British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
screm

Gp Qualifier Sat June 7th @ Berwick

Certainly last night not being pulled at an earlier point was entirely an FIM decision.

As for the re-staging? Well they know the situation with Berwick's planning, so how can anyone put the blame on Berwick?

The FIM should be clear about that, and should have known exactly when they were able to re-stage.

I think they got their knickers in a twist last night.

As for Dick saying all the riders want to ride, maybe that is what he was told?

I very much doubt anyone focused on the event were anywhere near their twitter account.

Hans Anderson is very much a has-been, his lack of professional focus undoubtedly a contributing factor...

My advice to all UK tracks would be to avoid any involvement with the FIM. They bulldoze in, take over everything, including the riders' lives, but they do not actually organise things properly.

It was absolutely clear that the restaging dates had not been properly discussed, that could be the fault of both the FIM and Berwick.

But much worse than that, the FIM were not at all interested in the people sitting in the stadium and the car park. That is their fault but it also damages Berwick speedway.

• Like 3

Why knock hans? Still one of the best riders in that field. Why shouldn't he express his thoughts?

• Like 5

Yes let`s blame the FIM not Berwick-no way were the Berwick regs "inherited" from Austria-don`t see any Austrian officals or hotels crossed out !!!

this is purely down to Berwick and or the ACU/BSPA for not organising it properly.

Can you expand on this post? It seems like someone just taking a bit of a hissy fit rather than there being any substance or fact.

• Like 1

Not sure it was feasible to pull the meeting forward, it was advertised to start at 7pm for weeks.

I think you'll find Steve Park was saying "pull the meeting" (ie call it off) rather than "pull the meeting forward" (ie start it earlier)

• Like 1

We had been in Berwick all afternoon arrived at car park just before 5 people were already at the turnstiles no one was getting in waited till approx 5.45 so it was apparent then the meeting was in doubt took the decision to go home in local boozer for 7.30 result

• Like 1

Aye, there's the rub. Berwick inherited the meeting (and the Supplementary Regs) from the Austrian place, and FIM didn't notice, and remove, the Sunday date.The riders who were hoping to ride in the SEC qualifier at Monday must all now be at Berwick. Although the ones with meetings in Poland tomorrow will be there, as will Craig Cook and Matej Kus be at Newcastle, and a few others at Glasgow.

Buck passing IMO .the F.I.M. Regs were printed on this forum last week it was there in black and White but no one took any notice.What were the riders told when this meeting was switched,Bad day for Speedway .F.I.M must take the blame for not cancelling at Advertise start time.
  • Like 1

Think you will find a fair few of the riders from last night were already committed to riding in the European Challenge meting in Debrecen Hungary today.

• Like 1

Berwick’s weather woes continued on Saturday when the FIM organised Grand Prix Qualifier at Shielfield fell foul of the elements.

The meeting has now been re-arranged for Monday (June 9) with a 7.30pm start time, when they will be hoping for better conditions.

The Bandits have so far lost ten meetings to rain this summer, and they always knew that the weather was closing in as they prepared for their big night.

But when the lunchtime practice was staged in glorious sunshine, with the track even being dampened down after the riders threw up dust clouds, there were hopes that the forecasters might have got it wrong.

But rain started falling throughout the afternoon. Covers were placed over the bends in an attempt to protect the surface, but by the scheduled 7pm start time it was obvious luck was not on their side.

As the rain continued to fall the riders held a meeting when they agreed they would like to see racing continue, and at 8.20pm the covers were removed.

But with no let-up in the conditions and fans becoming increasingly frustrated at the situation, the decision was taken that the meeting would be postponed and the crowd were informed of the decision at 8.40pm.

This was the second time in three years Berwick had been asked to stage an FIM Grand Prix Qualifier, and unfortunately, it was the second time it was hit by the weather.

“Two years ago, after some tremendous work by the track staff, we finally managed to get the meeting on,” said Berwick promoter John Anderson.

“But on this occasion we weren’t so fortunate. The riders wanted to give it a go because some of them knew it would be difficult and inconvenient for them to come back for any re-staging, but at the end of the day there was simply no alternative.

“The weather just wasn’t on our side and in the end, despite some sterling work by the track staff again, we had to admit defeat.

“I hope the fans appreciate the situation we found ourselves in and hopefully a lot of them will be able to come back for the re-staging on Monday.”

In an unusual situation, Berwick will be racing the same evening, away to Glasgow in a League Cup clash - but without Matej Kus, who is included in the Shielfield line-up.

Taken from Berwick Advertiser on-line.

Why knock hans? Still one of the best riders in that field. Why shouldn't he express his thoughts?

I applaud Hans Anderson for putting his thoughts on social media.

Not sure it was feasible to pull the meeting forward, it was advertised to start at 7pm for weeks.

Agree with you about the comments from the centre green, if Mr Barrie cares to take himself onto social media, something he claims he doesn't do, then he will see the riders were far from happy. One claiming they were being held hostage by FIM. If they were so keen to get out there it might've been an idea to bite the bullet and go for it whatever the track conditions were, IMO the track was no worse or better at 9pm than it was at 7pm, though it was clear for all to see that any speedway was unlikely.

I thought the information handed out by FIM was shocking, it seems they were unable to make a decision, I think the vast majority of us knew there was very little chance of racing, and that's what we all wanted, racing, it was next to pointless putting riders out just to poodle round. Though Mr Barrie did himself few favours to tell us the rain had all but stopped when it clearly hadn't.

I think you'll find Steve Park was saying "pull the meeting" (ie call it off) rather than "pull the meeting forward" (ie start it earlier)

Midland Red is correct, I did mean postpone the meeting. I perhaps should have made that clearer.

Think you will find a fair few of the riders from last night were already committed to riding in the European Challenge meting in Debrecen Hungary today.

This meeting is scheduled to take place tomorrow.

Think you will find it is Monday for that meeting(although there seems to be conflicting reports when it is)

Certainly last night not being pulled at an earlier point was entirely an FIM decision.

As for the re-staging? Well they know the situation with Berwick's planning, so how can anyone put the blame on Berwick?

The FIM should be clear about that, and should have known exactly when they were able to re-stage.

I think they got their knickers in a twist last night.

As for Dick saying all the riders want to ride, maybe that is what he was told?

I very much doubt anyone focused on the event were anywhere near their twitter account.

Hans Anderson is very much a has-been, his lack of professional focus undoubtedly a contributing factor...

Cook, Anderson, Harris, Bridger, Bjerre all tweeted about last nights meeting, all lacking professional focus.

While there is no doubt that Berwick Speedway were/are at the mercy of the FIM, they, in taken this meeting on they are part of this. I`m sure had the meeting been raced and been a success they would've been looking at their share of the praise, and quite rightly so. So they need to take the share of the responsibilities of the events from last night.

Taken another FIM meeting in the future might be taken on more trouble than its worth.

I would have like Lewis Bridger to have been a starter for this meeting, yes I know he has had his ups and downs over the years but I think the lad has immence talent. I honestly believe he only needs a good meeting of this calibre that could really kickstart his career

Cook, Anderson, Harris, Bridger, Bjerre all tweeted about last nights meeting, all lacking professional focus.

While there is no doubt that Berwick Speedway were/are at the mercy of the FIM, they, in taken this meeting on they are part of this. I`m sure had the meeting been raced and been a success they would've been looking at their share of the praise, and quite rightly so. So they need to take the share of the responsibilities of the events from last night.

Taken another FIM meeting in the future might be taken on more trouble than its worth.

What responsibilities?

For the weather?

For the curfew restrictions?

For the timing of the decision by the FIM jury to postpone?

• Like 2