British Speedway Forum
Mjolnir

Lakeside V Swindon - Elb 25/04/14

When Kildermands on form ,there cant be a better sight in speedway and his pass on Bech,was one of the best ive seen,and thank god for that as the rest of the meeting was naff with sub standard riders taking part.Does anybody else think something is not right with Bridgers clutch? This is the second meeting running where he has dropped the clutch first before any of the other riders at the start,but by the first 30 yards hes struggleing and being passed to the first bend!!.We are in the main stand and its plain to see,think some of his pit crew should stand with us and see for themselves.!!! Hes clearly dropping the clutch faster then others but the bike just isnt pulling him to the first bend.Dont get me wrong if he doesnt make the start at least we are in for an interesting race!!!

Actually I blame bet365.

I have watched quite a few of the meetings they have covered and realised how it gives you a different perspective on a meeting.

Some of the delays and gaps between races feel extraordinary.

And sat at home with head phones on and no commentary really highlights the appalling music.

What may be bizarrely acceptable to the old folks at the track just becomes laughable at home.

I mean 'Hi Ho Silver Lining' at EVERY Arlington meeting.

Why would anyone sane choose to do that?

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

Just a few points:

I am not much bothered by what music is played - it is not what I am there for - although I do not really mind the familiar stuff played at every meeting.

Jon Cook said the track was a little slicker than he would have liked but blamed the weather forecast re track preparation yesterday.

Our regular rider interviewer/co-presenter was absent last night.

The gulf between the reserves was immense and could have been even bigger but for Adam Ellis' misfortune.

Cannot see Bjarne Pedersen getting too many guest bookings in the near future!

I know what the top 10 is but not really relevant to list them ( here's a link to help bring you into the 21st century of music http://www.officialcharts.com/music-charts/ ) Hope it helps :wink: as for my personal assessment, I like All of Me and Happy - they would both help improve the atmosphere at any speedway meeting. I could go on but I think that's not necessary. With regards to the other post, a couple of current songs in among 30 year old tracks doesn't really fit the bill.

Thanks for the link "SteveO" which I'll follow when I get a spare moment. Meanwhile, in terms of the two music tracks you mention, if you really think they would help improve the atmosphere at any speedway meeting, I assume you'll nip up to see music man Steve & crew and ask them to play both at some stage during Thursday's Robins v Brummies match at Blunsdon as they won't be providing the music at Lakeside until next Saturday when the Hammers take on Coventry.

Edited by Bryn

Who gives a toss about the music...fact is Swindon, apart from the Killer a.k.a big Pete Kildemand, are dire this year, and miss Andersen, Steady, and Doyle, (and Batch last night). Pedersen is a crap guest, North no better than Klindt, and Gusto could be on his way soon.

Mick Horton plays the national anthem at Peterborough.

And at Coventry now. Does he think he's in line for a Knighthood or something?

• Like 2

Personally not enjoying the national anthem at Coventry esp when last time we stood up it played 3 seconds of it and we were back sitting lol

No I think Mick thinks its the only way to get the fans on their feet...think the last one to achieve it was Stan Burza

Edited by dornier

Walking back to happiness by Helen Shapiro. Hey presto it's Blunsdon 1974!

The point is the existing presentation and music just cultivates the out-dated rep that Speedway has. To be honest, i think the main reason most don't go is because they think the sport is dull.

Very true. And the frustrating thing is that it needn't be because the actual sport itself isn't.

It's an interesting point someone made earlier about Bet365 feeds giving a whole new perspective on it. I think that's true. Maybe it lets us see speedway as those who think it is a dull evening out interspaced with 15 minutes of entertainment. The whole evening should be entertaining.

• Like 1

The nature of speedway dictates a lot of gaps between the action. You need to fill those gaps n a way that keeps people entertained. Music plays a part in that.

It may not get people through the turnstiles but it plays a part in the overall experience. Speedway has a real problem with that.

It is an excellent product packaged badly. And that does matter.

I really don't care about the music. What is vital is keeping people informed about what's going on. A complete lack of interviews or any sort of updates other than race results is totally unforgiveable.

Very true. And the frustrating thing is that it needn't be because the actual sport itself isn't.

It's an interesting point someone made earlier about Bet365 feeds giving a whole new perspective on it. I think that's true. Maybe it lets us see speedway as those who think it is a dull evening out interspaced with 15 minutes of entertainment. The whole evening should be entertaining.

I've been saying it for years, but not many seem to listen. Kevin Long is doing an excellent job at Foxhall now that he's been allowed to interview riders during the meeting - it's so much more interesting for fans to know what's going on. Extremely loud music does nothing for anyone.

Edited by Had Enough
  • Like 1

I really don't care about the music. What is vital is keeping people informed about what's going on. A complete lack of interviews or any sort of updates other than race results is totally unforgiveable.

And one thing that really bugs me. Swindon has an electronic score board which shows heat results, times etc. Why has nobody there thought of showing what the actual score is?

Surely some people might find that particular piece of information useful.

Edited by grachan
  • Like 2

Getting back to the racing. I would pay good money to watch Kildemand any day of the week. I would suggest if he rode pre war you would call him Billy or Cyclone.

• Like 1

Getting back to the racing. I would pay good money to watch Kildemand any day of the week. I would suggest if he rode pre war you would call him Billy or Cyclone.

A similar riding style to Jepsen Jensen but Michael is much smoother.

A similar riding style to Jepsen Jensen but Michael is much smoother.

I bow to your experience as to how smooth Michael is!!

Edited by Custom House Kid
  • Like 3