British Speedway Forum
Brummie Kev

Birmingham Future In Doubt ? Alan Phillips Has Had Enough!

Stop pandering to the lowest common denominator and change the sport radically

A ten team Elite League with half racing on a Monday and half on a Thursday. A complete home and away season with each team meeting twice.

A limit of 42.5 carved in stone, if the same number of teams compete then it is the perfect limit.

Riders paid on a sliding scale per point massively less than now. eg average 10 and over £100.00 per point, 8 - 10 £80.00 per point etc. If the riders dont like it, tough

All clubs effectively a franchise of one organisation, gate receipts and income pooled and riders paid out centrally.

Then move on to how the whole thing is packaged, forget the "Bert and Ada wedding anniversary request" type presenter. An extreme sport need loud anthemic type music/flashing light type presentation. The whole evening should be joined together, not 15 1 minute bursts then quiet.

Get the race winners to do a lap of the circuit to some accompanying music not scurrying back to the pits, almost snapping off footrests in their haste to get there.

Yes of course some current fans wont like the new version, some current clubs will not even be able to take part but it is inevitable that there is collateral damage in any big re organisation.

To be honest that is mostly "on the hoof" but the sport definately now needs to be looking towards major change

And to think I thought I was alone in wanting this.

Edited by oldtimer
  • Like 1

Part of the problem is the cost of speedway. Alan Phillips has complained about crowd numbers but it's expensive to go to speedway.

Two adults and two kids would cost £40 before programmes, car parking and any drinks the kids might want - call it £50 per week.

Times are tough and most tracks run every week. Even at three times per month, families can't afford £150-£200 per month on speedway. There's no easy answer to it because if the clubs ran every other week to cut costs then a rain off or two might mean no home meeting for a month. With riders refusing to ride if someone spills so much as a cup of tea on the track, people are unwilling to travel far if the weather is bad.

No club has done more than Birmingham in providing reduced admission/groupon deals to attract supporters
  • Like 2

basically you will only attract the crowds with a team that are going to challenge every season. the admission prices at Birmingham are quite high and the actual view on the bends isn't that great tbh. plus bar prices/food etc aren't the cheapest. times are hard and as somebody else said how many can actually afford 50 pound for a night out . i certainly cant.. thanks Mr Phillips you've kept Birmingham going but time for a new owner with new ideas

No club has done more than Birmingham in providing reduced admission/groupon deals to attract supporters

Does that actually attract new supporters, or simply allow existing supporters who would have paid full price to get in at a discount?

• Like 2

I think it's for the best long term, I didn't see much of a future under Phillips, while one under different stewardship is far from certain, a chance at one has to be better than the slow death we were heading for with the status quo.

Some good posts and I agree 100% that Speedway is no longer value for money. These days a family can have a full day out for £50, at no point does speedway even begin to compare.

I'm lucky and can pretty much do whatever I want, however I rarely take the kids to speedway because it frankly rubbish. I'm off to the T20 on Friday, happily spend £50 entrance, £25 on food and drink plus maybe £40 or £50 on merchandise for the kids. At least I know we'll get 2hrs+ of entertainment in a decent venue with a bit of atmosphere.

Sadly I cannot see how speedway can recover from its current situation, the sport has been in decline for 20 years and it ain't gonna stop anytime soon.

• Like 4

When things are going so well for your own club its quite easy to forget the problems other teams are facing. I really feel for Birmingham and sincerely hope it works out for you..

Promoters are arrear breed. People who are prepared to put their own wealth on the line, and gamble everything, when historically its a hard business to succeed in. Such is the cost, it must make it very daunting to attract someone new into the game. When taking over an existing stadium and team, Its not possible to start at the bottom and gradually improve like some ventures. The public and fans want it now, straight away, and if not they wont bother to go and support you.

It may appear the Lynn Stars have it all. Own track, No close competitors, Loyal fan base, but it don't happen over night. Have no doubt that Buster and co have worked really hard over the years to reach the position they are now. We are so fortunate to have someone at the helm like Buster Chapman.

Buster was always in it for the long haul and knows it has to be done right. Treat everyone with respect, The Riders, The Supporter, The BSPA and they will respect you in return. There is no Quick Fix.. or a Quick Buck......

Hate to see any club fold, and sincerely hope a solution is found to save what was once a massive club........

• Like 4

As a Coventry supporter I have regularly made visits to Birmingham and enjoyed my Wednesday evenings, I hope it results in an amicable solution. Just to comment about Speedway I have followed it over 50 years Andover one of the things I enjoy is being able to view the pits, watching the technical adjustments made by riders, their reactions at the end of of races, it's all part and parcel of speedway viewing. This is not possible at Wolves, Brummies or even Leicester a new stadium which should have considered it when building the new stadium which I think is a great stadium and shows what can be done.

• Like 1

Some good posts and I agree 100% that Speedway is no longer value for money. These days a family can have a full day out for £50, at no point does speedway even begin to compare.

I'm lucky and can pretty much do whatever I want, however I rarely take the kids to speedway because it frankly rubbish. I'm off to the T20 on Friday, happily spend £50 entrance, £25 on food and drink plus maybe £40 or £50 on merchandise for the kids. At least I know we'll get 2hrs+ of entertainment in a decent venue with a bit of atmosphere.

Sadly I cannot see how speedway can recover from its current situation, the sport has been in decline for 20 years and it ain't gonna stop anytime soon.

if you can afford all that your more than lucky in this climate, good luck to you

This is not possible at Wolves, Brummies or even Leicester a new stadium which should have considered it when building the new stadium which I think is a great stadium and shows what can be done.

Both Birmingham and Leicester had to close their pits off to shield as much noise as possible or we wouldn't have got planning at all. I agree that it's not ideal but it is a necessary evil.

I've said in the past speedway needs to reposition itself as a ten or twelve pound sport and reducer expenses by using cheaper machinery, riders going part time and riding for one team whatever

Got totally shot down by many but .....

• Like 7

No surprise to anyone. I do feel if they had invested a little more in a slightly better team the crowds would have been better and losses would have been less.

If forced to go NL i cant see that surviving. PL possibly but will the crowds return?

The whole league needs a complete shake up. Elite with too few clubs too repetitive.

I've said in the past speedway needs to reposition itself as a ten or twelve pound sport and reducer expenses by using cheaper machinery, riders going part time and riding for one team whatever

Got totally shot down by many but .....

Agree with those points, plus No Ht 15, end this drawing out meetings,they need to be moved along quicker, and have something like an American style 2nd half of 5/6 races with all riders facing each other. Then have a proper Interval between the the two meetings, run properly they would still end about the same time as now.

• Like 2

Agree with those points, plus No Ht 15, end this drawing out meetings,they need to be moved along quicker, and have something like an American style 2nd half of 5/6 races with all riders facing each other. Then have a proper Interval between the the two meetings, run properly they would still end about the same time as now.

I rememberer second halves and people used to say they were meaningless so they were ended

If they were to return I would favour a season long Grand Prix like competition where second half final wins garnered points plus two or three reserve scurries

I rememberer second halves and people used to say they were meaningless so they were ended

If they were to return I would favour a season long Grand Prix like competition where second half final wins garnered points plus two or three reserve scurries

I previously suggested a return to the old 13 heat matches, plus a full 2nd half, with reserve/no.8 races and the old "Rider of the Night" heats and final accruing points throughout the season as qualification for the end of season League Riders Championship - this would make the 2nd halves more meaningful, climaxed by a final which ought, in theory, to bring the four top riders into contest

And following on from the recent rain-off shenanigans, there would be more chance of completing a full 13 heat match on rainy evenings - no meetings to be decided over less - and a time limit for matches to be completed (allowing for unavoidable delays)

• Like 1