British Speedway Forum
mdmc82

Lakeside V Coventry 3rd May

Definitetly an entertaining meeting to watch on the stream, despite how the score was going for the Bees for most of the meeting! Great to see Hans banging in some massive points and leading the team as No. 1, oh how we've missed that since we had the good spell with KK in 2010!

Hope people go easy on Fisher after his only bad meeting of the season so far, I personally think he's ridden and scored over and above what should be expected of him this season, even more impressive given his troubles. Not sure why he was struggling tonight but I've noticed in a few of his meetings lately, especially Leicester at home and away for the Bees and the Panthers meeting on Sky this week, that he suddenly seems to be lacking speed in his bikes. He looked to be struggling for speed off the corners and nearly (or actually) getting passed a few times. He touched on it in an interview in the Sky meeting too I think, hope he can get it sorted again soon, although his family issue probably isn't helping.

As for Bomber, if I recall hasn't Lakeside has always been a bogey track for him? Not that it can really be used as an excuse for only scoring 3 points of course, but I'm sure he has history of struggling big time there? Have confidence that he'll bounce back and score his expected points haul in the return at Brandon on Monday. I think it would be harsh for the time being to think of replacing him but with some home meetings coming up he really needs to come through them with good scores to avoid serious questions being asked. With a big juicy chunk of our points limit to play with and riders like Sundstrom and Larsen looking in good shape abroad at the moment, it would be wrong not to look at whether a change should be made a little down the line, this years Bees team has too much potential for it to be wasted by being afraid of making a change if a good opportunity comes up.

So our biggest defeat is still 8 points away at Poole. This team is going places despite the poor scores from Harris and Fisher.

Fisher I don't have a concern with. Harris though, I wasn't overly convinced when it was announced he was coming back, and he's proving me right that he's continuing to spiral at a fast rate. Nicholls who I predicted would also has actually surprised me so far this season. I don't know what's wrong with Bomber and it's not nice to see. I don't think he realises yet that he's not a heat leader anymore and unfortunately I think we need someone else to be be brought in. In my opinion he is the only weak link. Especially when we have Howarth firing.

Good performance from Max Fricke. Solid 7 points including a superb last to first off gate four. Given the condition/performances of some EL clubs I find it hard to understand how Max still doesn't have a permanent EL gig. Surely can't be too long now before it happens.

• Like 3

Great meeting with some very entertaining racing, including the reserves.

Hugely impressed with Fricke (who will surely have an EL team place in the near future) and Hans looked very good too - Coventry fans must be relieved to have a proper #1 this year! Fisher worked hard for not many points, to be honest I was surprised when I realised he hadn't scored more when I totalled up at the end of the meeting.

For the Hammers it was a fairly good all round performance although Lawson didn't have the best night - he's had a fantastic season so far though so I'm sure it was a one-off!

Well done to the Bees for fighting back after a couple of good tactical rides but I'm glad we held on for all 3 points! PK really did chase Hans in heat 15 even though settling for a 3-3 in front of Hansen was enough. Great meeting.

• Like 1

I find it quiet ironic, that all the matches played last night were on the best tracks for FTG racing. Leicester, Lakeside and Eastbourne are all renowned as gaters tracks and all the moaning about Bomber Harris , won't alter the fact, when it comes to gating he's not the best.. Any decent rider who can get out, stay on line will always score more points at these tracks, than someone trying to come from the back.

Bomber has always provided plenty of thrills with his round the board style of riding, but his gating has always been his nemesis. He may let you down on these tight venues, but when he gets the chance on proper size tracks, he'll be there or thereabouts.

You get what you expect from Bomber.......

Good performance from Max Fricke. Solid 7 points including a superb last to first off gate four. Given the condition/performances of some EL clubs I find it hard to understand how Max still doesn't have a permanent EL gig. Surely can't be too long now before it happens.

If he hasn't ridden Arena before that was a pretty impressive performance. And also should stop the rubbish about it being a trick track . But it won't ;) I wouldn't mind betting JC adds him to the list of potential guests.

• Like 1

Have to say big thankyou to Fricke who did a very good job again. If I was Horton, I would have him booked to cover for Howarth for the rest of the season and ask about 2015.

An enjoyable meeting and decent racing, with Andersen, Fricke, Hansen and Garrity riding well. Fisher a tad unfortunate falling when leading one heat and then we come to our captain who was lucky to get 3pts. He was getting into scoring positions but was being passed with ease, as his bikes looked painfully slow, however the facts show he has lost 1pt on his average already this season and for a rider of his ability that is woeful. Lets hope he can sort it out quick.

• Like 4

The constant criticism of Lewis Bridger has been his apparent obsession for pulling wheelies. I'm no longer a motorcyclist and have never ridden a speedway bike but it seems to me that it's a bad habit that is more a hindrance to him than anything else. He was trying so hard in this match and reaped the benefits but lifting the front wheel at the wrong time doesn't seem to be doing him any favours

I find it quiet ironic, that all the matches played last night were on the best tracks for FTG racing. Leicester, Lakeside and Eastbourne are all renowned as gaters tracks and all the moaning about Bomber Harris , won't alter the fact, when it comes to gating he's not the best.. Any decent rider who can get out, stay on line will always score more points at these tracks, than someone trying to come from the back.

Bomber has always provided plenty of thrills with his round the board style of riding, but his gating has always been his nemesis. He may let you down on these tight venues, but when he gets the chance on proper size tracks, he'll be there or thereabouts.

Definitely not the case yesterday evening as far as Lakeside are concerned.

• Like 2

If he hasn't ridden Arena before that was a pretty impressive performance. And also should stop the rubbish about it being a trick track . But it won't ;) I wouldn't mind betting JC adds him to the list of potential guests.

Max hadn't turned a wheel at Arena/Lakeside prior to last night. Of what I saw he was taking the bends very well.

The difference is he gated on par with everyone else but then was passed in pretty much every race. He also rode some strange lines which to me suggests his bike(s) are also not performing. I see he only scored 2 at lakeside last year but before that he usually did well there.

Max hadn't turned a wheel at Arena/Lakeside prior to last night. Of what I saw he was taking the bends very well.

He is a superb talent and if I was Horton id sign him up as an asset asap.

• Like 1

A very good meeting in front of what looked a very healthy crowd,with a very good travelling support. Probably the best meeting I have ever seen at Lakeside the track was well prepared,with a lot of very good and close racing throughout. Lakeside deserved their win,just a shame the Bees late fightback didn't quite earn us a point.

Lakeside are a very solid side this year, and Bech looks a real star, and Bridger rode with a real determination,that often you haven't seen. Difficult to see many sides getting much joy at Lakeside,and injuries aside they look a very good bet for a play off spot.

For the Bees Hans was outstanding and considering his sickness his performance was inspirational. Fisher was poor but to be fair,he has been very good generally this year. Hansen started poorly but improved very well during the meeting. Garrity battled for every point, and although he has his detractors I personally love his grit and determination. Bomber was just plain awful,his confidence seems on the floor,and his bikes just look so slow and it was painful to see. Bomber's part in the 2005/6/7 period and of course 2010,will always assure him special affection in most Bees fan's hearts, but sport is always pretty brutal,its the here and now that counts for most people. He needs to find a way to bounce back and quickly from this. Sarjeant mainly struggled but Lakeside is not the easiest track to master for inexperienced riders. Finally Fricke, having seen him twice for the Bees,what a prospect he looks.I doubt if has ever seen Lakeside before and yet he rode it like he has been there for years. The Bees have a big asset base but I'm sure their must be room for 1 more. ;)

• Like 8

i think bombers mistake was to enter the Gp, now hew is playing catch up, getting mullered in the gp's is not going to do any riders confidence any good.

the team is strong throughout, just need bomber back to heat leader standard and were are not far off.

i think it is right that coventry signed him, and i dont expect for one moment he would be back to 8+ average but 7 is not unreasonable,

he needs to get back to that pretty sharish thou, or lets be honest the knives will be out.

Bombers previous 2 performances for the Bees were decent and expected more from him at Lakeside. Needs a decent score at Brandon on Monday to appease the fans.

Personaly i would give him the next two home meetings to improve, if he does Not then get rid.