British Speedway Forum
Bagpuss

Eastbourne V King's Lynn 05/07/14

Stevec you have to admit Joonas was pitiful against the Stars he made little or no competitive effort trailing in last and by a country mile at that in all but one of his heats. The only point he score was the result of Iversen falling.His season so far has been poor to say the least. To be honest we would have been better keeping Dryml than signing Kylmakorpi particularly as we are only a home track team.

He retired at the start of the season so wasn't even in the thinking i would imagine.

Do you honestly think people support the play-offs because of the name? It would make no difference what it was called, if the were a home and away match with an aggregate score, people would come. It could be named anything at all. The ORION KC Cup has a nice ring to it

I'm not against the play-offs at the end of the season, just feel it wrong that you ask clubs and fans to support a 36 match league program, then demean any achievement by giving the title to a team that has won a pokcy 4 team KO at the end of the season.

And you wonder why speedway has lost so much support......

2 more teams are going this year....

There's not many left........

Yet rugby union with an almost identical play-off system has best ever attendance levels and the play-off final setting a world record for a domestic league match. None of my former speedway attending acquaintances mention the play-off system as the reason why they

don't attend any more, so struggling to see your point here. Poor standard facilities, too expensive once kids are older to attend as a family, frustration at rain offs are reasons given to me. Clearly you don't like the system but it keeps the season alive for virtually all teams in the table, almost to the end of the season.

Yet rugby union with an almost identical play-off system has best ever attendance levels and the play-off final setting a world record for a domestic league match. None of my former speedway attending acquaintances mention the play-off system as the reason why they

don't attend any more, so struggling to see your point here. Poor standard facilities, too expensive once kids are older to attend as a family, frustration at rain offs are reasons given to me. Clearly you don't like the system but it keeps the season alive for virtually all teams in the table, almost to the end of the season.

That is definitely not the case, because with no KOC some teams finish their home matches in August / early September...

• Like 1

The point is not the existence of the play-offs - its the total lack of reward and prestige the league (table) winning team gets! That is the main objection.

Edited by Star Fever
  • Like 3

That is definitely not the case, because with no KOC some teams finish their home matches in August / early September...

I would say 8 out of 10 teams still have a decent shout of getting in the play-offs. A couple may or may not drop away but the fact remains that the season is still alive for more than half the teams to almost the end of their regular fixtures in early September. Without the play-offs 1 out of 10 have a realistic chance of winning the league. This is why play-off systems were introduced, to keep the season alive for more than 1 or 2 teams at the top, so supporters have something to get excited about when 6th plays 8th for example at the end of August. 4 qualifying out of 10 is about right as it means the league fixtures do matter in making or not making the play-offs. The suggestion of all teams qualifying at the end of the season in 1st v 8th etc is not eliminating enough teams. ko cup is long dead. Suggesting that the play-offs should become the ko cup is worth looking at. My own opinion is this wouldn't work and Sky wouldn't go for it as it doesn't provide the excitement of the ultimate prize being won as the climax to the season. By the way I am just pointing out the benefits of the play-offs. Of course the team that wins the league should be champions, not the team that finishes 2nd, 3rd or 4th. In rugby the game has never been more popular than under this system. Fairness or dramatic ends to seasons - with Sky involved we know the answer and it works for rugby as a sport.

• Like 1

I would say 8 out of 10 teams still have a decent shout of getting in the play-offs. A couple may or may not drop away but the fact remains that the season is still alive for more than half the teams to almost the end of their regular fixtures in early September. Without the play-offs 1 out of 10 have a realistic chance of winning the league. This is why play-off systems were introduced, to keep the season alive for more than 1 or 2 teams at the top, so supporters have something to get excited about when 6th plays 8th for example at the end of August. 4 qualifying out of 10 is about right as it means the league fixtures do matter in making or not making the play-offs. The suggestion of all teams qualifying at the end of the season in 1st v 8th etc is not eliminating enough teams. ko cup is long dead. Suggesting that the play-offs should become the ko cup is worth looking at. My own opinion is this wouldn't work and Sky wouldn't go for it as it doesn't provide the excitement of the ultimate prize being won as the climax to the season. By the way I am just pointing out the benefits of the play-offs. Of course the team that wins the league should be champions, not the team that finishes 2nd, 3rd or 4th. In rugby the game has never been more popular than under this system. Fairness or dramatic ends to seasons - with Sky involved we know the answer and it works for rugby as a sport.

Can't see more than maybe 5 or 6 teams still with a chance TBH.

B'Ham & Leicester are out of it / Eastbourne look like they'll never win away - same with BVue but at least they've got a few away points & Wolves are now losing points at home.

I'd say its between Swindon and Poole to join Coventry & Lakeside with Lynn.

He retired at the start of the season so wasn't even in the thinking i would imagine.

I would think the eagles contacted him and told him they wasnt going to use him before he retired. I know he loved riding for the eagles so as we didnt want to use him I guess he saw best to retire. Could be wrong

In all due respect, comparing Rugby with Speedway in like comparing Moto GP and Football. Two well supported sports that are run totally different.

I except your opinion, but question your logic. The backbone of any sport in the bread and butter basis of league racing. Take that away and their is nothing left. The way you rave on about the Play-offs as the most important matches of the year, but in doing that, you rubbish the integrity of the league principals. The whole principal of the 36 match league program system, is destroyed for the benefit of an additional 4 team KO tournament only lasting 3 weeks. . You expect the fans to turn out and support the league fixtures , and then say its not really a league, it just a qualification to a end of season fiasco.

Do you honestly believe, a team, who languished in the lower regions of the league for the majority season before finishing fourth, deserved the chance to win league . cos to me the rightful Champions last year was Birmingham. ( No way am I getting at Poole, they suffered similarly when Coventry won.) How many times has the league winners actually won the play-offs. That tells you how wrong this system is.

I believe I was brought up the right way, with correct virtues. Knowing right from wrong, Trying to be the best, and respect those who are. Don't rubbish achievement you couldn't achieve. and always trying to better yourself. If you can only win by doing it wrong then you've lost. These are some of the principals that were bestowed on me from an early age, and I've have always used throughout my life. Winning is important, but not at any cost.

• Like 1