British Speedway Forum
ch958

Nottingham Greyhound Stadium

Yes, Leicester's among the best-attended tracks in the country but their whole business plan was based on significantly higher attendances that they've now settled into so that the gate-receipts didn't just cover the week-to-week costs of the Lions but also made good progress paying off the lump-sun costs of building the stadium in the first place.

If you go to, for example Poole or Wolves, a small part of your admission money's going towards the rent of a stadium whose building costs were paid off many years ago ... but at Leicester, a bigger chunk of your admission money's still going towards the materials and other costs of building the venue you're standing in and that's why an above-average crowd for them isn't automatically making them "doing better" as you've suggested.

And if you think Derby's proximity to Nottingham will significantly help the prospects of a Nottingham speedway team attracting a worthwhile crowd, dream on given those two cities' football rivalry !!

One of Long Eaton's biggest advantages was its location midway between Derby and Nottingham without fully being either one of them so that whatever your football or other sports loyalties, there wasn't any need to feel awkward by saying you also supported the speedway at Long Eaton.

Myself and my friends go to Newcastle Speedway from SUNDERLAND. :shock: :shock:

There is no greater Football rivalry than that. :shock:

We are usually greeted with good natured banter and good humour and we enjoy ourselves. :t::approve:

I still support Sunderland Football Club (from the armchair). ;)

Myself and my friends go to Newcastle Speedway from SUNDERLAND. :shock: :shock:

There is no greater Football rivalry than that. :shock:

We are usually greeted with good natured banter and good humour and we enjoy ourselves. :t::approve:

I still support Sunderland Football Club (from the armchair). ;)

And that makes you and your pals a very welcome and enthusiastic exception to the general rule.

As you're one of the busiest posters on this forum, from all your time browsing the various threads could you easily name many other forum members who so clearly have identified themselves as any particular speedway club's fans despite being local arch-rival supporters in another sport ?

And that makes you and your pals a very welcome and enthusiastic exception to the general rule.

As you're one of the busiest posters on this forum, from all your time browsing the various threads could you easily name many other forum members who so clearly have identified themselves as any particular speedway club's fans despite being local arch-rival supporters in another sport ?

No I'm afraid I couldn't - however I find it hard to believe that we at Newcastle/Sunderland are unique in this.

No I'm afraid I couldn't - however I find it hard to believe that we at Newcastle/Sunderland are unique in this.

I'd agree you're not "unique" in this situation but you're certainly a rarity.

• Like 1

I'd agree you're not "unique" in this situation but you're certainly a rarity.

A lot of people say that. :shock::wink:

I can't think why? :unsure: :unsure: :blink:

• Like 1

Yes, Leicester's among the best-attended tracks in the country but their whole business plan was based on significantly higher attendances that they've now settled into so that the gate-receipts didn't just cover the week-to-week costs of the Lions but also made good progress paying off the lump-sun costs of building the stadium in the first place.

If you go to, for example Poole or Wolves, a small part of your admission money's going towards the rent of a stadium whose building costs were paid off many years ago ... but at Leicester, a bigger chunk of your admission money's still going towards the materials and other costs of building the venue you're standing in and that's why an above-average crowd for them isn't automatically making them "doing better" as you've suggested.

And if you think Derby's proximity to Nottingham will significantly help the prospects of a Nottingham speedway team attracting a worthwhile crowd, dream on given those two cities' football rivalry !!

One of Long Eaton's biggest advantages was its location midway between Derby and Nottingham without fully being either one of them so that whatever your football or other sports loyalties, there wasn't any need to feel awkward by saying you also supported the speedway at Long Eaton.

I've no doubt Leicester are still paying of the costs of setting the venue up. indeed they still need a permanent main stand that will have to be paid for!

I have been told Leicester average over 2000 a meeting. If the seemingly very sensible and decent speedway promoter (despite what the Lions fans may say!) David Hemsley budgeted for crowds bigger than what they are getting then I'd be very surprised!

Yes I'm aware of the rivalry between Derby County FC and Nottingham Forest FC and have seen this first hand at an England football match a few years ago when I saw Derby and Forest fans have an altercation.

That said in my area Norwich City FC and Ipswich Town FC hate each other but I know more than a few Norwich City fans spectate at Foxhall, Ipswich and in the past I've even seen yellow and green Norwich shirts in the crowd at Foxhall!

Going back to the days of the Firs, Norwich Stars speedway used to get a more than a few of their fans from Suffolk!

Ipswich speedway is nearer for many people in Norfolk than what the actual Norfolk track King's Lynn is.

Football fans tend to ignore their rivalries if they are interested in speedway. Myself for instance am a Norwich City fan but the speedway track I've watched most meetings at has been Ipswich, though had Norwich speedway kept going that would be different!

This isn't taking into account the many speedway fans who couldn't give a monkeys about football!

If both Nottingham and Derby had speedway teams then I'm sure they'd be a rivalry similar to the football like I remember Norwich and Ipswich speedways having but I'm sure any speedway enthusiasts from Derby would have no problem going to Nottingham to watch the great sport!

I am not sure that really came into it to be honest, but both Derby and Forest fans that did come would often be missing if either team were playing at home so avoiding football clashes would be important, especially when Forest play due to local congestion, the same maybe during Test Match week at Trent Bridge. If local speedway existed within the East Midlands (we tend to discount Leicester) then speedway fans would likely attend, regardless of Forest/Derby/County allegiances.

There was a comment on the thread about sustainable crowds at Long Eaton, under Tony Mole we had a well run team and fairly successful, so crowds were ok, although no idea if suitable but one thing needs to be remembered until Long Eaton closed a fair few 'speedway fans' came up from Leicester, who would be unlikely to come on a regular basis now they have their own team back.

So wherever a track was found, good business planning would need to take into account the other big sports in the city to ensure they are not losing potential fans to other sports, i.e. football, Cricket and even Ice Hockey.

Personally I would hate Long Eaton to restart with a tinpot track (as muted at the proposed but always unlikely new Station Road stadium), speedway for a Long Eaton/Nottingham team should always have a decent sized racing track IMO.

Edited by TheReturn

I'm a Barnsley fan and I "Hate" Wednesday and United, but I support The Tigers......

• Like 1

I'm a Barnsley fan and I "Hate" Wednesday and United, but I support The Tigers......

Although, I'd probably draw the line if the Speedway was in Leeds! :rofl::drink:

• Like 1

Although, I'd probably draw the line if the Speedway was in Leeds! :rofl::drink:

I can understand that. "Dirty Leeds"!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: