British Speedway Forum
Dave Stummings

Rye House V Somerset 7th June

Teams used to fear coming to Rye House, they were beaten before a wheel was turned. Now they're rubbing their hands together. I can see more home defeats coming. It ain't gonna be pretty. The rider I feel sorry for is Edward Kennett. The pressure on him to perform must be immense. Everyone who thought replacing Simon Lambert was the answer has had a dose of realism. Doubt whether the result would've been any different had Garrity, Tres & Nielsen been in the side. Ritchie Hawkins did all that was asked and more, Tres ain't really set the place alight and Nielsen hadn't made it past the first bend yet, so who knows.

My main concern has been the form of Steve Boxall lately. Obviously riding sub standard machinery, clutch problem I was told, been a problem for a couple of weeks.

KO Cup next weekend. The season could be over by Sunday evening.

Edited by Shadders

Rye' s team is one heat leader and 6 reserves - although Garrity is now performing better than that.

The gamble hasn't worked although I was prepared to see how they would develop -clearly 2 consecutive thumpings

against a strong Somerset side where a reserve gets a paid maximum have ended the experiment.

That will only see a further decline in confidence which is clearly disappearing fast from many on the side.

Kennett can't be asked to carry a side without support -it will get worse unless another heat leader is signed.

Rye' s team is one heat leader and 6 reserves - although Garrity is now performing better than that.

The gamble hasn't worked although I was prepared to see how they would develop -clearly 2 consecutive thumpings

against a strong Somerset side where a reserve gets a paid maximum have ended the experiment.

That will only see a further decline in confidence which is clearly disappearing fast from many on the side.

Kennett can't be asked to carry a side without support -it will get worse unless another heat leader is signed.

I believe the "experiment", was the result of cost cutting to pay for the air fence. Why else would you dispense with the services of the Swedes and re-sign Simon Lambert?

The Nelson debacle didn't help, but in my opinion he would've added nothing to the side as he is too erratic and unprofessional in his attitude. He still needs to grow up before even thinking about attempting a come back.

Steve Boxall is still having equipment issues. Where have we seen that before? It's a real shame. A genuine talent, no doubt.

Take a look at Paul Starke and Ritchie Hawkins. Couldn't buy a point when they were with us, but now flourishing in teams that are high on confidence with a proper management set up and a professional attitude. Rye House still has the feeling of a nice little day out for Silver and his mates. It's a hobby for him. His "it's my way, or the highway". attitude isn't helping. You all heard him on the mic when the Jason Doyle situation blew up. It's HIS team, he does it HIS way. Well, your way ain't working old boy. Either give us a proper team next year, or don't bother. I don't know how many meetings like last night I can take

Edited by Shadders
  • Like 4

The bit I cant understand is all these statements are probably correct::

"Len spent all the money on the air fence"

"the foreigners are too expensive"

"With this team the crowd will drop from 600 to 400"

"when it comes to money Lens not stupid"

Well the loss of 200 fans @ £16 per person equates to £3,200 per meeting and with 11 team home meetings left this season that a revenue loss of £35,200.

That would easily pay for Mellgren, decent equipment for Boxall (was always going to do well until bike issues arose, I understand he blagged it last season) and perhaps one other.

Its easy to say the old boy has "lost it" but he did build Generation Next last year and with Kennett, Mellgren, Asprgren and Nelson (so please keep things balanced) I actually believe he was unlucky to land up in this situation BUT as explained above he CAN still do something about it, I actually think a successful team will do better than 600 and this team will be less that 400. Look at what Somerset did this year when their team plans went a rye (pun intended).

Come on Len true fans do know what you have done since 2000 but we don't what to go on the Ronnie Russell Revival Tour of 1993.

Most of what you say I agree with Rayleigh, but look what happened at Newport. Threw loads of money at the team and won the KOC, but crowds stayed away and they folded. Sometimes throwing money at it isn't always the right thing to do. My main concern is that he's taken his eye off the ball where signing young talent is concerned. Sure, we have Jason Garrity, but where are the likes of Tai, Danny King, Edward Kennett etc.. They are around, but other sides are signing them

The £ note issue is as stated the main reason for a lack of quality riders. But remember the revenue for each meeting isn't all straight into Lens pocket. There's medical cover, that don't come cheap, there is travel money for the Rye riders, insurances, bonds, stadium running costs, shale, rates, etc etc.

What is the answer? Well we know when ever a outside co-promoter has come in in the past they haven't lasted very long. I guess Colin Pratt was the longest.

So Len needs to do what Bob Dugard does, get someone to run the team and Lenny looks after the track.

Certainly the team manager has to be the most boring inept manager of any sport. When for example Raiders or Kent go to Buxton he's convinced the team they're beaton before they even arrive.

So a complete clear out. But will it happen? Yes I think it will. Nobody will turn up to support the Rockets. Supporters are already walking with there feet by not turning up.

Len will either drop down to the National League or get another outside party to run Rye, but by which time it will be to late and the fans will have found other things to do with there hard earned cash.

Two years is the time limit and unless major changes are sought I recon Rye House Speedway will close and that will be it,

Speedway is on the slide and the crowds are down everywhere. Promoters have to up their game to keep hold of the fans that are left. Is len the man for the job, who knows?

Speedway is on the slide and the crowds are down everywhere. Promoters have to up their game to keep hold of the fans that are left. Is len the man for the job, who knows?

I've noticed that at Plymouth & Somerset this year. The crowd at Somerset for a young exciting team that's demolishing opponents at home was very disappointing. Somerset fans may say that it's outside the holiday season, but I've been there in June before and the crowd levels were much higher than that. Speedway in this country is on the decline, of that there is no doubt. Edited by Shadders

I've noticed that at Plymouth & Somerset this year. The crowd at Somerset for a young exciting team that's demolishing opponents at home was very disappointing. Somerset fans may say that it's outside the holiday season, but I've been there in June before and the crowd levels were much higher than that. Speedway in this country is on the decline, of that there is no doubt.

eastbourne, lakeside, kent and rye are the four tracks I visit the most. The crowds are down at all of these venues, some drastically. Personally I don't think speedway can be saved in this country at its present level. Years of neglect and taking its punters for mugs have taken its toll. In my eyes we have already reached the point of no return.
  • Like 1

"Len spent all the money on the air fence"

The air fence would have cost Len very little if anything at all - the landfill would have paid for that! ;)

Promoters should be running clubs as a business, I know which club I'd rather be involved with come November when the books are being settled. yes Sometset thrashed us over the two meetings but at what cost to the Somerset bank balance?

Len is shrewd and also calculated, is hazard a guess that he would also welcome other investors into the team as well!!

I seem to recall reading a couple of years ago that Len has never lost money at Rye in any given season.

I suspect he is looking at his estimate of income for the season and signing riders to that budget. I can't see Len breaking the bank to build an expensive team, but does that mean attendances continue to dwindle.

There is a tipping point but when ?

I wonder if the playoff system affects us with team building. Rather than put a side together to finish top of the table do we look to sneak into the playoffs and hope to win them?

The team this year was always going to be a gamble. Eddie was always going to score well & Garrity has finally got his form back but the rest of the side is far too inconsistent to be successful.

• Like 1

As a Rebels supporter I quite enjoyed myself last night, an excellent performance at a place we do not generally do well at.It was good to speak to Shadders and a few other members of the crowd. I don`t really want to be drawn on which direction Rye should or should not go in, just give my opinion on the match itself.

Kennett - He looks to me like a rider bereft of confidence. Only two firsts for him and the heat 15 one Brady was right on his tail pipe until he did a 360. He also grabbed a second from Brady in heat 10 when he lifted slightly coming off the forth bend lap3.

In heat 13 he was a distant last.

Bowen - Double figures from reserve in the April fixture with three wins, in the main body one point and a fall.

Hawkins - Good replacement for Tres, massive jump in heat 9 saw him hit the first bend one bike length in front, but he was always in the mix.

Boxall - One point from four starts. If his bike was so poor , does he have a spare, or maybe come out on someone elses bike.

Simota - Three points all 1-5`s.

Bunyan - Good FTG in heat 7 with a hard charging Brady Kurtz behind then three distant lasts.

Morley - Sorry, miles off the pace. Finished in front of Boxall in their private race at the back in heat 14.

Robbo - Denied a max by a good effort from kennet in heat 15, very classy in the other four races never troubled.Great replacement for Nick.

​Wrighty - Continues to impress at number 2,some super fast starts.

Brady - A delight everytime I watch this kid, he wants to win every race, really had a go at Kennett in heat 15, Gary`s heart must have been in his mouth....mine was.

Aspgren - Said an early hello to the safety fence in heat 3 but stayed on, missed the gate in heat 7,then beat Kennett by a mile in heat 10 and ditto to Ritchie in heat 14.

Allen - Wanted to show the Rockets what they were missing I think, great battle with Ritchie in heat 9.

Todd - Struggled , not sure if he had bike issues.

Starke - MOM for me, paid max and not all points won from the gate.Passed both Rockets in a race twice.

Perfect answer by the Rebels after the catastrophe of thursday, can`t wait for next friday`s return against Ippo.