British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

Lewis Bridger (depression)

Whilst wishing Lewis all the best sorting out his depression I wouldn't think any of the above riders are on or have ever been on a 'special diet', except perhaps Tai as he looks the fittest of the lot? (At least he did do until he decided to keep changing the way he looks.) :wink: That's perhaps half the problem with English riders and why the likes of Nielsen, Mauger, Pedersen, Hancock etc. reach the top of their profession and stay there for years whereas they don't. I would also think Polish riders are under a lot more pressure to perform as they get dropped pretty quickly if they're not scoring well. Just my opinion. :oops:

I can tell you now Lewis is and is a very fit guy he takes his fitness very seriously, Lewis has addressed the issue on a social network to his fans which is a huge step and takes guts so hope he gets the help needed and moves forward.

I was another one who hid my depression and then breakdown from pretty much everyone in the speedway world. I was still trying to carry on as if nothing was wrong and in the end, made myself so much worse.

So Lewis has done one better than me in being able to publicly talk about it and for that, kudos to the man, it is a tough thing to admit to.

For me, the thing that quite literally saved my life was a select few (all speedway related friends) who worked out something was wrong and insisted on talking to me and making me talk every night via MSN. If it hadn't been for them, I wouldn't be here now...they stopped me taking that final step even though they never realised I was actually thinking about doing it, just them talking about normal things made me stop and think.

Recovery was a long road (5 years+) but I have been free of treatment now for approx 3 years and doing well.

I'm still on the Tablets eight years down the line but they work. I hope that Lewis can find something that works for him.

Good luck Lewis.

Impressive at Rye House tonight. Blasting round the outside on Turn 4 and down the straight right on the fence, looked to be really going for it. Very entertaining.

• Like 1

Whilst wishing Lewis all the best sorting out his depression I wouldn't think any of the above riders are on or have ever been on a 'special diet', except perhaps Tai as he looks the fittest of the lot? (At least he did do until he decided to keep changing the way he looks.) :wink: That's perhaps half the problem with English riders and why the likes of Nielsen, Mauger, Pedersen, Hancock etc. reach the top of their profession and stay there for years whereas they don't. I would also think Polish riders are under a lot more pressure to perform as they get dropped pretty quickly if they're not scoring well. Just my opinion. :oops:

Every walk of life has pressure in todays times. Its how you deal with it and speedway riders are no different .

Don't know they are born some of them. Back in my Grandma's day there were no washing machines, computers, T.V., inside toilet, bathroom, living in a two up, two down terraced house and having a baby every other year. That's reason to be depressed.

Don't know they are born some of them. Back in my Grandma's day there were no washing machines, computers, T.V., inside toilet, bathroom, living in a two up, two down terraced house and having a baby every other year. That's reason to be depressed.

Some tired stereotyping there (even if tongue in cheek), an uneducated and crass view genuinely held by so many and a key reason why people keep it to themselves in a majority of cases when they could easily seek help.

Edited by JC!
  • Like 2

If Bridger is genuinely depressed why would he be popping wheelies in his races at Wolverhampton whilst at the back? I'd have thought that was the last thing he would want to do.

Depression can affect in many ways, the pulling wheelies may have been his cry for help, feel a bit sad by some of the views on here.

Mental health carries enough stigma without the tripe posted by some folk.

Although I have been fortunate to have not suffered from depression, I have seen it's effects close up.

• Like 2

If Bridger is genuinely depressed why would he be popping wheelies in his races at Wolverhampton whilst at the back? I'd have thought that was the last thing he would want to do.

Wow, now I am surprised by that comment. See, this is depression we're talking about and there are no rules to it. No depression is one and the same. Speedway may be his only sense of enjoyment and while being at the back he's searching for things to entertain himself.

People need to be careful and not stereotype this illness. Even the most depressed has or finds something that picks them up. Absolutely anything

Speedway

Drinking

Football

Cheating on a partner

Drugs

Eating

Lying

Etc etc

Everyone who has suffered will know their 'pick me up' but the issues arise as these don't last 24/7 and the viscous circle just gets bigger, harder and faster until it cracks and as we've seen these cracks can mean death.

Just because you see a smile......................

• Like 3

Wow, now I am surprised by that comment.

That's why I was asking. It just seemed an odd thing to keep doing in the circumstances but now you've explained I understand.

Very silly post!

• Like 1

Why? It's true about both of my grandmothers anyway. They had a pretty grim life compared to how it is today. Pregnant every other year and coping with a family of 9 and 12 children respectively in a two bedroom terraced house. Washing by hand and using a mangle to wring the clothes out etc. Stacks of ironing afterwards and cooking for a big family while the old boy went off down the pub for the evening. Things are so much easier now and we have seemingly everything we want but still get depressed. :neutral:

• Like 1