British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
screm

Gp Qualifier Sat June 7th @ Berwick

Places are allocated to nations, with the recognised speedway countries getting most places. FIM have no say in who the riders are, or at which round they race.

Most will decide on which of the country's riders has the best chance of getting to the GP, and name these guys, although some (Denmark and Australia, certainly) offer the places to riders who have done best in their domestic process.

Britain this season has four places, Ritchie Worrall and Danny King are at the rounds at Ljubliana and Abensberg, while Chris Harris and Ben Barker were to be at St Johann but now find themselves switched to Berwick. Unlikely that either will argue!

Of the other leading British riders, Tai will be hoping to maintain his GP status without having to go through the GP Challenge, and Scott Nicholls has presumably declined nomination.

Australia's champion is Chris Holder, who like Tai will aim to maintain GP status, and the next four finishers in the 2014 Aussie Title meetings are Jason Doyle, Josh Grajczonek, Rohan Tungate and Justin Sedgmen. If Australia has more than four nominations, Cameron Woodward and Mason Campton are next in line.

I wouldn't be too quick to assume anything - given the treatment he's had from the BSPA over the last couple of years I think it more likely he wasn't asked.

Scott quit international speedway last year.

Scott quit international speedway last year.

When I asked him he said he didn't - where/when did he say this? He was banned from competing in the Euro Champs by the BSPA (which would have affected his British club and which Andersen did) but still did the GP qualifiers last year. Then he was not asked by the BSPA to fill in at Poole for the challenge (neither were most of the other 20+ riders next in line). He wants the BSPA to be more supportive of British riders and experience abroad comes into that as well. He has only said he'll not do the World Cup as they need to give other riders a go, not that he has 'quit international speedway'. He wasn't asked to compete in the ben fund this year - which he would have done if asked.

Edited by SPEEDY69
  • Like 1

When I asked him he said he didn't - where/when did he say this? He was banned from competing in the Euro Champs by the BSPA (which would have affected his British club and which Andersen did) but still did the GP qualifiers last year. Then he was not asked by the BSPA to fill in at Poole for the challenge (neither were most of the other 20+ riders next in line). He wants the BSPA to be more supportive of British riders and experience abroad comes into that as well. He has only said he'll not do the World Cup as they need to give other riders a go, not that he has 'quit international speedway'. He wasn't asked to compete in the ben fund this year - which he would have done if asked.

I suspect Scott Nicholls grew more and more frustrated with the preferential treatment afforded to one rider, culminating in the guarantee of a British GP wild card for Harris last year, when previously this wild card was decided by the highest place non GP rider in the British Final. The fact they have reverted back to the old way of doing things now Harris is in the GP series full time, only adds to the suspicion that the organisers give Bomber an easy ride.

JT.

Edited by JT

The form Nicholls has started the season in you wonder if he would fancy at least having a crack at getting back into the GPs.

• Like 1

They are nominated places so I don't think he was asked.

They are nominated places, but chosen by Alun Rossiter, not the BSPA. He tells them who he wants nominated, as did Middlo in past seasons.

They are nominated places so I don't think he was asked.

Then IMO Nicholls should at least be asked.

Then IMO Nicholls should at least be asked.

I think Rosco wanted to give the youngsters the opportunity, and Harris of course.

be great if Scott rode for GB in the SWC

he is ouf best in form rider

I think Rosco wanted to give the youngsters the opportunity, and Harris of course.

Giving the younger riders a go I understand, though by now you would think Rossiter would have known Danny King was never going to get to any GP series anytime soon but he has still been given one of the places.

• Like 1

Giving the younger riders a go I understand, though by now you would think Rossiter would have known Danny King was never going to get to any GP series anytime soon but he has still been given one of the places.

That's the trouble with nominations - it shows who your favourites are! Base it on the british final result from previous season or el average, then no-one would complain of favouritism, as long as we all understand harris is a mandatory pick!!

That's the trouble with nominations - it shows who your favourites are! Base it on the british final result from previous season or el average, then no-one would complain of favouritism, as long as we all understand harris is a mandatory pick!!

IMO it should be based on who has the best chance of getting a GB rider into next years GP series, right now given the form of all the GB riders Nicholls deserves that chance, should he want to of course.

So no Craig Cook as one of GB nominees? King, Barker, Harris and Worrall - and Rosco made the choice?? did Cook drop out? seems very strange if he didn't, all the same old faces bar one

So no Craig Cook as one of GB nominees? King, Barker, Harris and Worrall - and Rosco made the choice?? did Cook drop out? seems very strange if he didn't, all the same old faces bar one

Cook has been named as one of the riders in the Berwick round along with Harris.