standby. Is that expense speedway can afford?

Its been said that the medic made the decision without any knowledge of speedway; then surely you can turn that around and the rider/lakeside management felt he was fit to ride without medical knowledge!!

• Like 2

I was not there so i dont have much to go on but i will say this and that is if Adam felt he was ok to complete four laps (didnt need to win the race, just pick up the point) then he should have been allowed to do so, chances are he would have then pulled out of the meeting anyway if what the medic says was true.

Any rider can poodle around at the back not being a danger to anyone, the only time i would make an exception to this is with a head injury because then you could have concussions and everything which would not be safe but for a arm that is hurt then all you need do is hang on and ride around quick enough not to be lapped but not so quick you cant control the machine, we see this sometimes with non injured riders nursing a very sick bike home for a couple of laps.

Yes it comes down to being robbed of the chance to race for a single point which as it happend would have given Hammers a league point on the night but that was not known at that stage.

So does it boil down to sour grapes? well in a way yes, much like people moan when a ref in football refuses to give a blatent penalty! everyone feels there has been an injustice done and that is what we have here, firstly the notion that Morley should not have been excluded and second that the other rider who should have been excluded but wasnt was not allowed to take part in the re-run, effectively Lakeside was punished twice.

• Like 1

Adam was ok to continue. It wasn't a question of just holding in for the point. He was there to race, it's his job. It's how he earns his living.

Adam was ok to continue.

How do you know he was, it amazes me how so many people have the inside, undisputable knowledge that normal fans are not privy to. Perhaps your uncles, sisters, brothers, aunty told you. I know, it was that bloke in the burger van ......he knows everything.

Edited by nightshift
  • Like 1

It is not a matter that if the Medic had no knowladge of speedway. I am sure as a medic he would have had enough knowladge of injuries from the work he undertakes on a daily or weekly basis. This is just saying that we have no faith at all in the medics that come to our speedway stadiums week in week out. Looking after the riders when they are injured

How do you know he was, it amazes me how so many people have the inside, undisputable knowledge that normal fans are not privy to. Perhaps your uncles, sisters, brothers, aunty told you.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: That's made my day...

• Like 4

How do you know he was, it amazes me how so many people have the inside, undisputable knowledge that normal fans are not privy to. Perhaps your uncles, sisters, brothers, aunty told you. I know, it was that bloke in the burger van ......he knows everything

And how do you know he's not a member of the promoting team, manager, a rider or was in the pits that night? Quite a few promoters and riders are on here but try to keep their identity under wraps, which they are fully entitled to do.

Edited by Gemini

How do you know he was, it amazes me how so many people have the inside, undisputable knowledge that normal fans are not privy to. Perhaps your uncles, sisters, brothers, aunty told you. I know, it was that bloke in the burger van ......he knows everything.

He's his father

He's his father

Are you supposed to be 'outing' people on here? :unsure: At least I was trying to be diplomatic.

Edited by Gemini

Are you supposed to be 'outing' people on here? :unsure:

It's no secret Gem, Johnny is out and proud of young Adam.. :t:

• Like 1

It's no secret Gem, Johnny is out and proud of young Adam.. :t:

And I wouldn't have said anything if it was different