British Speedway Forum
Shadders

Rye House V Workington... 5th July, 7pm

First visit to Rye house last night and hopefully not my last. A great bunch of fans who made us Worky fans feel very welcome and the lovely man (can;t remember his name) who took 4 of us onto centre green to watch the action, you are a credit to your team and going by all posts on here its about time your promotion stopped taking you for granted. I really hope it turns around for you guys and Rye House doesn't become another team lost to British Speedway.

A great performance from Worky didn't think we would come away with a scoreline like that, we were chuffed to bits and had a very happy Supporters bus on the long journey home :drink:

Well done Comets and best wishes to Rye House for the future

Edited by Taylorj
  • Like 3

Did forget to mention great food and drink in the Rye Pub outside the ground, met a few Aussies who came and stood with us, who have since ordered a comets southern tour t shirt each. Great stuff.

Ohh the only negative is I couldn't get on the go kart track must book ahead next time....

• Like 2

Neath was public enemy number one til about the season before his career ending injuries. What I'd give to have someone like him in the team now, especially at home!

you must of been watching another chris neath.

Modd

No one is suggesting that the riders aren't trying. As you quite rightly say they heed to score to earn. However the 1 heat leader 6 Reserves policy just isn't working especially with Kennett under performing. The side is destined for the wooden spoon. If the side had been hit by injuries then it would be palatable, but it hasn't, it wasn't good enough in the first place.

Don't like your criticism of Shadders either. He tells it as he is. He is a proper fan, travelling everywhere to support his team. If he criticises something it is because it deserves to be criticised.

Fans like to be proud of their team, win or lose. At the moment there is nothing to be proud of being a Rye House fan.

as i've said before it is motorbike racing NOT football!! be proud that we have a friendly club in no danger of going under and speedway to watch every week!! of course there things that can be improved but fans not turning up but still moaning do not help!!

Taken from the Rye House website - make of it what you will:

An under-strength and under-powered Silver Ski Rockets team was overwhelmed by Workington 56-34 in Hoddesdon on Saturday night.

It was the Rockets’ second home defeat of 20 or more points this season, and the seventh highest suffered in Hertfordshire in their history.

They were always going to be up against it given the tough combination of strong opposition and the absence of World Long Track star Mathieu Tresarrieu. Enforced National League guest replacement Nathan Greaves was duly unable to contribute a point, to leave an obvious hole in Rye’s score-chart.

The Rockets’ problems ran far deeper, however, with leading lights Edwrad Kennett, Jason Garrity and Steve Boxall all suffering mechanical problems. The Comets took full advantage to systematically dismantle the home side with a powerful performance that combined sharp gating and all-round team strength. Unbeaten star Rene Bach, Mason Campton and inspired guest Kasper Lykke were the pick of their bunch, although all six visitors were paid for at least one race win.

The Rockets, in contrast, could manage only five victories in total. Three of those came in the final three races to prevent a 50-22 deficit at the time widening even further.

The one real positive from the match from a home perspective came when Stefan Nielsen took maximum man Bach all the way in Heat 8. The double British U-19 Champion was passed by the Dane on the second lap, but briefly forced his way past again and was only a couple of bike lengths adrift of his adversary at the chequered flag.

Rye House team manager John Sampford admitted afterwards, “We were always going to be on a hiding to nothing with Mathieu Tresarrieu missing and no guest facility available, but our mechanical problems really didn’t help.

“Edward Kennett brought a new engine that was set up for big tracks – he was planning to use it for the first time at Peterborough on Tuesday – but switched to it after problems with his preferred one and finally got a couple of wins.

“Steve Boxall had just got his engine back, but it was down on power, and a snapped chain didn’t help him either. And Jason Garrity blew an engine after his first win, and then experienced clutch problems on his second bike.

“I’m not going to say that we would have got a result without those problems, but they turned a very difficult match into the horror story it became.”

Modd

Just to echo what others have said, I have always found Criss/Shadders posts to be fair, insightful, witty and erudite. Your post is none of those things and your final sentence could be construed as aggressive.

Next meeting I would like to meet you and discuss a few issues with you personally.

I think an apology is called for.

Ps , thanks to the gent from rye house whom I can't remember his name (can anyone help and pass on my thanks) he took myself and 3 other comets fans onto the centre green a big thanks to him, top fella!!

Give us a C!!!*

That was Pete Jordison. A Rye stalwart. That was one great bit of PR. At least Rye House have got something right this year but not for the Rye faithful but the visitor lol Edited by Dave Stummings
  • Like 1

'as i've said before it is motorbike racing NOT football!! be proud that we have a friendly club in no danger of going under and speedway to watch every week!! of course there things that can be improved but fans not turning up but still moaning do not help!!'

I understand what you say but this is the 21st century. Gone are the days when people came to watch good racing. There is so much competition for the entertainment dollar nowadays and people want good racing and a team they are proud of.

As I said if this was a temporary situation due to injuries then fans could stomach it but it isn't. I have supported the Rockets since 1968 and we have finished bottom of the table before and won championships.

Let me ask you a question. Which of these two scenarios make you prouder? Two Rockets make the gate and, with two superb moves, their opponents overtake them to grab a 5-1.....or......Two opponents make the gate and with two superb moves the Rockets overtake them to grab a 5-1. Superb racing in both scenarios.

There is room to strengthen the current team. Let's see if action is taken!

well after reading that report on the website and John Sampfords comments, what a total load of bollox....so Kennett who is an experienced rider turns up iwht one suitable engine?....Sampford should also take a look at his tactical use, or lack of it, Bowen had three rides for two points and still came out for his fourth, Nielsen had had three rides for two pionts and came out for his fourth, yet we had another reserve who was our top scorer with paid ten points, and was one of only two heat winners up until heat thirteen, yet only was gievn five rides?..it wouldnt of changed the result but it would of at least of appeared that the team and management weren't just going though the motions.

Time to throw out Bowen, Tres and Boxall, drastic yes but another two months of this and there will be more riders and hangers on than paying fans....in reality there will be hardly any if no changes.

Edited by Odds On
  • Like 1

highlight of the season for me at rye were the comedy duo on starting gate duty on saturday. It was pure slapstick, and far more entertaining than the meeting!

• Like 2

Think throwing tres out is a bit harsh. He rode well at Ipswich and Sheffield. Bowen will ride for Rye as long as Len is promoter. Boxall is a good second string, but yes can understand your statement about replacing him. Will be interesting to see with Anders Mellgren riding in Lukes meeting if Len brings him in.

I do feel sorry for the team, not there fault Len totally mucked up.

Jason Bunyan for me is the one I feel for. Chucked out as being the captain, don't believe he resigned, yet still rides with as much determination as ever.

Len has gotta move over and let another person run Rye House, that's providing Len don't charge a arm and a leg which knowing Len he will. So either next year we will run with the same team or no speedway at all in my view.

Edited by Dave Stummings
  • Like 1

The reason for gassing Tres is purely down to his Grass/Long track exploits over a weekend....Bowen should of gone by now but get the feeling he is part of the furniture at Rye.

Bowen should of gone by now but get the feeling he is part of the furniture at Rye.

You may be pleasantly surprised at the end of the season, or even sooner if we give generously on Sunday.

you must of been watching another chris neath.

No. Most fans would agree that he was much improved the last season before his injury, he was looking like a real number one and there's nobody who could ride Rye like he could.

as i've said before it is motorbike racing NOT football!! be proud that we have a friendly club in no danger of going under and speedway to watch every week!! of course there things that can be improved but fans not turning up but still moaning do not help!!

We pay the going rate for Premier League speedway, why should we settle for less? The point of any sport is to win not to take part. Threats to be grateful for what you have are a part of this sport which is killing it and if you truly believe that sentiment then that is sad.

• Like 1

No. Most fans would agree that he was much improved the last season before his injury, he was looking like a real number one and there's nobody who could ride Rye like he could.

We pay the going rate for Premier League speedway, why should we settle for less? The point of any sport is to win not to take part. Threats to be grateful for what you have are a part of this sport which is killing it and if you truly believe that sentiment then that is sad.

Ben, you're beginning to make sense. That holiday has done you the world of good!!
  • Like 1