British Speedway Forum
mdmc82

Eastbourne V Coventry Select 17th May

it was bad when you could tell which gates the home riders were coming out of by the grading.

I support speedway rather than a team but Eastbourne is one of the tracks I no longer go to due to this and the length of the meetings

It is Eastbournes decision to ride on Saturday nights against the grand prix, so if they lose money they have no one else to blame. Mind you wish all the old Saturday night tracks would revert back. Ah the good old days, on the cinders

As its been said and proved Eastbourne need to ride on saturday nights due to the wide fan base - yes we do have one. It was tried a few years ago on a thursday night for a season and crowd figures dropped even lower. The management knew that due to a few extra meetings this year that they would be up against a GP on one or two meetings not everyone watches the gps there are a few that rather be at a track watching a live meeting

Edited by Sophies Mate
  • Like 1

Very worrying times for our beloved sport and like many feel the medlers really have got this draft rider system wrong. Right idea but draft picks were shocking when they have chosen riders not even up to Premier league level let alone Elite league. Never have I been so disillusioned with our Elite league as I have this season and the powers that be seem to fail to know what to do to shake it up. I have been saying for years now that Elite league should run on just one night possibly a Monday and all this guest riding needs to be stopped. Football would look great with Rooney guesting for Chelsea one week playing for Man U another then guesting for Spurs the next week. Its a farce and damaging the fan base and its only Sky revenue keeping some clubs going. I want to see the worlds best and up and coming riders and yes it would be great to see the Brits bought along but dear oh dear who on earth chose to have such an uneven batch of draft riders, clearly some are up to it but at the same time some not even premier league level. Little thought has gone into the selection process when riders like Birks, and Auty can't get a ride in the Elite league. The Elite league needs a massive overhaul otherwise its clubs will die and it will be just the lucky ones who will survive. Agree with many that to charge £17 for such a watered down product was suicide when you have to buy a programme and at Swindon pay a ridiculous £2 to park. We have lost a few top riders this season as it is and then introduced this Draft system that is clearly too much too soon and would have been better tested in the Premier league with Elite teams having to track say two Brits in their 1-7's. Just hope the powers that be read these forums.

I pay nothing. :wink: The money is charged by the stadium owners not the Swindon promotion.

Plenty of free parking available but if people can't be bothered to walk 200 yards then they they get what they deserve to be honest.

Eastbourne's a dump

Very constructive comment, well done, your parents and friends must be proud of you.

• Like 6

What a ridiculous post, are you real do you call yourself a Speedway supporter, hope you paid your dues and watched a crap meeting. If you were a true speedway supporter you should be complaining about the riders you haven't been able to watch at such a meeting as this. Speedway supporters should not be expected to pay admission prices to watch third division riders in place of a team's number 1, what a way to treat supporters. Time we got it all sorted out if these meetings take place, the British leagues should be able to replace their teams riders legally. Time it was all sorted out before this great sport disappears!

What a ridiculous post, are you real do you call yourself a Speedway supporter, hope you paid your dues and watched a crap meeting. If you were a true speedway supporter you should be complaining about the riders you haven't been able to watch at such a meeting as this. Speedway supporters should not be expected to pay admission prices to watch third division riders in place of a team's number 1, what a way to treat supporters. Time we got it all sorted out if these meetings take place, the British leagues should be able to replace their teams riders legally. Time it was all sorted out before this great sport disappears!

I've read some garbage on this forum over the years but some of the comments on this thread are truely in cloud cuckoo land.

How any Coventry fan has the audacity to criticise the Eastbourne track is beyond belief, given the problems you have had this year and in the past. The track grading comment comes up every year but as usual no one has any real evidence of this, it seems to be one of those folklore tales that people love to regurgitate without substance.

There wasn't a lot of grading done last night, the track was grippy on the outside and slick on the inside. Now perhaps this was actually better from a safety point of view? We are told that grippy tracks and modern speedway bikes are dangerous in inexperienced hands and it is easier for less experienced riders to slide the bike on slicker surfaces. So, given the makeup of the Coventry team last night perhaps it was better for there to be an inside line that they could, (and did), ride. The grippy outside was no problem for Bridger, Michelson, Woodward etc. although unfortunately Ryan Fisher had trouble handling it.

The meeting was horribly drawn out, everyone was fed up with it, the Eastbourne fans gave a mighty cheer toward the referee when the 2 minute warning was sounded, and the responsibility the delays lies squarely with the referee. We wouldn't have had this problem when Frank Ebdon was in charge!

It would seem that 2 posters on here have a particular issue with Eastboure as they have only sweeping negative comments to make, were you actually at the meeting or did you get all your views from the gambling site feed?

• Like 5

Drawn out meetings are (another) scourge....rPerhaps referees should be held to account and their match fee witheld if they can't get through 15 heats in 2 hours...

• Like 1

I've read some garbage on this forum over the years but some of the comments on this thread are truely in cloud cuckoo land.

How any Coventry fan has the audacity to criticise the Eastbourne track is beyond belief, given the problems you have had this year and in the past. The track grading comment comes up every year but as usual no one has any real evidence of this, it seems to be one of those folklore tales that people love to regurgitate without substance.

There wasn't a lot of grading done last night, the track was grippy on the outside and slick on the inside. Now perhaps this was actually better from a safety point of view? We are told that grippy tracks and modern speedway bikes are dangerous in inexperienced hands and it is easier for less experienced riders to slide the bike on slicker surfaces. So, given the makeup of the Coventry team last night perhaps it was better for there to be an inside line that they could, (and did), ride. The grippy outside was no problem for Bridger, Michelson, Woodward etc. although unfortunately Ryan Fisher had trouble handling it.

The meeting was horribly drawn out, everyone was fed up with it, the Eastbourne fans gave a mighty cheer toward the referee when the 2 minute warning was sounded, and the responsibility the delays lies squarely with the referee. We wouldn't have had this problem when Frank Ebdon was in charge!

It would seem that 2 posters on here have a particular issue with Eastboure as they have only sweeping negative comments to make, were you actually at the meeting or did you get all your views from the gambling site feed?

I agree with about 90% of what you say here but drawn out meetings aren't totally the referee's fault. Accidents, intervals - why did we have one on Saturday when we had had enough delays anyway ? - failure to communicate properly and other matters outside of their control all count.

Kent on bank holiday Monday was a good example. 3 hours of crap racing and unnecessary hold ups but you should have seen how fast the meeting progressed when there was a possibility that the curfew might be breached.

watched a Belle Vue meeting off a feed a few weeks ago, 15 heats all done and dusted just after 9pm.... that's how to do it.

• Like 1

Ten heats done in 50 minutes at kent last monday to beat the rain. It just shows what's possible.

I agree with about 90% of what you say here but drawn out meetings aren't totally the referee's fault. Accidents, intervals - why did we have one on Saturday when we had had enough delays anyway ? - failure to communicate properly and other matters outside of their control all count.

Kent on bank holiday Monday was a good example. 3 hours of crap racing and unnecessary hold ups but you should have seen how fast the meeting progressed when there was a possibility that the curfew might be breached.

Intervals are not there just to annoy the spectators try standing on the centre green for 2 to 3 hours without being able to have a toilet break or the chance to have a hot drink or something to eat? Trust me if you were doing that you'd want a break of 10 - 15 minutes to be able to do that. Also I'm sure you will find that most riders take advantage of the break to adjust bikes, have a team talk etc. At the end of the day if there are delays due to riders having a crash then they need to be checked out especially on Saturday it was not clear straight away if Timo had done serious damage to his collar bone and needed to be checked out properly before deciding if he was ok to carry on or should we not bother with these checks and say sod it you will be ok stop moaning and get back your bike?

Intervals are not there just to annoy the spectators. Try standing on the centre green for 2 to 3 hours without being able to have a toilet break or the chance to have a hot drink or something to eat? Trust me if you were doing that you'd want a break of 10 - 15 minutes to be able to do that.

I just don't get that. What's wrong with having something to eat/drink just prior to the meeting and using the loo? There must be some weak bladders out there. :lol: I drive to Coventry from Leicester, watch the match and second half and then drive back again, all without the need to visit the loo.

I just don't get that. What's wrong with having something to eat/drink just prior to the meeting and using the loo? There must be some weak bladders out there. :lol: I drive to Coventry from Leicester, watch the match and second half and then drive back again, all without the need to visit the loo.

Well arent you the lucky one! You may want to take into consideration that some people go to work prior to going to the meeting and dont always have chance to have something to eat before their duties start but of course that doesnt matter