British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
montie

Sheffield V Scunthorpe Pl 12/6/14

Both leagues are dying on their feet . Every meeting you go to , very few teams roll up with their declared 1-7 , it's becoming farcical

I loved the days of a regular 1 to.7 , the fans could identify with them and would often have a favourite.Having 4 or 5 pointers in the team who were a valuable member of the team was great and they usually stayed for a long time.When i first went Briggo was the star but i loved watching Clive Hitch he was no star but loyal and exciting to watch.We have lost that a bit now, that is why I was so disappointed that Birmingham did not win the league last year they morally did for me turning up with a regular 1 to 7.

The double up/down rule has killed team speedway for me.The riders seem to just treat it as just another meeting/wage .How can it be taken seriously when you get riders riding for 3 teams in one country to a newcomer?.What was the point in us signing proctor ? he hardly rides for us making us very weak.Not good business for the home or away club.With clubs having falling gates it might be an option for the better supported clubs to join 1 league and the others form an amateur/national league type set up !!!!!!!!!

Signing proctor seems to be some kind of pay back for the help given to the young Bates.

In the Sheffield Star:-

Tigers ‘can’t afford to lose at home again’ insists boss Screen

Sheffield Tigers boss Joe Screen admits enough is enough after another sorry home showing.

The Tigers were thumped 49-41 by fierce rivals Scunthorpe on Thursday night – their third home humbling of the season at the hands of the Lincolnshire side.

They remain bottom of the Premier League and face a wait of almost a fortnight for another league meeting, but Screen insists any decision on whether or not to draft in new blood will not be his.

Screen said: “It is frustrating for everyone involved.

“We’ve got a terrific number one in Simon Stead leading from the front, but he isn’t getting the back-up he needs.

“We were without Ty Proctor the other night which didn’t help and his rides only earned five points.

“He would have been a good bet to get more than that given the way he has been riding, but we may well still have been beaten

“We’ve lost so many meetings to the weather and it is not easy to get race fitness or bike problems sorted when only riding once a week.

“But we can’t make excuses anymore. We can’t afford to lose at home again.

“I don’t do the hiring and firing – that is someone else’s remit. But are there any riders out there anyway?”

Screen insists he has plenty of sympathy for the likes of Taylor Poole and Simon Nielsen who have struggled for form throughout 2014.

He added: “I can feel for them because I’ve been there myself during my career.

“We’ve got Taylor suffering with machinery. He broke a rocker-arm on Thursday which is no-one’s fault. There is nothing he could have done – it’s just bad luck and that’s the situation we’re in.

“Young Josh Bates is still getting trouble from his back and a couple of others are just not doing it.

“I can assure the fans that some serious talking will go on behind the scenes. We’re not just going to let disappointing results like that one on Thursday go.”