British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Woz01

Coventry V Eastbourne 23/05/2014

Every club except wolves and kings lynn need to look at what buster and bridget do.

Swindon cov belle vue and everyone else call of matches to early when forecast is for good evening wheather. What's wrong with delaying the meeting till 8. That's 3 and half hours to fix a track

• Like 2

I said this on a purpose built thread, everyone ignored it or said preferred early call offs if weather iffy, I am in complete agreement, certain tracks call it off without even trying remedial track work.....

• Like 1

I agree. Stopped raining now and brightening up so shame start couldn't have been delayed.

I guess we don't know damaged already done to track

Without going into the whys and wherefores, in the vast majority of instances, it makes NO financial sense whatsoever to call a meeting off - particularly post-Midday.

I am quite sure that every attempt was made by the promotion at Coventry Speedway to get this meeting staged.

And with no disrespect intended towards those who do not know (e.g. folk that have never worked as part of a track-staff team) it takes very little excess water to make the unimaginable difference between a track that you can pull back and make raceable, as opposed to a track that is so badly covered in porridge that it's not going to be at best SAFE and, at worst, just about rideable.

• Like 3

Track covers would of kept this meeting on,it's now sunny.

Speedway promotors never learn

We've got a lot of expert track people on this forum get down to your local track and tell them how to do it

• Like 4

To be fair very few tracks have the equipment available that Buster has.

• Like 2

If every track did what buster did last night there would be very few meetings off

It's entirely dependent upon the conditions.

1mm too much, honestly, just 1mm, can take a track to the point of no return.

Other factors come into play. Is it a chalk or lime base? What is the wind doing - strong wind being one of the best natural enablers to help dry it. How much has the track drainage had to cope with in the last 48 hours. The factors are numerous.

Suffice to say, well done to KL for getting their meeting on. Just pleased to note that clearly Buster knows more about wet tracks than he does blown fuses! ;)

To be fair very few tracks have the equipment available that Buster has.

:D

It was chucking it down this afternoon and with the previous heavy rain over the last 48 hours it stood little chance of going ahead. We have had a huge amount of rainfall this week I've had to cycle in it!

Just like our track staff (Swindon) make no effort to get the meeting on. Look at Buster last night and what a brilliant track Buster produced. All these call offs are damaging the sport it seems like we just watch the rain fall and then call it off straight away :nono:

If only you had gone to the Swindon Stadium to help out I'm sure the meeting would have been held. Missed your chance there to show everyone how easy it is to get rid of all the water. :lol:http://www.swindonrobins.co/news.php?extend.2206

Edited by Gemini

Being completely fair to coventry promotion, the weather (I live 2 miles away from Brandon) was absolute "pants" from 4.00 pm to 6.00 pm and absolute no brainier for the meeting being called of IMO.

I remember back in the '80's talk of tracks being covered up. This after the British Final at Coventry being called off several times due to the weather and in the days of Malcolm Simmons, Peter Collins, Dave Jessop, John Davis et al. (When the British Final was a massive meeting in the uk calendar and Coventry filled to bursting !)

Tbh, surprised that technology has not progressed enough to allow for tracks not to be covered up and to be cost effective at the same time.

Was going to suggest that with the indoor Speedway GP meetings and protected speedway circuits that you can always guarantee

Seeing the sport - then I remembered Cardiff of 2013 , when potentially it could have been a "no go" due to issues with the damp materials being used.

Happy days. Mark