British Speedway Forum
TMW

Leicester V Coventry

I think I fell back in love with speedway after watching the Poole v Bees match on Sky, so thrilling was the entertainment. Last night offered nothing at all to lift the big crowd.

• Like 1

I already said about 2 or 4 good races. But there was still a lot of races that followd along in a big line. Newman was great but the way he rides it was only time before a great big cropper and he did it this week.

Some of the passes he made at Poole made your heart come in your mouth for him. I love speedway, but most of all I don't want to watch young lads riding above themselves and being seriosly hurt.

As I also said the new format this year is going to see a lot more strung out races.

For me last night was the absolute lowest point of of Leicester Speedway,never have i come away so totally dispirited by what i had just witnessed.

I've tried,by God I've tried to be supportive to the promotion,but last nights 'racing' was probably the worst I've ever seen in my entire life! Everybody knows the track is very poor (i should say possibly the worst in the country) last night there was not 1 proper pass or any close 'racing' at all....once the riders get past the 2nd bend on the first lap you might as well fill your programme in!

How can racers like Mads,Simon Stead and Tom Perry even hope to pass when they don't make the gate....no chance on this track,surely the riders and Norrie Allen know that the track is not fit for purpose.

I don't blame Glyn,how can you polish a turd?

David Hemsley in his programme notes and in his column in the Leicester Mercury says the racing is good,is this man in charge of his faculties....Let me spell it out the 'racing ' is pants if he thinks otherwise he is obviously not the man to run Leicester Speedway.

I wonder if the riders are satisfied with the track having no racing lines?

I urge the 'promotion' to change the track into something resembling a proper speedway track with proper racing(surely it can't be that hard to bring both bends in,it could be done in a weekend)if not then sell it to somebody who can before it's too late!

My gut feeling is the whole thing is run by a bunch of amateurs without any thought for the general paying public!

For me last night was the absolute lowest point of of Leicester Speedway,never have i come away so totally dispirited by what i had just witnessed.

I've tried,by God I've tried to be supportive to the promotion,but last nights 'racing' was probably the worst I've ever seen in my entire life! Everybody knows the track is very poor (i should say possibly the worst in the country) last night there was not 1 proper pass or any close 'racing' at all....once the riders get past the 2nd bend on the first lap you might as well fill your programme in!

How can racers like Mads,Simon Stead and Tom Perry even hope to pass when they don't make the gate....no chance on this track,surely the riders and Norrie Allen know that the track is not fit for purpose.

I don't blame Glyn,how can you polish a turd?

David Hemsley in his programme notes and in his column in the Leicester Mercury says the racing is good,is this man in charge of his faculties....Let me spell it out the 'racing ' is pants if he thinks otherwise he is obviously not the man to run Leicester Speedway.

I wonder if the riders are satisfied with the track having no racing lines?

I urge the 'promotion' to change the track into something resembling a proper speedway track with proper racing(surely it can't be that hard to bring both bends in,it could be done in a weekend)if not then sell it to somebody who can before it's too late!

My gut feeling is the whole thing is run by a bunch of amateurs without any thought for the general paying public!

I have to say Mrcts, not sure if this is some kind of satirical pisstake of a certain group of dissenters on this forum but either way it's absolutely spot on. Bizarre indeed.

As offers to help with alterations have been consistently ignored on the basis that DH believes his track is as good as anywhere in the country, and no-one with any influence or input in the running of the place seems able or capable of changing that view for whatever reasons then i'd be inclined to hedge your bets on your gut feeling. It's shameful that all the pro hemsleyites on facebook consistently blame Glyn Taylor track prep for such poor racing rather than mention the unmentionable.

oh well, you've got me at it again,,

Mick.

I have to say Mrcts, not sure if this is some kind of satirical pisstake of a certain group of dissenters on this forum but either way it's absolutely spot on. Bizarre indeed.

As offers to help with alterations have been consistently ignored on the basis that DH believes his track is as good as anywhere in the country, and no-one with any influence or input in the running of the place seems able or capable of changing that view for whatever reasons then i'd be inclined to hedge your bets on your gut feeling. It's shameful that all the pro hemsleyites on facebook consistently blame Glyn Taylor track prep for such poor racing rather than mention the unmentionable.

Mick.

I've not been to many meetings at Leicester as I'm a KL fan that loves speedway - but I have been to the last two home meetings and have enjoyed them both as for the track to me it's just too slick there is dirt there but Glyn Taylor tyre packs it down all the time , I stood on the back straight last night just before the 3 rd bend there was a hole there that caused Ljung to fall - not sure what the answer is too the track shape but one thing I find amazing is why when you build a new stadium the track is the one thing you have to get right and yet it seems many feel it so wrong - who laid or marked the track out ? Didn't they visit Pboro or Kings Lynn to get ideas of what makes a good track ?
  • Like 2

I've not been to many meetings at Leicester as I'm a KL fan that loves speedway - but I have been to the last two home meetings and have enjoyed them both as for the track to me it's just too slick there is dirt there but Glyn Taylor tyre packs it down all the time , I stood on the back straight last night just before the 3 rd bend there was a hole there that caused Ljung to fall - not sure what the answer is too the track shape but one thing I find amazing is why when you build a new stadium the track is the one thing you have to get right and yet it seems many feel it so wrong - who laid or marked the track out ? Didn't they visit Pboro or Kings Lynn to get ideas of what makes a good track ?

If they did, a visit to specsavers should now be on the agenda..

• Like 1

David Hemsley pegged it out. I was up there the day they were concreting in the posts for the fence and pretty much everyone on the job was taking the p*ss out of it even then... plenty of 'thats what he wants, we've told him but he's having none of it' type comments...

Edited by volty

I went to the meeting last night and I have to say, after going to Leicester as a neutral several times now, that's the first time I've come away feeling somewhat subdued. I didn't really feel entertained all that much. I do still enjoy my trips to Leicester, don't get me wrong, the stadium facilities are rather good compared to some tracks I've been to, but the shape of the track just doesn't allow for passing or close racing sadly :sad: The bends have been adjusted previously (I think?!) but it looks like they need adjusting again. I don't know what else they could do. Would've been brilliant if the track shape had been suitable in the first place! The Somerset track apparently always makes for great racing (never been myself so can't make a personal judgement) so why on earth wasn't their track shape looked at and used as a template or something?

I will be back though, on May 10th, for the World U21 qualifier :approve:

Edited by em1500uk

David Hemsley pegged it out. I was up there the day they were concreting in the posts for the fence and pretty much everyone on the job was taking the p*ss out of it even then... plenty of 'thats what he wants, we've told him but he's having none of it' type comments...

well there appears to be plenty of room to have extended the track and stadium on the site I find the track similar to Lakeside and Belle Vue two of the worst in the EL - if I was building a new stadium and laying a new track I'd do my home work first and visit a few track around the UK and get the best bits from all the tracks I went to for me a trip up the A47 to Pboro and then Kings Lynn would have done . Why also won't Hemsley listen ? Has he any speedway experience on laying new tracks ?

I went to the meeting last night and I have to say, after going to Leicester as a neutral several times now, that's the first time I've come away feeling somewhat subdued. I didn't really feel entertained all that much. I do still enjoy my trips to Leicester, don't get me wrong, the stadium facilities are rather good compared to some tracks I've been to, but the shape of the track just doesn't allow for passing or close racing sadly :sad: The bends have been adjusted previously (I think?!) but it looks like they need adjusting again. I don't know what else they could do. Would've been brilliant if the track shape had been suitable in the first place! The Somerset track apparently always makes for great racing (never been myself so can't make a personal judgement) so why on earth wasn't their track shape looked at and used as a template or something?

David Hemsley has regularly mentioned that he didn't want a boring track like Somerset, Scunthorpe or Peterborough as they are all the same and he likes that his track is different to all others. (you might think i'm joking!)

Edited by volty

Somerset track is awesome we go every year Cardiff weekend Scunny is another fine race track

David Hemsley has regularly mentioned that he didn't want a boring track like Somerset, Scunthorpe or Peterborough as they are all the same and he likes that his track is different to all others. (you might think i'm joking!)

what ?? That's crazy - never seen a bad meeting at Somerset

too many people 'living the dream' at leicester Speedway to allow the right decisions to be made. take out the pics of the riders from the weekly LSSC facebook photos and add in those posting on the Leicester facebook sites and you'll notice it's the same old few in the background.. They probably all think they are doing their best for Leicester speedway but i'm afraid they all look cuplable to me.

Edited by volty
  • Like 1

Beg your pardon?! Now I can vouch for Peterborough as a great circuit as I was a regular visitor for the past few seasons (as a neutral of course ;)). Haven't been this year due to the change of race night, but hope to get across for a few meetings. I'm definitely going to the Newcastle meeting a week on Tuesday. What planet is Hemsley on?! I know he's entitled to his views, we all are, but seriously?! :blink:

• Like 2

Mick.

It's not a pisstake,enough's enough.

I have tried to be patient in the vain hope that things would improve but I just feel now the promotion are taking the urine!

The novelty of Elite league speedway will wear off if the racing doesn't get better and it won't get better without spending some dough which Hemsley clearly doesn't want to do.

Did the Elite league teams get any money from sky,if they did can't Denial Dave spend it on the track?

I dread to think what sky tv viewers will make of the racing when we are featured on sky sports.

You miss the point cb252. Long eye is much more than just your common or garden lowly speedway fan. He's part of the pit crew at Leicester for gawd sake. He knows important people who know stuff. This means he knows stuff you will never understand and gives him the insight into the sport so far in advance of you or I. I need to check but I think most of his 300 odd posts clearly show this.. erm.. you retard!

Well, at least in one person's head I'm sure this would appear to be the case anyway!!

Mick.

Wrong again. I don't work there.