British Speedway Forum
mdmc82

The Difference In Attendances At Tracks

Despite all sorts of rumours surrounding Coventry the attendances seem not to have altered -- I just hope that the next 2 seasons (if applicable) remain the same. I am seriously concerned and have my doubts tho' (I hope I'm wrong)

• Like 1

It's not about the winning but apparently winning teams are better supported (didn't happen for Swindon since their title winning season or Brummies who finished top of the pile last year).

For me, it's about value for money primarily. Also having guests or RR and an inconsistent meeting schedule means that people have found better things to do with their money on speedway night. The FTR was the final nail in the coffin for me. There are many that eel the same as I do (and many who don't) but at the end of the day what have promoters done to get people back or new people in??

Biggest problem we have Steve0 is attracting kids to the sport, they are the future.

Biggest problem we have Steve0 is attracting kids to the sport, they are the future.

No.

The big problem, as I see it, is bringing in expensive foreigners at the expense of young British Riders.

Along, of course, with stupid Rules.

Tai Woffinden's rise to prominence has put an extra 7500 - 10000 on the GP gate. A crop of top UK rides will bring crowds back.

Tai Woffinden's rise to prominence has put an extra 7500 - 10000 on the GP gate. A crop of top UK rides will bring crowds back.

I've said exactly that for years. It's not the Worldy foreigners that brings the crowds in, it's home grown talent and if they're local rider's that's even better.

100% why we have to stick with the fast track system or similar with only British at reserve. Look after our own is No'1 priority

• Like 3

Never stopped people going in the old days when Guests were still used ..it's a myth to say people don't go anymore because of that .

But back than guests were hardly needed these days its every match one way or another. People perceive it as amateurish, its not even one guest sometimes its 4 in one team. That is a big reason why some dont attend.

• Like 1

as soon as Lawson isn't riding for the Bears and a guest is used I'm not interested in the fixture, home or away

Edited by ch958

as soon as Lawson isn't riding for the Bears and a guest is used I'm not interested in the fixture, home or away

That's called being selective.

One Rider is NOT the Club. One Supporter less could finish a Club though.

• Like 1

As I see it, the fixture list is very disjointed.

People are not turning up because it is too espensive and they don't know who is going to be representing either team.

Watching the Swedish and Polish leagues on TV - they seem to have got it right. Crowds are good and teams are stronger than the UK.

To start with, we have to go to one night a week. With Poland on Sunday (and sometimes Monday), Sweden on Tuesday, then the UK has to go Thursdays.

Home one weekk, away the next. Cut admission to £12 or £15 including programme.

Until that happens, speedway will continue to decline in the UK.

Edited by KevtheRev
  • Like 3

That's called being selective.

One Rider is NOT the Club. One Supporter less could finish a Club though.

sorry i disagree - once a guest is in a team the fixture is little more than a farce as far as i'm concerned

• Like 2

sorry i disagree - once a guest is in a team the fixture is little more than a farce as far as i'm concerned

We must agree to differ ch958. :)

I do not believe staying away is the answer, in fact, staying away can only damage whichever Club you support.

Why do you think it is that fans in certain areas are not attending? Can understand with eastbourne as too many meetings against heavy depleted teams but Birmingham were top of league for most of last season and still low crowds?

Brummies have not had consistently good crowds since 2007 and we should never have moved up in the first place. Just hope we have the chance of reopening in the Pl next year and have not lost the sport for good in Birmingham :(

Edited by Brummie Kev
  • Like 1

Brummies have not had consistently good crowds since 2007 and we should never have moved up in the first place. Just hope we have the chance of the reopening in the Pl next year and have not lost the sport for good in Birmingham :(

Spot on BK.

I hope so too. :t:

• Like 1

It's a myth that guest riders cause crowds to drop....i first went to speedway in the 70's and there have always been guests ...and if a top rider is absent then the crowds would no doubt be lower if he wasn't replaced by a guest to keep the match competitive..

The problem is that teams have lost their identity now...too many riders are unavailable so teams change too much week by week...fans have less affinity with the riders as they are just on hire for a season....teams change too much each season...it's rare for riders to complete a few seasons with the same team now....there are too many breaks with teams not racing a home match....fans can get out of the habit of going...there is so much more now competing for people's time.....even multi channel TV with non stop sport can stop people going out, especially when the speedway product on offer is not actually that good......basically it's just a completely different era out there and speedway with its present set up, team strengths, rider movement, rider availability and poor product in many cases is not going to compete

• Like 2

Stars put bums on seats.

Take a leaf out of nature's book and cut back to form strong new growth.

Up the team building average, let the strong teams build and the dead wood fall away.

It may look a lttle lean at first but it will trive eventually..

:unsure:

• Like 1