British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

Belle Vue National Stadium

1984. Kenny Carter was best man

:o That was hardly a good omen ...

Well done to Belle Vue for getting to this point. Its been a lengthy process (too long probably for the club and other parties), but at least now thing appear to be moving forward.

The advantage they've got is that Belle Vue is probably the most iconic club operating today. To be able to stage the sport in a top class venue as opposed to the ramshackle tip they run at now, will only be a good thing.

Out of interest, do we have any idea for the timescale on the construction? I would imagine 2015 will see Belle Vue running at Kirkmanshulme Lane with the new stadium in place for 2016?

• Like 1

Well done to Belle Vue for getting to this point. Its been a lengthy process (too long probably for the club and other parties), but at least now thing appear to be moving forward.

The advantage they've got is that Belle Vue is probably the most iconic club operating today. To be able to stage the sport in a top class venue as opposed to the ramshackle tip they run at now, will only be a good thing.

Out of interest, do we have any idea for the timescale on the construction? I would imagine 2015 will see Belle Vue running at Kirkmanshulme Lane with the new stadium in place for 2016?

Looking at tonight's crowd not sure that even a new stadium is the silver bullet for Belle Vue,are bricks and mortar going to be enough to entice another 1000 people to regularly attend speedway at Belle Vue.

Looking at tonight's crowd not sure that even a new stadium is the silver bullet for Belle Vue,are bricks and mortar going to be enough to entice another 1000 people to regularly attend speedway at Belle Vue.

How many people would you estimate were there tonight?

Not enough to make it viable

That's not an answer, with respect. I will ask again, how many were there tonight?

That's not an answer, with respect. I will ask again, how many were there tonight?

Difficult to count watching the TV but there didn't look to be more than 400 standing outside.

From my vantage point in the bar, a very very rough estimate but I'd say somewhere in the region of 1000 there tonight. My first meeting in several months and pleasantly surprised by some of the racing but, at times, I did wonder if I'd stumbled into a library rather than sports stadium. Roll on the new stadium and decent vantage points outdoors!

Edited by Tkdandy

Your crowd was bound to drop. Not in the play offs, one off the bottom of the league, lost quite a few at home, it was on the telly, riders missing and you know how fickle Supporters are hopefully you will get some better crowds when the New Stadium built just for speedway is built and the sooner the better.

Not a regular at Belle Vue, went when the Brummies were there and a few times since you moved from the Great Hyde Road track over the years but the standard of the stadium has dropped in all that time, the sooner you move the better for all concerned the riders, the staff, the supporters and the Promoters, roll on 2016. :t:

• Like 1

Nice thought from Drop a Cog about Councils stumping up cash for a Stadium.

Dudley is now a one horse town (without the horse most days). The Council moan about how dead the night time economy is. In the meantime the Heathens still race in front of healthy crowds over 10 miles away.

Are the Council capable of stringling the two points together to come up with anything resembling a plan? Nope! (and that is in spite of many years pressure from fans and promoters alike).

I congratulate all at Belle Vue for winning the Council over but it does help if you start with a Council that has an interest in competitive sport and Manchester clearly fits that bill on all fronts.

Good luck with the development. I wish we were in the same position.

• Like 3

The thing is, councils are increasingly being encouraged to sell their assets on order to keep council tax bills down.

This makes is even more "strange" that Manchester City Council are prepared to borrow £6m, take on the risk of building a stadium and then leasing it to private company.

The thing is, councils are increasingly being encouraged to sell their assets on order to keep council tax bills down.

This makes is even more "strange" that Manchester City Council are prepared to borrow £6m, take on the risk of building a stadium and then leasing it to private company.

So do you want them to change their minds and pull the funding??

So do you want them to change their minds and pull the funding??

To right pull the funding cos this is heading to be one of the biggest white elephants there's been with british speedway in decline what use will the stadium be I suppose you could put a big top on the centre,green for a circus but would Morton need another fact finding mission to see to a circus

To right pull the funding cos this is heading to be one of the biggest white elephants there's been with british speedway in decline what use will the stadium be I suppose you could put a big top on the centre,green for a circus but would Morton need another fact finding mission to see to a circus

So after 7 years of hard work and against all expectations Belle Vue achieve something which may just help to save this sport we love. It will provide modern facilities that might just encourage newcomers to return and properly structured training facilities to encourage British talent and you want the council to pull the plug.

If everyone had that attitude the sport really would be doomed.

As for the pathetic comment about fact finding missions, only a fool would embark on such a major project without doing as much research as possible.

• Like 6

only a fool would embark on such a major project without doing as much research as possible.

Has anyone ever heard of a promoter doing any research?? at any track?? or seen the results??