British Speedway Forum
ColinMills

Coventry Meeting Day

At this stage I think it very unwise to antagonise Mr Sandhu. He owns the stadium and as far as we know there may be little chance of getting planning permission to build houses there. Remember, he did try to get planning permission to build a fitness centre on the site some time ago and was refused. There were also ru+mours that he wanted to build a greyhound centre on the site of the garden centre opposite the stadium but was refused permission. Yes, he has become very disillusioned with all things speedway but my feeling is that if the necessary planning permission was not forthcoming he would cut his losses and sell up. At least then we have the chance that a buyer could be found for a viable venue. The last thing we want is for the stadium to be left empty for any period of time. This could really be the end for the Bees, Storm and Vikings.

I found this to be probably the most profound comment on the Brandon Stadium situation.

I had almost daily Contact with Martin and Linda at the time . and neither wanted to go , especially Linda because she had been robbed of the business her husband had built from nothing , Sandhu admitted later that his Intention was to drive the Ochiltrees out and build houses on what would become a valuable piec of land that he had aquired for peanuts , only after having his planning application refused and being told by Rugby council that it was covenanted to remain a sports facility did he try to make a go of it . now he's back agin for round 2 and if Rugby council can hold their steel , once his greed has been thwarted again Hopefully he will move on.

Well, you obviously know more than I do but I don't see how anyone could make someone sell if they didn't want to and be driven out. What methods did Sandhu use? The place must have been up for sale in the first place.

If you turned up today with 1 million quid in your hand do you think Sandhu would say oh thanks very much heres the keys . you can have it for what I paid and I'll not worry about the 9, million profit I planned to make 12 years ago when I bought in and pushed the Ochiltrees out so I could develop the place

It could be bought with an overage. This would mean Mr Sandhu could have a share of the profit, if the stadium is later sold and housing development is granted.

What is the state in regard to the proposed meeting: there has been so much chatter the basics seem to be over-ridden.

Has a venue been found?

On what date will it take place?

Has a chairman been agreed?

Is there any indication how many will attend?

Has the meeting been publicised anywhere else other than in this thread?

I take it there has been no progress in regard to these matters? Personally I doubt very much that there will ever be a meeting.

I take it there has been no progress in regard to these matters? Personally I doubt very much that there will ever be a meeting.

Surely the best bet is to canvass support from Rugby District Council for retention of the site for recreational purposes, ie motor sport, greyhound racing, etc

It needs stepping up as we no longer have an ex-rider as Mayor

Perhaps an online petition?

to all coventry/speedway fans wanting next months meeting with mark pawsey/rugby advertiser and midlands tv..these 3 have all been arranged..the date has to fit around the MPs availability..think this thread is probably the easiest post for suggestions..

What is the state in regard to the proposed meeting: there has been so much chatter the basics seem to be over-ridden.

Has a venue been found?

On what date will it take place?

Has a chairman been agreed?

Is there any indication how many will attend?

Has the meeting been publicised anywhere else other than in this thread?

What stages has the suggestion reached? Isn't time now running out considering how long the thread has been running?

I know TWK, that is the problem. And to be fair we have seen so called 'speedway friendly' business people sell speedway down the river, e.g. John Davis, Weymouth and the Pugh family, Cradley Heath. And, allegedly, the Ochiltrees, at Leicester. I have to say, when Mr Sandhu took over at Coventry I was a bit concerned, as and not wishing to sound racist, speedway and motorsport, is not a usual Asian persons interest.

I make no comment on the above, other than to say that former Bee Tony Gillias has been succeeded as Mayor of Rugby by Ramesh Srivastava, born in India, and to repeat that it is Rugby DC that we need on our side

Is this meeting still happening? I thought it was all arranged but seems to have gone very quiet...

Is this meeting still happening? I thought it was all arranged but seems to have gone very quiet...

As you will see in some previous Posts by me, I have tried to find out exactly where the moves in regard to a proposed meeting have reached but there has been no response. My guess is "there ain't gonna be a meeting" - SADLY.

Edited by Guest

Sadly there didn't seem to be much interest in the first place in spite of Colin's efforts, but what would the meeting achieve anyway? That's not a criticism - I'm just wondering. :unsure:

Sadly there didn't seem to be much interest in the first place in spite of Colin's efforts, but what would the meeting achieve anyway? That's not a criticism - I'm just wondering. :unsure:

thank you gemini, the lack of response was a bit of a shock. not 1 local offered to be a chairperson. yes, the meeting is early, but how late do bees fans wanna start this challenge?. how often can you have a MP, a tv channel, and local press on standby,AND on side of speedway, and then not wanted?? it had to be a rl early oppertunity to get everyone involved, but i fear now, the lack of interest will rub off on local media

I don't know why there hasn't been much interest Colin unless no-one wants to upset Sandhu this early when we supposedly still have two more years to go after this year. There has already been a 'falling out' between him and the promotion earlier in the season but luckily everyone kissed and made up after a few days. Perhaps we are all too worried if there are any protests Sandhu will just get rid of the speedway earlier than he says. I'm not local and am definitely not the sort of person to even speak at meetings like this as I'd probably be hiding away at the back somewhere. :lol:

• Like 1

As stated before, only a small amount of bees fans use this forum. Getting the telegraph or radio to announce it would be best

As stated before, only a small amount of bees fans use this forum. Getting the telegraph or radio to announce it would be best

They would most likely ask what sort of interest from the general public would be? Then, if you say more than you expect and only a hndful turn up they will comment on the fact that few people supported the proposed gathering. The whole thing has not been though through - it has just grown from the first comment in the thread. Hav other groups who also use Brandon Stadium aka Coventry been advised and their support sought - not according to my research with another group.

to all coventry/speedway fans wanting next months meeting with mark pawsey/rugby advertiser and midlands tv..these 3 have all been arranged..the date has to fit around the MPs availability..think this thread is probably the easiest post for suggestions..

This is the original request for a meeting. It's not very positive.

it was meant to get the ball rolling.....i had a decent conversation with roseycombe for the meeting, but after no local wanted to take on the chair person roll, and just 3 pm msgs, and 8 others willing to turn up on the day, its clearly not high on priority list. it had no response from coventry fb page either. such a shame, but never mind. i personally, think it will be left too late now, but hopefully i will be wrong. thanks to the people who personally contacted me, much appreciated

• Like 3