British Speedway Forum
Haza

First Wednesday In June British Finals At Brandon

Listening to Pearson last night going on about the British Final at Wolverhampton in a few weeks and him going on about how good it will be and a massive crowd expected made me think of Coventry British Finals on the first Wednesday in June in the 70s and 80s I'd guess 10k in the stadium not just packed on the start line like it will be at Wolverhampton but a full stadium all 16 riders coming from the top league - I seem to remember one year the top 3 went straight into the World Final - also the year it was rained off 3 times I seem to remember .

They was great memories of a then great event that really ment something to be crowned British Champion .

Listening to Pearson last night going on about the British Final at Wolverhampton in a few weeks and him going on about how good it will be and a massive crowd expected made me think of Coventry British Finals on the first Wednesday in June in the 70s and 80s I'd guess 10k in the stadium not just packed on the start line like it will be at Wolverhampton but a full stadium all 16 riders coming from the top league - I seem to remember one year the top 3 went straight into the World Final - also the year it was rained off 3 times I seem to remember .

They was great memories of a then great event that really ment something to be crowned British Champion .

It's all relative though.

The British Champion is still the 'British Champion'. He STILL has to win it.

For any brit, other than the chsp defending the title, to win this year, they will need to beat the reigning world champion to do so - so I think its fair to say it still means something.

You are right though haza, in the 70s if the world finsl was at wembley the top four would typically go direct ftom the british final to the world final. The same applied to swedes and poles in their years ss final host (though I think the poles may have picked their riders to be seeded).

1978 was rained off twice if I recall, finally going ahead just over a fortnight before Wembley with the top four going straight to world final, it was the year of the sugar in the tank incident that stopped PC making it to Wembley

in 1965, 1967 and 1969 6 went straight through to Wembley from the British final, 5 in 1972 but all those times the British final included the Aussies and Kiwi's.

By 1975 it was just the Brits and only 4 went through, same as 1978.

In 1981 the Brits only progressed to the Overseas final then the Inter Contintinental Final before the World final itself and because he was not racing in Britain Peter Collins was not allowed to take part. It was the only ever Wembley final with no guarantee of home participation although even without guaranteed places we still managed 4 riders in it

Edited by Oldace
  • Like 1

Between 76 and 83 it was usually the highlight of the Brandon season for me - as it meant there was no Ole Olsen on view!

Between 76 and 83 it was usually the highlight of the Brandon season for me - as it meant there was no Ole Olsen on view!

You seem to think the same about Olsen as I do about Sepp Blatter. Personally I think we are both right. :t:

You seem to think the same about Olsen as I do about Sepp Blatter. Personally I think we are both right. :t:

Spot on, TWK - and I felt that way long before the GPs came along

Edited by Midland Red
  • Like 1