British Speedway Forum
Brummie Kev

Birmingham Future In Doubt ? Alan Phillips Has Had Enough!

Firstly, make sure the fighting fund's never made available to the busted speedway company so it never becomes an asset of that busted company ...

Then, if the fighting fund's organizers feel catching-up the track-rent is the top priority towards any resumption of the Brummies, try to strike a private deal with the GRA to use part/all of that fighting fund to settle what they're owed by the busted company so that the GRA withdraw entirely from any list of creditors awaiting any degree of payment from the dregs of the busted company when it's finally wound up ...

To be fair AC, the fighting fund being made available to the Phillips' was never an option. Contributors made it plain that if any of their money was going to end up in the hands of the operating company, they just wouldn't give any.

Both Phillips snr and jnr have insisted that Birmingham Brummies Ltd is not insolvent, and as far as I'm aware the company isn't - yet. But from what I've read elsewhere, bankruptcy could be the next step.

Potentially, this saga could run for a fair while yet, and equally, things may still get nasty for the Phillips clan.

Edited by Leicester Hunter

Not read through all this thread but what are the chances that Cradley could take over Perry Barr next year? There you have a club with big fan base looking for a track and a track now not been used, not that much further then Monmore.

Over my dead body.

• Like 4

Some people have been watching too much Channel 4 and think that the Brummies gets its fans from Benefits Street.

Personally I think that the Birmingham supporters have enough pride and dignity not to need any offers of charity in this manner. Birmingham supporters are still speedway fans, not refugees. If they go to another track it will be with heads held high not on the lookout for the speedway equivalent of a blanket and a bowl of soup.

It has nothing to do with "benefits Street" or "refugees"

It is simply a good business move from Mick Horton. He knows there are a few hundred prospective customers probably now looking for a new place to watch their speedway. It is likely the Birmingham season ticket holders would not have gone to other clubs as regulars in the short term so it is a move that costs nothing with the potential to create more Coventry fans next year.

While the Coventry angle is clearly a small loss leader to get new customers in it works well for the Birmingham season ticket holders lessening the loss on their outlay in some way.A win win situation a midst an almighty mess left behind by the Phillips'

• Like 3

Over my dead body.

Assuming your comment wasn't "tongue in cheek" - with respect it wouldn't be your decision, nor anything to do with you if PBGRA adopted another club to pay for the facility that is there.

Guest GiveusaB

Over my dead body.

AND MINE!

If the people of Birmingham dont want speedway they wont turn up. This has happened and now the end result is the doors are shut. Speedway is the same as any company, if you dont bring in more than is going out there will only be one outcome. Shame but true.

If the people of Birmingham dont want speedway they wont turn up. This has happened and now the end result is the doors are shut. Speedway is the same as any company, if you dont bring in more than is going out there will only be one outcome. Shame but true.

What if the people of Birmingham want Speedway, but don't want a fool and his son running ruining it?

• Like 3

But if you re-read the first of Starman2006's posts about "weekly payers", there was never any suggestion that this category should also be let in to Brandon free of charge ... instead, just the phrase "some sort of offer" was used as a way of pointing out that maybe it's in Coventry's interest to encourage all of Birmingham's supporters along to the Bees' meetings.

All Neil Watson then did was admit confusion and ask for an explanation of the "weekly paying" reference ... if someone in his position within speedway needs any explanation or clear-up of so basic a reference, I stand by my earlier comment that it's staggering ignorance on his part.

so how can you tell who is and isn't an ex brummie fan then? this is pure nonsense and perhaps if a few more fans paid entrance to Birmingham they wouldn't be in the mess they are!

as i have worked in Birmingham for 25 years and can put the accent on or off i look forward to my bonus cheep entry for the rest of the season!

they have honoured the money people have paid, what more can you expect? is this truly something for nothing society now?

Sad day for Birmingham fans and hope this isn't taken the wrong way but am I right in thinking that Coventry, Wolves, Cradley and Scunthorpe are all giving season ticket holders free entry? So any fan with a Birmingham ticket can now get 4 meetings for the price of 1?

Interview with Tony Mole and Tiff on the link below. Tony says hes to hold a meeting in August with former sponsors of the Brummies to try and get a consortium together to bring the club back next year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02202rr - Skip to 01:36:00

• Like 1

TOSSER!

I'd like to second that opinion.

What if the people of Birmingham want Speedway, but don't want a fool and his son running ruining it?

I still maintain Phillips antics has put plenty off over the last 18 months, no disrespect, but plenty of outsiders seem to underestimate how much damage this man did to the crowd levels, I've seen plenty who said they woulden't be returning while he was in charge.

It's a great gesture by Coventry, Wolves, Bell Vue etc, but I won't be using it as I am a one club man, Brummies or nothing for me.

Edited by david2905

Sad day for all connected with the Brummies, in particular those who fought so hard to bring the sport back to the city. Here's hoping for a swift return in 2015.

• Like 3

What happens to other teams points etc are results just voided?

• Like 1

What happens to other teams points etc are results just voided?

Looking at the table earlier. They already have.