British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

Belle Vue National Stadium

Nice thought from Drop a Cog about Councils stumping up cash for a Stadium.

Dudley is now a one horse town (without the horse most days). The Council moan about how dead the night time economy is. In the meantime the Heathens still race in front of healthy crowds over 10 miles away.

Are the Council capable of stringling the two points together to come up with anything resembling a plan? Nope! (and that is in spite of many years pressure from fans and promoters alike).

I congratulate all at Belle Vue for winning the Council over but it does help if you start with a Council that has an interest in competitive sport and Manchester clearly fits that bill on all fronts.

Good luck with the development. I wish we were in the same position.

I was under the impression that the local council were right behind the Heathens search for a new home?

Has anyone ever heard of a promoter doing any research?? at any track?? or seen the results??

Once this stadium is built, yes you will have

Even with all the negative comments on this thread my only concern from day one was that the rest of British speedway wouldn't have the drive and vision to move the sport forward as The Aces are doing.

I hope with things finally falling into place with this fabulous project The Aces promotion can turn their attention to British Speedway as a whole.

It would however require other promotions to be equal to the task and meet of surpass the criterior set for them. I think it can be done wiiith the right mentality but it will certainly provide The Aces with another set of hurdles to overcome.

Join us, the futures bright.

• Like 1

Has anyone ever heard of a promoter doing any research?? at any track?? or seen the results??

You are the fool if you think these promoters have gone into this blind and not done the research.

That's the beauty of this plan, if it doesn't work we are no worse off, we can't survive at the current track. If it doesn't work out at the National Speedway Stadium it's the council left with the white elephant.

A stunning no lose position for The Aces.

Do you not think the council are going to want their money back whatever ?

I know I sound like a broken record. At the rate the sport is declining in this country, what crowd levels will be attending speedway by the time this venue gets built.

Well one of the main gripes on this forum are crap old stadia and poor presentation. As soon as one track actually does something about it, the doom merchants on here switch tack to another form if attack. Thankfully there are 2 million people in Greater Manchester who don't read the whinging crap of about 10 posters on this forum, and a proportion of whom might actually go and watch.

Lets hope the promotion get the presentation right and give it some drama ( and 15 heats in 90 minutes or so)

Edited by jimmy jimmy
  • Like 3

You could almost envisage a situation where we are the only track running. It's happened before and we will always put on top level speedway for the British fans.

Once again we can lead the sport in this country towards better times and with the famous training school back up and running we can start producing FIM gold medalist once again plus quality league riders for the rest of the country to use.

I really believe we can have three or more ex Colts in the GP without having to resort to qualification hand outs, just as we did several years ago.

I can't wait.

• Like 4

It's astonishing that, when the forum is full of posters screaming for imagination and action to save the sport, some can only criticise a promotion who show imagination and take action in an effort to improve the sport. Really, really amazing.

I was under the impression that the local council were right behind the Heathens search for a new home?

You would think they would be, wouldn't you? However, the stunning lack of genuine progress in finding a new home since Dudley Wood closed its doors 19 years ago tells the true story. Speedway is an inconvenience and it seems even neighbouring Sandwell Council were more helpful in trying to find a site than Dudley Council. This ignores the fact that Heathens in a home of their own would possibly be the most watched speedway team in the country and easily the most popular sporting attraction in Dudley borough.

• Like 1

You are the fool if you think these promoters have gone into this blind and not done the research.

Well - It would be a clever person who could show research to indicate the sport was thriving, profitable or sustainable etc. . .

Well - It would be a clever person who could show research to indicate the sport was thriving, profitable or sustainable etc. . .

Maybe. If you read an earlier communiqué about this development, you would understand the many hoops that they have had to go through to get to this stage. Damned if they do, damned if they don't, but the critics will always be right. Easiest seat in the house.

• Like 3

When you talk to them they paint the picture that they are but trying to get them to support anything in practise is extremely difficult.

There aren't any Councillors in Manchester looking for a transfer are there? :lol:

• Like 2

Even I can't knock this latest news. Awesome stuff :)