British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Definitely wasn't the best Cardiff GP ever, but not the worst by any means and certainly after last years farce it was an improvement. Thought really that Ward was the best on view, but he's still prone to the odd lapse. Falling in heat 8 when the win was in the bag, and then picking gate 1 in the final, leaving Hancock the better performing gate 4 was also dubious.

A good slick running which the British promoters should look at. OK they cant afford the sort of things on show last night, but the quick turnaround between riders leaving the track and the next four coming on shouldn't be that hard to implement. Even the trip back out was easy, as we were back in the Midlands at 10 45, not in the small hours as normal

HANCOCK would have picked gate 1 had Ward not beaten him to it...

Did he mention what he did with Middlos testimonial money?

And Eric Boocock's?

LEGEND is a word like brave and tragic bandied too loosely at times around but, frankly, a speedway rider who has competed in all 175 GPs and can still win one, in addition to all his other achievements, is a legend in my book.

In my humble opinion if there is any criticism due it should be aimed at those riders unable to pass a 44-year-old rather than Greg for using all his skill and experience to make great starts. Catch me if you can springs to mind.

Woffinden and Hancock both praised the Cardiff track - "the best I have ridden" said Tai - but there are undoubtedly some weak links in the GP field this year with Bjerre seemingly without confidence and Batchelor unable to find his Danish form. On track entertainment would undoubtedly have been enhanced with the likes a fit Holder and Sayfutdinov but it is the whole Cardiff package that resinates with me.

Popped back to the Millennium this morning at 10am to collect my car and all signs of a speedway track had already gone. Quite an achievement.

• Like 3

Many congratulations to all involved with putting on yesterday's grand prix. I thought the presentation was excellent; light show, rider introductions and centre green announcements and the slickness of getting through the heats was first class. I also acknowledge all the work done on the track this year after last year's fiasco to make it the best surface possible. All this led to a great atmosphere with everybody enjoying themselves.

Given the excellence of the presentation it was always going to be a challenge for the racing to match it and I have to say i thought it fairly average but there's only so much you can do with a temporary track. For pure racing the bench mark, I feel, this year has to be Malilla which served up terrific racing and was a great advert for the sport .

Many congratulations to Greg - to win an event of this nature at 44 is some achievement. However I have to agree with those who aren't totally enamored with his riding style. Whilst acknowledging his technical excellence from the gate and ability at picking and defending a line, he's dull to watch and I can't really recall him passing too often when ever I've seen him. At the end of the day the sport needs people who can come from the back as well as trap so well done Tai, Darcy and anyone else capable of passing; they are the entertainers of our sport. Its a bit like the late 80s and early 90s in Formula 1; Alain Prost " the little professor" versus the late great Ayrton Senna.

Anyway all in all I enjoyed the day and hope that the Cardiff experience continues to be the showpiece in the GP calendar for many years to come.

Oh yes one more comment: didn't think the fanzone worked in its new location, far too cramped plus same old format.

• Like 2

If people want to moan they will always find something that wasn't right. Some people are like that. To me, our family had a fantastic weekend. truly brilliant. Everything was amazing, The City, The Culture, The People, The Food, The Hotels, The Place, The Atmosphere, The Excitement, The Stadium, The Presentation, The Buzz. it was all simply amazing. Made me feel proud to be British......

The Speedway was fitting of a World Championship. Would have liked to seen Woffy win but Greg was the next best thing. Can't wait till 2015.........

BSI: was totally impressed, that that's takes some doing...... Presentation simply awesome.......... Don't ever anyone tell me Wembley was better.. :t:

• Like 6

There were no draught beers only cans that were being poured to order

Eh?

The bar we went to at the Heat 12 interval was ready loaded with pre-poured pints of Brains Smooth and Fosters.

Niamh

Eh?

The bar we went to at the Heat 12 interval was ready loaded with pre-poured pints of Brains Smooth and Fosters.

Niamh

Sounds like I was in the wrong place then. We were in U5 and the kiosks immediately behind us were closed. The steward directed me to the nearest one which was rubbish. Probably because it was one of the more sparsely populated areas I suppose.

I think the fact that Hancock is still riding at this level and winning at 44 is quite remarkable....he is also a really nice bloke and fantastic for sponsors etc.....but he is never a rider that will add lots of fans to a gate...he is never a rider that fans would turn out specially to see or for fans to want to return to a track because that have seen him ride....he hasn't got that something extra, something that a lot of lesser riders have had over the years

None of this is Hancock's fault....he just is not a very exciting rider or a particuarly exciting personality ...but he is a great ambassador for the sport but I don't think many people will have him in their all time lists in a few years because of the reasons I have said

• Like 3

The bar we went to after heat 0,4,8,12,16 🍺🍻🍺🍷🍻🍷 hic! served pre-poured draught beer, albeit crappy Fosters. I've watched from all areas of the stadium and all serve the same.

Great weekend. 😀😀😀

• Like 1

Greg Hancock is the nearest equivilant of todays riders to Ivan Mauger.

Like Ivan, Greg is a gate and go, 'safe' rider who won't take many risks, and like Ivan this is why he has avoided any significant injury during his long career.

Jason Crump virtually said exactly this during the pre meet talk on Eurosport.

No-one wants to see riders getting hurt, but it's the Wards, Lorams, Collins and Gollobs we need.

No-ones DVD shelf is ever going to strain under the weight of 'Greg Hancock's Most Thrilling Rides".

I have a quite large video archive of 70's speedway with hundreds of races featuring Ivan Mauger.

I cannot bring to mind a single, solitary race amongst that archive where Ivan actually overtakes anyone.

Superslick, professional master craftsmen at work or 'fly by the seat of your pants' thrill merchants?

No contest.

• Like 1

I've watched from all areas of the stadium and all serve the same.

Great weekend. 😀😀😀

Blimey I must have imagined the whole thing then! Perhaps I'd drunk too much and it was all just a dream.

I know a lot of people come on here just to moan but believe me there wasn't a draught pint in sight where I was, it's quite an important thing to me so trust me I would have noticed!

And the crowd was?

I thought it was quite big, third tier way more people than before if my memory serves me. Nigel mentioned 50k in his commentating...

And the crowd was?

I thought it was quite big, third tier way more people than before if my memory serves me. Nigel mentioned 50k in his commentating...

Did he mention what he did with Middlos testimonial money?

Will lookforward too the book!

Blimey I must have imagined the whole thing then! Perhaps I'd drunk too much and it was all just a dream.

I know a lot of people come on here just to moan but believe me there wasn't a draught pint in sight where I was, it's quite an important thing to me so trust me I would have noticed!

No issue where we were back straight middle tier plenty of draught beer available.

Well, we went for the weekend and have done for the last ten years! I'm already looking forward to next year! The presentation was by far the best yet, ( although you could see the riders arriving in the white rental van, get out and go into the tent) ;) the atmosphere was off the scale, unbelievable in fact, made the hair on the back of your neck stand, WOW! I wanted Tai or Nicki to win, but it was a superb weekend, with superb company. I haven't laughed so much in a long time.. :approve:

I've just got up to the start of the meeting on the recording and the presentation looked even better on TV and the atmosphere electric How anyone can scoff at the Bristish GP is beyond me!!

Edited by Jacques
  • Like 1

Except the hotels take the piss. .

not if you do your homework .you could have stopped at the university or the youth hostel for less than £20 and they are clean and tidy rooms if a little basic. This year we stopped in travelodge in caerphilly (8miles from cardiff) got a family room for £58 and we only booked it last week. Those prices are hardly a rip off
  • Like 2

Superb day and evening. Anyone that fancies a moan ought to be put in a padded cell for a while. Roll on 2015.

• Like 4

Oh no! No draught where you were, feel your pain my friend.